Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: KruleBear's WIP WIP

Sajan looks great KB! I love his sword and the ashy skin. It reminds me a lot of Kratos from God of War who has a very distinct and cool character design.

As far as zombie skin goes, I like Sajan's skin tone and the two zombies in the middle with green bases. I think those would be good bets for a "standard" zombie skin tone.

Thanks BAM and Kuribo. I am leaning toward Goldar (second from left) for the standard zombies even though the base coat is a custom mix and using the darker Sajan scheme for "seeker" zombies. They are zombies that hang out with regular zombies, but sometime get excited and take extra actions-the two schemes might be different enough to distinguish them. I will probably use the slightly greener tones for Toxic and Berserker Zombies and the darker green scheme for the orc zombies when I get that expansion.

Now within the standard zombies there are walkers and runners. I was thinking shading one with black and the other with brown. Do you guys think this would look ok on the boards or too distracting?

My favorite is the green zombie on the bottom right with the blue loin cloth. He has that look like, "OMG I am dead. My life is so over, what am I ever going to do?"
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    My favorite is the green zombie on the bottom right with the blue loin cloth. He has that look like, "OMG I am dead. My life is so over, what am I ever going to do?"
    Apparently you learned your zombie entomology the same place my kid did....Scooby Doo (or you just need to be different )

Name:  IMG_0964.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  22.5 KB

I actually like that one quite a bit too, but don't think he is the right fit for normal zombicide zombies.

I think they all have merit depending on how long the skin has had to degrade, and what colour the skin was before rot set in
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Yup I would reserve the greener tone (the one that Digga pointed out) for toxic zombies... the other tones are more than right for zombies!! although I would prefer the tone ont he two blonde lads on the center, and the first two miniatures on the left that John has also pointed.
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Yup I would reserve the greener tone (the one that Digga pointed out) for toxic zombies... the other tones are more than right for zombies!! although I would prefer the tone ont he two blonde lads on the center, and the first two miniatures on the left that John has also pointed.
    Thanks Maenas. I am actually working on a tone that I hope is somewhere between the two sets of groups you like. I am wanting the zombies in the core box to be fresher made zombies, but I also like the pale zombie look from the TV show iZombie.

Hajad is another sacrife to the toy box level painting (ie. ignore moldlines and any advanced techniques) in my quest to find the "right" zombie skin tone. He is another mediocre Bones mini sculpted by Julie Guthrie. This time I based with 50/50 MSP Vampiric skin and VMC Basic Skin Tone. Covered with a wash of Army Painters blacker colored Dark Tone Ink. This is getting closer to what I want and might be right on with a wash using a brown ink like Strong Tone. I am going to find another sacrificial mini to try a 50/50 mix of the vampiric skin with VMV Dark Fleshwith a brown wash. I think that will give me the grey undead color I want ith enough caucasian skin to look like a fresher conversion to the zombie lifestyle. then to paint the several hundred zombies for Zombicide.

Attachment 60308Name:  IMG_0975.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  158.0 KB

I like this model, so will need to look at getting him in metal at some time.

My son mentioned the other day that he wanted to play daddy's game (when I was testing out the solo play rules for Massive Darkness). so I bought the Hero Kids rpg and one of the scenarios requires pirates. so for now this one will be used as a ghost pirate in a Hero Kids adventure with my four year old.

Thoughts and comments greatly appreciated.

-Mike

p.s. I hate the damn "I am not a robot" interface. Does the stop sign include just the written part of the sign or also the sign post...what if only a sliver of the sign is in a box? Do you count that as well?

Last edited by KruleBear; 09-17-2017 at 06:20 PM.

the skin tone looks good, similar to what i have in mind for some zombie type things I have lined up

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    the skin tone looks good, similar to what i have in mind for some zombie type things I have lined up
    Thanks Coyotebreaks. I need to get a group shot of all the different skin schemes.

