ACK scary lead rott.

Thread: ACK scary lead rott.

Default ACK scary lead rott.

Ok, now that I have done alot of reading about lead rott I am honestly worried about it. I almost want to stop buying metal minis altogether now. So, what do you guys think?

Will modern minis, reapers, gw, rakham etc have the issue of lead rott in the future? I am genuinely worried about this, I don\'t know what to think. Can someone give some info? Is this even a concern with the more modern production materials of minis?

I dont think so Smoth, the amount of mini\'s you would need to actually eat is quite a lot (that\'s what I was told anyway)

BTW you\'re more likely to be run over by a bus! Statistically speaking (I think)

Default Bah! Don\'t worry about it.

I have thousands of unpainted lead figures. Many dating back 25 years or more. Lead rot is a rare occurence. I\'ve seen it only on three figures in my collection.

Just to be safe:
    Separate any figure that has rot from any others. Scrub and wash the thing if it\'s not too bad yet and prime it after. This should help seal the figure from too much further damage.

Don\'t store unpackaged figures in wooden boxes. With the exception of mahogany, most unfinished hardwoods are especially bad for releasing the acetic acid that triggers the rot. If you absolutely have to...try pine or another softwood.

Let your figs breathe once in awhile. Don\'t go with the false hope that sealing them away will stop rot. Acids build up in stagnant surroundings leading to the rot. having a box or case slightly open somewhere to let the air circulate and exchange itself will help immensely.

Eventually all things will break down. Lead figures are more likely to corrode than many of the modern non lead varieties.
    I believe that only Rackham still uses lead in their figures. Most other companies use a lead free tin alloy instead.
    I would not consider this a concern at all if you are sensible about it.
    If they are painted they should be okay for probably at least your own lifetime.

:innocent:

Default Sorry.....

...........wasn\'t actually being very helpful there, was I? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by mickc22

We all have our not so lucid moments.:P

Default Oh I don\'t know....

Originally posted by mickc22
    The image of Smoth snacking on his minis was reasonably entertaining;)

Sturmhalo

Originally posted by SaxonAngel
    I believe that only Rackham still uses lead in their figures. Most other companies use a lead free tin alloy instead.
    Reaper, Foundry, Crusader, and many smaller British companies still use tin/lead alloy!

Regarding lead rot, it does happen, just prime everything you own (that\'s made of tin/lead alloy that is. Pewter shouldn\'t matter).

:D

Heresy do too now, case of having to, it was either that or put up his prices
    .......a necessary \'evil\' I guess :rolleyes:

Don\'t store unpackaged figures in wooden boxes. With the exception of mahogany, most unfinished hardwoods are especially bad for releasing the acetic acid that triggers the rot. If you absolutely have to...try pine or another softwood.
    That would explain why those minis I put in a box started going funny. Problem is they are still there, on the other side of the world...

Default Lead rot

I have got some minis that have got the dreaded rot...only three and I think I have halted it. They were old GW beakies (Wombles).
    Given the sheer number of minis I have though...three is a miniscule percentage.

so priming them prevents lead rott?

Originally posted by Sturmhalo
    Originally posted by SaxonAngel
    Reaper, Foundry, Crusader, and many smaller British companies still use tin/lead alloy!

Regarding lead rot, it does happen, just prime everything you own (that\'s made of tin/lead alloy that is. Pewter shouldn\'t matter).

:D
    Actually I talked with the folks at Reaper recently. They say that there is no lead in their figures. I even argued about it with Ron and Ed and they said no...

Originally pewter was made from a composite of lead and tin. Tin comprised about 75% of the alloy. It wasn\'t until the later half of the 1980s did we get the common lead-free shiny pewter we have today.

So now I\'m completely lost...AGAIN!

Smoth: Priming them does not prevent lead rot. It helps by partially sealing the figure away from the acids in the atmosphere.

Under the worst conditions, even a fully painted figure will rot. (happened to me, hard lesson there)

Don\'t panic about it, dude.

oh, so my rakham are safe? cool

These old grenadier minis I now have a ton of (1980s mini). those are in danger though correct?

Default start eating...

Yes, severe danger, begin eating them as soon as possible....

I think if you follow the others advice, you should be relatively safe, even with the older ones.

I have many many minis and only had 1 with what may have been something odd.

I wonder if you stored them with those little silica packs (like they use for tools in tool boxes or guns in gun safes) if that would help....

Anyone know?

man, I am still freaked about this rott stuff. What about keeping zinc with them... like when you put it on a boat motor to corode instead of the motor?

I am still honestly freaked about the rott issue. Are the modern GW minis safe from it?

I have minis dating back into the late 70\'s. Some were kept in an non-climate controlled storage unit for months, sometimes years.

In cardboard boxes, in a jewelry box, and some in a small cedar chest for a while.

Not a single one has lead rot. Not a one.

*shrug*

Just be nice to your minis and you\'ll be okay. I wouldn\'t worry about it too much.