NMM with new Games Workshop paints - Gold
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NMM with new Games Workshop paints - Gold

Default NMM with new Games Workshop paints - Gold

Hi guys,

I am trying to paint Dante in NMM (Gold) using only the new paint range from Games Workshop.
    What would you guys recommend in terms of a step-by-step guide?

Thank you

As far as technique, I'd look at the tutorials here, or find a copy of the eavy metal masterclass book. As for colors, the recipes vary by artist and preference. Some people use browns that get more of a green yellow, while others use browns that net more of an orange yellow. The point is to have a nice dark brown, a medium brown, a color like bleached bone, and a little dab of pure white.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I think the OP was after the colours from the new range - the Masterclass book is going to use colours from the old range However the masterclass article is probably the easiest point to start with

True
    But the masterclass book has a great nmm gold step by step using (ugh) sanguinor. And I'm sure any GW store employee worth his salt will be able to tell you what the new snakebite leather is called.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Hey! What's wrong with Sanguinor? hehehe

I have yet to compare the new paints to get the right colors to match. Rather than Bleached Bone I use Bubonic Brown a lot (more yellow in it) - which I stocked up on before the new paints came out. ^_^ I see a few colors that look similar but have yet to try them. Maybe I'll pick up something this weekend and goof with it to find a new "formula". I still don't know why GW messed with something that wasn't broken - at least keep a few of the mainstay paints the same.
    My Rank -

I think, except for the fact that the new bottles contain about 5 drops of paint, they made a good move here. The new system is very friendly to new hobbyists, and the color range is very diverse. As for sanguinor, it's just the fact that everyone thinks it has to be nmm gold. I want to see an nmm steel sanguinor. Or a black one. Or anything but gold. Pfft.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Well you could always get one and break the trend I dunno - it's very gimmicky to me. A drybrush paint? Really?? The sand ones seem alright for the lazy, and then there are duplicates of the paints for layers or base or whatever. It just seems like a bit of a money making sham to me to cater to the gamers. Nobody was begging for new paints or complaining about the old ones (maybe the pots - but GW hasn't gotten those right yet lol). I have used some of these colors for over 15 years, and now they are gone forever ><
    My Rank -

LOL I could, if I could stand to paint that mini. It seems gimmicky to us, but I bet is really helpful for gamers that just want a quick system to get decent tabletop. Look at the thread in the Zombicide section about painting for non-painters. Base coat, and dip in floor wax! And it actually turns out decently for their uses!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Yeah Sanguinor wasn't that fun to paint - I bet it would be an extra pain in Finecast >< yeah no doubt those new paints are great for gamers and hobbyists - but to me, meh lol anyways I will need to adapt so figuring out some new nmm recipes with the new paints is going to happen eventually
    My Rank -

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Yeah Sanguinor wasn't that fun to paint - I bet it would be an extra pain in Finecast >< yeah no doubt those new paints are great for gamers and hobbyists - but to me, meh lol anyways I will need to adapt so figuring out some new nmm recipes with the new paints is going to happen eventually
    Or, and I am just throwing this out there, use VGC. Same or similar to the last run of paints. I have tried a few of the new ones, but no textures or dry for me, thanks! I am going to a red Sanguinor, just to go outside the box.

To the OP:
    There is a link somewhere showing NMM using the new colors, I will see if I can find it ans post it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    I think, except for the fact that the new bottles contain about 5 drops of paint...
    Any indication at all that they're not the full 12ml printed on the label? Like has been printed on the label since they went down from 18ml?

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    then there are duplicates of the paints for layers or base or whatever.
    Whut?!

I have used some of these colors for over 15 years, and now they are gone forever ><
    Welcome to the wacky world of GW paints. I still miss terracotta, and my pot of ghoul grey is used pretty sparingly.

I may have exaggerated a bit. I swear the pot is only half full new though. One session with the airbrush depleted an entire pot.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Hi all,

Id also be keen to see peoples 145 colours for their joys and woes of NMM as a new fan pf the technique! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    To the OP:
    There is a link somewhere showing NMM using the new colors, I will see if I can find it ans post it.
    Thanks MightyChad, that would be great!

Nobody was begging for new paints or complaining about the old ones
    Really? Reds and yellows were completely transparent, there was no consistency in the consistency, they'd separate, they smelt strange, they'd dry to completely different colours, coverage was terrible...

All those complaints have been doing the rounds since they went from the old paints (tentacle pink, ghoul grey, etc.) to the 'new' paints (as were).

I've only tried the yellows in the new, new range and they're pretty good.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevak The Tireless View Post
    Thanks MightyChad, that would be great!
    Well, I am working on it, but haven't any luck...

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    I may have exaggerated a bit. I swear the pot is only half full new though. One session with the airbrush depleted an entire pot.
    I'll have a look at the couple of pots I've got (still not round to using them yet though the other half has used a yellow). I guess you're using a bottom-fed airbrush rather than gravity? I always found that I used lots more paint before I switched to my gravity fed brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Verm1s
    Welcome to the wacky world of GW paints. I still miss terracotta, and my pot of ghoul grey is used pretty sparingly.
    Enough that you'd like a replacement? Should be easy enough to find a swap-in colour, or a simple mix that'll exactly match the old colour.

As for the Ghoul Grey, since you still have it to hand now is the time to figure out how to mix its eventual replacement while you still have the liquid paint to compare to

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Enough that you'd like a replacement? Should be easy enough to find a swap-in colour, or a simple mix that'll exactly match the old colour.
    I'm not entirely fond of VGC though. :P Are there any other alternatives?

Though I might've exaggerated a bit, myself. I miss the little speck of variety it adds to my paintier (I have a thing for muted, earthy colours), but haven't run into many situations that cry out for GW terracotta, where similar colours couldn't be used instead.

As for the Ghoul Grey, since you still have it to hand now is the time to figure out how to mix its eventual replacement while you still have the liquid paint to compare to

Einion
    I've found that stormvermin grey's a pretty good shade for ghoul grey, but there might be cheaper starting points out there!

Anyway. I digress.

Hi guys,

there is some tuto on this here