I also picked up some Army Painter Skeleton Bone primer as the sample color on the lid looks similar to my base coat color used on Hajad. So that called for some more experimentation. So I grabbed some Hirst Art planking and painted up a few different Zombie paint schemes. This also allowed me to compare the AP dark and strong tones as well as the difference between their inks and quickshade. I sprayed it down with Dullcote to knock the quickshade shine down to get a better comparison. So what do you guys think?

Name:  Vampiric Skin Trials 092017.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  376.7 KB

over all i prefer the bottom row, third from right and 2nd from left are my faves from those

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    over all i prefer the bottom row, third from right and 2nd from left are my faves from those
    Yeah, I am leaning toward the black shades as well which surprises me. With 2nd from the left and 1st from the right taking the lead as the would be simplest. (No paint mixing).

I prefer the inks for shading as they dry days quicker and are matte, but I agree with your assessment that the quick shades look better for washes. They seem a bit less splotchy when they dry and the over all tone is a little less aggressive. I m gld I di this little comparison as I lerned some usefull things.

I live this lil experiment !!! Now that's a thinkin man!!! tremendous display ingenuity!!!
    i too agree with you kruLe.but hey diff purposes for diff tasks! Well done bottom row wins!!!

Whoops, I thought I had already responded to you BAM. I appreciate the feed back. The experiment helped me quite a bit. Now I just need to start prepping the hundred zombicide minis I have for painting. I have managed to get a zombie wedding party prepped and primed from Hasslefree, so the zombie endeavor continues.

Anyways, until the next episode of zombie procrastination....I was reading Smokestack's wip on the Reaper Forums on his assembly of the HMS Hermione pirate ship from the Renaissance Miniatures Pirates Kickstarter. This inspired me to build mine and it seemed like a good filler project as I could do a lot of the work in the living room while watching/playing with my kid....but hobby ADD kicked in. On top of the laser cut wood ships was a giant pile of laser cut lumber from the Renaissance Miniatures Castles and Siege Engine Kickstarters...so I built another castle

The walls went pretty quick and then the KruleBear cub saw what I was doing and he requisitioned things as I built them and moved his LEGO minifigures into the castle. i finished 95% of it in the two day weekend. I really like the modularity of the system, but they leave a little too much connecting tab in the sprue. I went through 4 x-acto blades just cutting the pieces out. I also have three more sets of hoardings to build, but they are on hold as they are not as modular as the rest of the castle and really should be glued in place which I don't plan on doing. I will either buil a clip system for them, magnetize, or not use them at all. The one on the tower and wall in the picture are held in place with rubber bands.

So what do you think? Should be cool for gaming with, but not detailed enough to waste time painting up any nicer.

Name:  IMG_0995.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  178.3 KBName:  IMG_0996.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  178.3 KBName:  IMG_0997.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  136.5 KBName:  IMG_0998.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  167.6 KBName:  IMG_0999.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  188.1 KBName:  IMG_1001.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  139.0 KB

....now where do I store all this terrain I am making

Very cool, I like it , can't help with the storage problem I'm having a similar issue my whole dining room is over flowing with terrain

Whooooa mama now that’s a hobbyists dream house!!! Wonderful castle !!! This hobby drowns using far more than painting and playing games. Scenery is just as coveted by many and building grand castles in a miniature scale well- let’s just say your boy is gonna grow up with a big stamp of wonder from his amazingly wonderland childhood experiences. I know ide love it for sure. Your the worlds most amazing daddy!!!! God bless you and yours and your love and Commitment to our absolutely wonderous hibby!!!

LOL. Thanks Coyote and BAM. You guys are awesome. I am definately playing vicariously through my kid. The one advantage of having kids later in life is having more money for "joint" hobby toys to play with.

Store it? No no no, the question you should be asking g is how do you get away with building a large game room to use it, with raising suspicion from the misses.
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    Store it? No no no, the question you should be asking g is how do you get away with building a large game room to use it, with raising suspicion from the misses.
    I'm open for suggestions....do you have one of those boxes that are bigger on the inside than on the outside for me to hide it in? LOL

I do not have one of these magical boxes in which you speak of, but I know a doctor that might be able to point you in the right direction.
    ." -Me-