4 hour / 4 colour painting competition
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 hour / 4 colour painting competition

Default 4 hour / 4 colour painting competition

Hello all. Last month me and few others organised a small 4 hr painting comp. Great fun so were doing it again.

Date: over the weekend of 30th June to submit minis here on the Monday 2nd July.

Rules: 4 hours only (all on trust ) AND only 4 colours - this includes washes / glazes etc. eg Skull white / vallejo grey / devlan mud / tam clear red

any mini

mini can be assembled, based and undercoated but base must be painted within the 4 hours.

Post the entries on this thread with the voting links - the winner is the highest score. BUT ITS ABOUT THE FUN OF IT SO BEGINNERS PLEASE ENTER

Thats about it I think, any questions just pm me or ask on this thread.

Winner gets a new Ferrari 458 supplied by AndyG & Milosh LOL
    Last edited by 10 ball; 06-21-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

4 Colours? That does sound mighty interesting. People would be allowed to mix those colours right? And does the primer colour add in to the colour count? :P

Not participating though. I still don't have a camera (camera phone makes them look like blurry smudges). But I wish the best of luck to those who do!

I'll still do this challenge though, but not in 4hrs probably and I won't be able to show it.

I'm in dude can't wait
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Blog Entries

I'm in sir. It is any four colors of our choice, correct?

Garshnak; yes, mix the colors to any multitude of shades.

yep any 4 colours.

Garshna, good question about the undercoat being used as a 5th colour. i think the undercoat should be just a standard white, black or grey. Unless anybody else disagrees?

Just a separate note - last time there was some discussion about using air brushes, Ive got no problem with it. If anybody disagrees please say.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Blog Entries

airbrush is fine with me.

Ooh, I know what colours would be perfect to pick then!
    Only what mini to paint...

Perhaps I should try getting a camera...without any money. Don't think theft is going to be an option, since I'm kind of bad at acting inconspicuous. That's the only reason. :P

I'm totally up for this. I guess my undercoat will have to be a part of the 4 hours, as I use an airbrush to do zenithal underpainting before I get started. Would that be 'cheating' if I did it beforehand?

Follow Infamy Miniatures on facebook and twitter

Oooh I may be up for this. I happen to have a mini i was planning to paint soon using not many more colours. Would be a fun challenge to limit it to 4. Though can the undercoat show through if its just a black or white?(Say for deep shadows to work up from)

Also will it be a set time over that weekend as in we all start at the same time and end 4 hours later so as to prove we didnt take longer, as im working both the saturday and sunday so will only really have time free on the evenings(GMT)

Kris

Sounds like good fun, and anything that encourages painting gets a thumbsup.

Not sure if I'd be able to take part on the day, but if I were I know which four paints I'd want to use so that colour restrictions nearly go away

Einion

I'm in, can't paint it over the weekend though as I work weekends. I will do it in 4 hours though and post pictures on the Monday.
    " This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!! " - Supervike

My Website - http://www.miniature-studio.com/

It can be any time over that weekend, even in 1 hr instalments if needed

As for the undercoat questions as far as I'm concern the mini needs to be a blank canvas ie.
    White, black, grey. Then add the 4 colours.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    It can be any time over that weekend, even in 1 hr instalments if needed

As for the undercoat questions as far as I'm concern the mini needs to be a blank canvas ie.
    White, black, grey. Then add the 4 colours.
    Right but can the white/grey/black be used (bringing colors used in the mini to 5)? Eh, not that it matters I suppose. Just for fun anyway.

Not sure what I'm doing that weekend, so I'll have to see. Plus need to find a mini I can do in four colors. Yeah I could mix but might be more fun that way.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

I am in! It is a really good challenge for beginners or not!

Can any medium used, ones which cannot change the color of the original paint? for example Tamiya thinner, GW lahmian medium, etc...?

Yes thinners, varnish etc are ok
    "
    . Andyg

I like the idea!

I could really throw a monkey wrench into the works and ask if I can use dry pigments.

Seriously, fantastic idea 10! I'm in and will use acrylics so poor 10 doesn't tear his hair out.

Hi All,
    Here my entry, just finished it yesterday evening (China time). I will be on business trip for the next weeks so I cannot put it later. So I decided to make my entry this week end! Anyway it is only 4 hours painting! Actually I was surprised that I could respect the 4 hours base included. I really enjoyed painting with only 4 colors it pushes you to find some tricks to make color variations with few alternatives. I hope you will like it. Sorry for my early entry, but got no choice!
    I used the following colors Vallejo Ivory, Vallejo Dark sea blue (mistake on the picture), GW Bestial brown and GW Elysian green.

Here the votey link:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/307572

Here the pciture:

Enjoy!!

And so it begins......

Great work and a high standard to start the comp with !
    "
    . Andyg

Just a reminder that the comp is still set for next weekend (Sat 30th June) for the Monday 2nd July.

You can submit here anytime as boubi has above.

Any level of painting please - its all for fun !
    "
    . Andyg

i´m up for it! sort of surprised i am, but why not?:P