Why do some folks hate NMM and OSL? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do some folks hate NMM and OSL?

Orginal gepostet von Aryanun
    So we\'ve mentioned metallics and NMM, but what about just polishing the metal?

Or MNMM?

(...)
    How the (insert word of personal preference here) can you paint metallic non-metallic metal? STOP MOCKING ME AND MY LACK OF SKILL! :o

Originally posted by Mosch
    Orginal gepostet von Aryanun
    So we\'ve mentioned metallics and NMM, but what about just polishing the metal?

Or MNMM?

(...)
    How the (insert word of personal preference here) can you paint metallic non-metallic metal? STOP MOCKING ME AND MY LACK OF SKILL! :o
    Using the NMM technique or the SENMM technique with mostly metallic paints.

NMM = Non-metalic (paint... acrylic) metal

MNMM = Metalic (enamel) Non-metal (acrylic) metal

huh?
    Are you using boltgun metal, then highlighting with white? i don\'t get it... seems like just using metalics would work better... boltgun metal with minthril silver for highlights.

Well, I like either technique, really. The only reason why I like nmm more is that it comes off a bit cleaner, albeit cartoonier. It\'s also just fun trying to figure out how the light should it, etc. My biggest peeve with metallics is when people treat them as a secondary part of the mini. I\'ve seen tons of incredible, well blended minis that suffer because the metals were just washed with black, and given a quick, rough highlight of boltgun or whatever. Metals need love too, people! On the other hand, when ya paint nmm, it needs to be the same quality as the rest, or it\'ll look crappy.

Metals shmetals, nmm shnmm.

elouchard

Hey, ever notice if you squint and mentally rearrange the letters of SENMM it looks a little nasty. just wondering.

yay for acronyms!

E.

Default dirty painting

Well, since this debate thing keeps raging on, why not toss something new in there.

I have also seen a \'diverse\' set of opinions when it comes to such things as putting mud on cloaks, etc. I have had comments on the same figures where one person hails the placement of mud splatters on the bottom edge of a cloak, and on the boots as well. The next comment will use the dreaded \"H\" word and say that mud should not appear on a mini.. ever!

Oh well, fire away:cool:

Originally posted by t_haye2
    oh for goodness sake, you knew who i meant...and Zaphod is shorter
    Yes he is.:flip:

Sooo Tammy. I kinda got the impression that while you may not *hate* NMM. It seems you dislike it?
    I\'m getting that impression here. And from an article about a warmachine fig (ripperjack?) in Harbinger. (nice article BTW. Quite enjoyed it :))

Some other random thoughts...

I use both and have won competitions online and in real life with both techniques. So how much worse can NMM look?

I found it takes me just as long to blend metallics as it does to do NMM on a weapon.

My preference leans towards NMM for showier models.

I also like how I can jump from sword to cloak to face whilst painting without having to clean all my palettes, cups and brushes to get rid of metal flakes.

NMM has helped me greatly with my blending and (like raginggaijin said) has helped me immensely with metallics as well.

Both look equally good /weird to me on these ridculous weapons and armor that would be a foot thick if scaled up to life sized. It\'s all about exageration isn\'t it? When we highlight a figure\'s cloak folds, or even highlight a weapon edge with mithril silver;We are exagerrating the details and raised areas. NMM is really no different and just becomes a tool in the toolbox.

So I hold no prejudices against either.

That\'s my dollar and a half.

:innocent:

First, just look at the list of the top 50, what do you see more of, NMM or metallics? IF the votes say that more NMM is closer to 10, then the majority prefer it. Second, if people want to hate, we can\'t stop them. We can only change the way we feel. And besides, Yoda says that leads to the darkside. Third, I think that that master\'s painting should be subtitled, \"I\'m not the bugger, he is.\" And last but not really last, I hope that orchid\'s comment about the Paris salon of the late 19th century was an affirmation of the incredible talent that was diminished by the lovers of the impressionists, most of whom would rate about a 3.7 on CMON.

Originally posted by SaxonAngel
    Originally posted by t_haye2
    oh for goodness sake, you knew who i meant...and Zaphod is shorter
    Yes he is.:flip:
    Bah... I will hold my head high...

Ueah I agree totally. I too like both techniques, and i have done models where one or the other just doesn\'t seem right. I also agree about showier models. I think the NMM ultimately looks much tighter, and definately photographs better.

One point I want to stress is that really well done NMM does indeed look GREAT in real. I mean top notch stuff here. I think if folks don\'t agree maybe they have not seen actual award winning NMM in person! At any rate, it is also like CJ says... Another tool at your disposal. Why toss it out?

Default this is a very good analogy...

Originally posted by jean_genie
    You know what this reminds me of? anybody here listen to Yngwie Malmsteen? He was a Swedish \'Neoclassical\' guitar player that came on the scene around the early-to-mid \'80s or so. Malmsteen (and a ton of others) were guys that played guitar blazingly fast, and could play your average Bach piece flawlessly at around 220 bpm.

