Signing and decals

Thread: Signing and decals

Default Signing and decals

Hey gang,

I think this has been brought up before, heck it might have even been me asking. lol! But I can't remember so let's get updated answers.

If you paint commissions or something you plan to sell on Ebay, do you sign your work? Even if you really don't intend to sell something, do you sign it just in case? If you don't but someone makes an offer you can't refuse, would you quickly sign the piece before it changes ownership or would you only sign if the buyer asked?

In the model horse hobby most folks got into the habit of signing the horses no matter what. Because of the expense, especially with the traditional size resins, trading models happens a lot so signatures tell folks down the road who sculpted and/or painted the piece. Typically the painter signs on the belly, using a Micron pen then seals it under a couple of layers of Dull Coat. Signature location depends on visibility, you don't want to be able to see it when the horse is at eye-level, so sometimes folks will sign on the inside of a leg or the bottom of a hoof.

For some reason, I always manage to forget to sign. lol! I'm still trying to get into the habit of it.

With minis, I try to put my initials on the corner of the base where they aren't obtrusive but honestly it still seems obtrusive no matter what I do.

I was thinking of creating a small decal with my logo as seen in my avatar. Then I could put it on the bottom of the base rather than on the lip.

But that brings me to the question of decals. I need to get more Testors Dull Coat and the cheapest place I've found it is at www.scalehobbyist.com. They just started carrying Vallejo products and shock of all shocks, their prices are even better than The War Store. (If anyone knows where to get it cheaper, I'm all ears!) Anyway, while shopping, I found the decal paper you can use in an ink jet printer, and the Micro Set solution and Micro Liquid Decal Film. If memory serves these were decent enough products and the Liquid Decal Film helps keep those ink jet colors from running or changing colors. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, the size of the decal is going to be small enough putting my entire logo will probably turn it into a blob, so I'm thinking of just using the horse head or the shield and horse head - no words. Or something like that.

So I'd treat the decal just like a normal decal and make sure it wouldn't come off easy and putting it under the base (or on the bottom of the mini if it doesn't have a base) where it can't be seen but if the mini happens to change hands a few times and the new owner has no idea who painted it, the little logo might give them a clue where to start looking.

What do y'all think?

Let me start by saying well done on the bronze

Right display bases no problem just stick your painted initials or what have you on the bottom, plenty of room underneath and unobtrusive.

Gaming pieces on a normal base if it is of a high enough standard to warrant it then just fill and smooth the underside of the slotta base with a bit of milliput or whatever and press youre initials or sig into it before it cures. Added benefit is the base is weighted and therefore the mini is more stable.

eBay for the dull coat, some one is always getting rid of stuff for next to nothing in my experience.

Decals and printable stuff well you kind of answered it yourself in my opinion, wouldn't bother to be honest a bit fidley and you could just as easily paint it and probably better than the printed version. Plus you practice your freehand eh?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Hi Andy,

Thank you so much! I was stunned when I found out I got a bronze.

I like the idea of putting my initials in the epoxy putty. And yeah, I need practice with the freehand but I didn't want to sit there and futz over a silly signature on every single mini. lol! Which is why I was thinking decals - do one and squeeze as many as possible on a sheet and that part is done for a long time. But I haven't tried to apply decals since....wow...since I was a little kid assembling scale models.

Budweiser 8 horse hitch I believe it was and those decals were a nightmare! Never did get 'em exactly right but I didn't know any of the little tricks either. lol!

But you have given me an idea of developing something I can do freehand but quick and easy. I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks Andy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    I like the idea of putting my initials in the epoxy putty.
    Pretty easy to make a press seal, The Warhorse Shield will be easily created by anyone who can etch brass.

And yeah, I need practice with the freehand but I didn't want to sit there and futz over a silly signature on every single mini. lol!
    I use a "Tribalesque" Dragon logo on items I do as both Personal Collection & Commissions.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Can't really help you on either issue...but extremely good website. They carry loads of stuff.

Still havnt found Testors Dullcoat in a european webstore that is wiling to ship it.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    The brass sounds fantastic but I think that will be down the road...a few hundred miles or two. lol! Knowing my luck it would cost an arm and a leg to have them made.

Your dragon was along the same lines I was thinking about with my horse. A little practice and I could probably draw it as easily as the Nike swoosh...or is it swish? I can never remember. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    Can't really help you on either issue...but extremely good website. They carry loads of stuff.

