Little Knight (repaint)

Thread: Little Knight (repaint)

Default Little Knight (repaint)

Finally finish the little fella. Great fun to paint and a good mini to practice NMM on.

A MASSIVE thanks to all who commented on my WIP, to many to list.

Comments welcome - http://www.coolminiornot.com/306072

Name:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  601.4 KB

the old one from last year

Name:  img4dcff66c11027.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  45.1 KB
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Excellent, really like it! The NMM is really good. The old one was already good, but the new one just pop up more. The facial expression is really good too! Really like the shining effect on the sword.
    My only criticism is the not so good blended cloak! I have the impression that you have painted the NMM first by spending lots of energy on it then got a bit tired and finish quickly the cloak.

I really like this model. Your NMM is very nice, the light placement is well done, giving it that realistic look. The areas I think that could be improved upon in my personal opinion are; mind you I'm trying to be harsh here, as I know you like me are trying to push yourself.

* The shadows in some area could be taken further, there seems to be a lot of mid tone, some good highlights but not enough shadow for contrast.
    * Colour theory; with the blue based NMM, I don't think choosing blue for the cloak is optimal. Using a warmer, red brown - red colour would have been a better choice I think, complementary colours are your friend, bring out even more contrast.
    * The eyes look like they could be neatened up a little more but are good, especially the reflection points.
    * The blending, although nicely done in most parts is not consistent in it's smoothness. Contrast the sword hilt with some of the metal areas of the armor and you can see a visible difference in the blending - I do like the bit of green you added on the pommel, nicely done.
    * Also start to think of the different types of contrast, they range not only in light and dark, but from warm to cold, textures etc.

To push it further you could give the lower part of his armor a very light glaze of green to reflect the colours of the grass etc.

Over all I liked watching this miniature come along and progress - well done impo your best mini yet. Gets an 8.5 from me, if the contrast and colour theory were pushed further it'd be a 9.

Axel.
    " This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!! " - Supervike

My Website - http://www.miniature-studio.com/

Voted and commented
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

nmm is stunning, but I also prefer last years cloak I think
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Great work 10ball. The NMM works really well especially with your light spots. I know this was attempt 1 at sprockets NMM and you have done really well IMO. I agree a lot with skraals comments. A red cape would work soooo well and if you wanted to really flash it up, why not throw in some NMM gold freehand to push you into the 9's.

Base is fitting for this mini. You've inspired me to have a shot at the same NMM technique.

Grats buddy. 8.5 too from me. 9 with very little further effort. Enjoyed watching this one unravel!!!!

cheers
    will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Cheers all. Very indepth and useful comments.

boubie - thanks, I did the cape first but your right I was rushing a bit to get to the amour.

Skraaal - Very helpful , spot on about the midtone - way to much, I could of gone a lot darker on the shading. Good tip on the warm / cool contrasts.

Andy - cheers mucka!

Freak - thanks, NNM is a struggle but looks good with effort.

Will - Sprocket inspired me, I inspired you to have a go - it will spread all over CMON, then the world!!
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Your painting has improved so much over the last few months, great work

hey 10 sorry didnt even see this, mate it looks so much better than the old one awsome nmm its really starting to happen for you and your pics are getting better to

10 Ball you might want to consider changing your signiature =)