KruleBear's WIP WIP - Page 40
Page 40 of 58 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: KruleBear's WIP WIP

I Fermin love this thing what a castle.

With my speed. The painting of that would take a year...

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    I Fermin love this thing what a castle.
    Thanks BAM. I may be limited in brush time for detailed display painting, so it is nice to work on something that doesn't require the same focus and will leave me with something cool when I am done. Besides, i can do this with the KruleBear cub...if he bumps me playing with his minis it isn't a big deal to fix the boo boos.

BTW I finally registered for Adepticon. Decided to limit my classes to help retain my learning. A Texturing Leather class by Kiril Kanarv and Masterclass on Black Sailor Minature by Jose Manuel Palomares & Sergio Calvo. I am a little intimidated taking classes from these great artists.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherpainter View Post
    With my speed. The painting of that would take a year...
    To be fair I believe I started casting block around last October....and since I wasn't worried about making it straight I saved a lot of time and tooling! LOL Just kidding. By the time I add up the cost of the Hirst Molds, Dental Plaster, static generator, foam hot knife kit, exttra paint, etc... It will be a lot more expensive than your plinth adventure.
    Last edited by KruleBear; 02-12-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Cracking project. Seems a bit of a monumental effort, good work.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    BTW I finally registered for Adepticon. Decided to limit my classes to help retain my learning. A Texturing Leather class by Kiril Kanarv and Masterclass on Black Sailor Minature by Jose Manuel Palomares & Sergio Calvo. I am a little intimidated taking classes from these great artists.
    You won't regret it for sure! When I assisted that Korean's class last year, I finished it exhausted but it was worth it x10 times!!
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Blog Entries

This castle project looks awesome. Excellent gaming potential.

Thanks guys. It has developed into a fun project. Primed in black last weekend (shown below). Pulled the tower and stairs apart from the rest. Using them as my test pieces. Started with a "damp" brush of dark grey on them before work this morning and I like it. I will post that later this week.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  166.5 KB

Cheers, Mike.

First-My wife is awesome. They were selling model kits at my sons preschool and he had to have one. My wife bought it and when they came home he was excited to build it. It required the use of my sprue cutters, so I am counting it toward my modeling progress! Lol My son is a little young to understand how to make it work, but with a little help he loves loading it and shooting at his bad guys....and I have learned that his zomnies are not bad guys! They are apparently part of the Scooby gang

Views: 160
Size:  191.0 KB

On to the castle first picture is the base gray damp brush I did the morning.

The second picture shows a few random stones picked out in a lighter stone color. Two dry brush steps and hopefully it will match the Dwarven Forge prepaints in the right corner of the photo.

I think this may take awhile to complete!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I really like the variety of stone shapes and the thickness of the walls is very realistic. Looking forward to seeing the paintwork develop

*peeks around the corner and curses before running back to his lair to get some new updates*
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Nice to see what you're matching it to with the dwarves forge wall. The castle's looking very impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    *peeks around the corner and curses before running back to his lair to get some new updates*
    Buwaaahaaa haa....another update!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfsaga View Post
    I really like the variety of stone shapes and the thickness of the walls is very realistic. Looking forward to seeing the paintwork develop
    Yeah the Hirst Arts molds have been fun. The downside is once you see the seems between the larger blocks you can't unsee them. That being said, I am putting together an order for more molds....time to make a round castle! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Nice to see what you're matching it to with the dwarves forge wall. The castle's looking very impressive
    Well we shall see. I bought Dwarven Forges Pokorny Paints for these to help keep it close. One issue I ran into is that their video uses a different paint scheme (which I started out following) versus their written paint scheme.

So I could use some feed back. The stairs on the right followed the video colors after I had primed in black.
    -damp brush of Base Gray
    -pick out some select stones in Earth Stone (their write up changes this to Cardboard)
    -drybrush Olive Dry Brush....this seemed to make it really muddy looking.
    -drybrush Stone Edge....I was a little heavier on this than I would have liked.

The next piece is a pre painted sewer tile. The top half is what I am trying to match to I think. Although I may work some greens in later for moss buildup.

The next piece is a wall from their prepainted modular stone buildings.

Then back to my castle. On this piece I skipped the Olive Dry Brush step and just dery brushed Stone Edge.

Which scheme do you think works better for an old decaying castle?

Views: 127
Size:  248.3 KB

And some inspiration:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I think I like the stairs most, looks more weathered to me weras the pieces on the left side look newer

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    I think I like the stairs most, looks more weathered to me weras the pieces on the left side look newer
    The more I look at them the more I agree. i'll just go with a lighter touch on the final dry brush than I did on the stairs though.

While I was contemplating, I base coated the main castle with the gray. Waiting for it to dry now.

Views: 112
Size:  171.1 KB

BTW...I love global warming! 70 degrees in central Illinois in February. Knocked off a bunch of outdoor items today from the honey do list.

That's summer holiday weather over here! On the colour schemes, the middle seems the best to me if you take away the green. The highlights seem a little more subtle.

Maybe make the green a little more patchy, like the moss on the second inspiration picture.

I suppose this depends on where this is supposed to be located. For example: If this structure was erected in the desert,.. it's not likely to be made grey-granite-like rocks.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

I love that this thread is so different from all the others...fresh ideas,new materials,and great old fashioned hobbying.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    That's summer holiday weather over here! On the colour schemes, the middle seems the best to me if you take away the green. The highlights seem a little more subtle.

Maybe make the green a little more patchy, like the moss on the second inspiration picture.
    I agree. Not sure I will completely replicate it, but I think if I lighten up on the drybrushing that the colors used in the stairs should get me close. I also like the patchy moss and will probably do patches of it using the superglued packing foam trick. I don't want to make it as heavy as the photos as i am thinking being that thick could create gaming challenges. I actually found a ruined castle photo that looks almost like my model, but it is about 75% covered with ivy type vines which I don't want to put on a gaming terrain piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    I suppose this depends on where this is supposed to be located. For example: If this structure was erected in the desert,.. it's not likely to be made grey-granite-like rocks.
    That is a good point. This makes me a little jealous of the community that don't live in North America as they have ancient structures to visit. In my neigborhood of Illinois and Michigan all the ancient structures are just dirt mounds now. Although it might bee cool to use the Hirst arts molds to replicate some of the fort styles of the French and British utilized during the war of 1812. My only other personal experiences are with the great wall of China and some Mayan ruins.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    I love that this thread is so different from all the others...fresh ideas,new materials,and great old fashioned hobbying.
    lol. That is because I have more ideas than time. So far this has been fun as even those it has a lot of details I am not sweating the precision of the finish. Yet it is keeping my motor skills from rusting up when I decide to get back to more display level painting....and to make it even worse, I pulled out a GW kit from the pile of shame and started assembling it: The Garden of Morr. So there will be a cemetary coming to go with this castle!

I can't drive for more than 15-20 minutes out of town without seeing some old castle or stately home

Those castle ruins are amazing KB. I am super jealous of how much you got knocked out on them, because I feel the shame train just got derailed and landed on me hahaha. Seriously that looks like a ton of work you got hammered out which is awesome. Did you say what it was for earlier? Board game or table top war game?
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-