Still havnt found Testors Dullcoat in a european webstore that is wiling to ship it.

Heya Mar! So sorry hun, what about Tamiya Clear Flat spray? I've used that too and its really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    The brass sounds fantastic but I think that will be down the road...a few hundred miles or two. lol! Knowing my luck it would cost an arm and a leg to have them made.
    You could probably make a press seal yourself out of um... I dunno. Greenstuff? But yes, signing your work is a great idea, especially if you regularly sell pieces and are even halfway competent.

Blog Entries

Kathryn,

Have you checked Hobby Lobby or Michael's for the dullcote? Even if it's $4 a can it would be cheaper than mail order with shipping charges. As it is, if your in a bind and need some, I have 2 cans that are yours if you want them. I can post them, or if you are on the west side of Houston this weekend, swing on by and you can have them!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

I've got candy...lots of candy...come have some of my candy...*evil cackle*...this way...yes...come closer!

Quote Originally Posted by No Such Agency View Post
    You could probably make a press seal yourself out of um... I dunno. Greenstuff? But yes, signing your work is a great idea, especially if you regularly sell pieces and are even halfway competent.
    Or that stuff they sell on CMON that you can make molds out of? You know the stuff that sells out so quick it seems like its never in stock. lol!

And almost forgot, date it too - like KL2012. Afterall, we may not plan to win a Slayer Sword or a big competition years down the road - but never say never. Date stuff now. Trust me, in the model horse industry we'd see old artwork resurface now and then and it was really cool to see the advancement of the artist in question. Plus if the horse was by someone who is now a BNA the piece actually increased in value.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhowl View Post
    Kathryn,

Have you checked Hobby Lobby or Michael's for the dullcote? Even if it's $4 a can it would be cheaper than mail order with shipping charges. As it is, if your in a bind and need some, I have 2 cans that are yours if you want them. I can post them, or if you are on the west side of Houston this weekend, swing on by and you can have them!
    Awww thank you sweetie! I'm good for right now. I like to get orders together and save my shopping cart so when I do pull the trigger I've got enough to make up for the shipping fees. But that reminds me, I do need to stop by and see if Hobby Lobby will recognize my Texas Sales Tax Cert. That will also save me money because of the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietiManes View Post
    I've got candy...lots of candy...come have some of my candy...*evil cackle*...this way...yes...come closer!
    QM are you okay? Don't make me get the shotgun.

I was just teasing Bloodhowl, luring ladies to his pad with free Dullcote.

lol! I gotcha QM. No worries about Bloodhowl because he also knows about said shotgun - I'll just give it to his wife.

I have some minis that are signed and some that aren't.

Is the signing to prevent people from pretending it is their work or just because that's what artists do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuietiManes View Post
    I was just teasing Bloodhowl, luring ladies to his pad with free Dullcote.
    Shoot, if it gets a reapercon medalist to where they can look at my minis and critique the work in person, then I'll use any means necessary!

In fact, I think I have extra rolls of greenstuff to sweeten the deal!
    Last edited by Bloodhowl; 06-02-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Quote Originally Posted by squidders View Post
    I have some minis that are signed and some that aren't.

Is the signing to prevent people from pretending it is their work or just because that's what artists do?
    No - there's really no way to stop someone if they are determined to do that even with a sig - they can obliterate them quite easily no matter what you do. It's more along the lines of you can say for certain "I painted that" as in keeping an identifiable record of historical work. Yeah, most of us do that with photos now but sometimes pic files get lost no matter how hard you try to keep backups. Plus if a piece is sold several times the new owner may not know who painted it. I can't tell you how many times on the model horse forums someone popped up saying, I just bought this, does anyone know who painted it? There's a mark and date - and they post the photo. Every horse that had a sig or an artist's mark was identified when I was there. Even if the artist wasn't active in the hobby, someone was going to recognize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhowl View Post
    Shoot, if it gets a reapercon medalist to where they can look at my minis and critique the work in person, then I'll use any means necessary!

In fact, I think I have extra rolls of greenstuff to sweeten the deal!
    lol! Hey, no greenstuff necessary I told you BBQ works just fine...when y'all get settled in and things calm down. Then we can get the families together and make it a house-warming-mini-critiquing-painting-gaming party.

Lol...ill bring dessert to that party. I bake a mean cake
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1