But when I say \'flawlessly\', I mean without mistakes. The problem with those guys (and I used to listen to them myself, so I\'m not immune to critisicm here) was that their emphasis was on technique, and not feeling, or the overall song. Most of those bands consisted of a shredder guitar player, and a backing band that didn\'t matter. People got bored with talent for the sole sake of talent, and when Guns\'n\'Roses came on the scene, Slash pretty much killed that music himself, with a little help from Kurt Cobain later.

I guess my point is this: Are you doing NMM because you like it, or because it\'s harder to do and makes you appear to be a better painter? It\'s hoped that you\'d produce a \'masterpiece\' every so often so we all know you\'re still good, but if you\'re just doing technique for the sake of technique ... well, we saw where that went.

Thanks for welcoming me by the way guys. I\'ve been looking at minis for a looong time, but I\'m not sure I have the balls to post one of my own. Maybe one of the ones without NMM .... lol
    I like this point of view. I listen to Mr. Malmsteen \'back in the day\' and was always \'wowed\' by his technique.

I see exactly what you mean though, and this is a great analogy. I am not sure if I completly agree with the assessment, but it really does compare well.

Using your same analogy though, for every Yngwie there was also someone like Eddie Van Halen, whose technique is also flawless, yet he puts emotion and soul into it as well....

I don\'t think it people who hate NMM are \'idiots\', or hate it because \'they can\'t do it\'. Some people just don\'t like the technique. Plain and simple. I\'m trying it because it\'s another technique. If I want to put something on the internet ,and need it to look two dimensional, I use NMM. But with gaming miniatures, and real world contest I prefer metallics.

Alright, I wasn\'t gonna say anything, but you are tellign me that Yngwie didn\'t put emotion and soul into his music? BS!

I am a guitarist. In fact, I would consider myself a very out-of-practice neo-classical metal guitarist. I battled the mindset that speed=lack of feeling forever. I will argue this as opposed to the NMM debate even though they are IDENTICAL arguements.

It is subjective. Purely subjective. I can say country music sucks (cause it does) and the guitar is terrible... sloppy, lacking any skill whatsoever. That is subjective. Of course, it is not true, as most music is played by skillful artists. Does it lack or have more or less emotion or \"soul\" than Yngwie, Ry Cooder or Van Halen? Only to the listener.

There we have it. I have pulled something out of my hat.

Is NMM or metallics better or worse? Does it matter? Only to each individual viewer. An artist may or may not like the technique.

Remember too, there are two facets. It is a technique for painting, and there is a finished result. Two different things. An artist may LOVE the technique, but not enjoy the finished result. It is in essence, the same technique as other areas of painting with altered rules governing it\'s execution is all.

That was about 3.5 cents...

And Yngwie was the King. Considering he was plastered out of his mind for most of his live shows, I think he is friggin wicked. Maybe that\'s what Country needs, a neo-classical wanking country guitarist....

Yeah, but saying you hate something as innocent as a painting technique is plain silly and idiotic.

Too true...

I see both techniques as valuable tools. You can do with them what you like. If there was a university degree for mini-painters, you would HAVE to learn both! Maybe not use em, or even like em...

Originally posted by Gypsy
    Yeah, but saying you hate something as innocent as a painting technique is plain silly and idiotic.
    In less than 20 words, you managed to say what I was trying to say lol only it took me about 5 times that many and wasn\'t nearly as clear lol

t_haye2

[i]

And Yngwie was the King. Considering he was plastered out of his mind for most of his live shows, I think he is friggin wicked. Maybe that\'s what Country needs, a neo-classical wanking country guitarist....
    no, elvis was the King, malmsteen\'s just....a metal guitarist (satriani much better anyway :P) But for the rest i agree, it is subjective, and if you let your enjoyment of painting be ruined by some guy who has a certain opinion, that\'s your loss.

Yeah your right Tammy. I meant King of Neo-Classical Metal...

Yeah Joe. Good call :)

See, God created the Earth in 6 days, then rested on the 7th as he had to create Joe on the following monday....

It\'s not silly, or idiotic. Is someone idiotic or silly because they hate apples? Are they idiotic or silly to love apples? People just don\'t like it. It preference. That\'s it in a nutshell.

Hate can be such an easy word to say for some people. It\'s only got one syllable.lol

Yes I agree. That\'s why I used the word dislike when I asked Tammy about it.
    (who has not responded to such a microscopic, silly, near non-entity such as myself.)
    Such is the price of bug-hood. :rolleyes:

Cheers!
    -Angela (pissing off more slayer sword winners on an annual basis than Chrispy!)
    :innocent:

Default So,

Therefore, nobody really hates NMM?.

They just chose the wrong word to
    express their preference?