KruleBear's WIP WIP - Page 31
Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: KruleBear's WIP WIP

Lol. You're all nuts. thanks for checking in.

BAM, I was planning on stealing your notes, but would probably need a translator They will be fun classes.

I am on a four day vacation to let the bear cub play with grandpa in the great white north, so not much painting. Did spend an hour getting the first layer of water effects on the base. Super glued sone hairs off his teeth and outstretched hand and started my first attempt with UHU glue. It is much thinner than I expected and took awhile to get viscous enough to form clumps on the hairs. I am hoping to get home early enough tomorrow night for another application. Then I will be able to star playing with the Tamyia clear smoke and red for blood effects.

A quick wip to see how the water effects and UHU glue drips look before adding the blood coloring. For the drips I super glued hairs to the tips of the fingers and his lip and so far have two coats of UHU built up on it. Damn, can't even see the one on his lip in this figure. Put three coats of Secret Wepon water effects around the base with the first layer having brown ink mixed in....can't hardly make it out in the picts...oh well.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 212
Size:  108.4 KB

Great first attempt KB, I remember my first attempt going very badly !
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

I can understand that. i don't know how folks get the UHU to form strings on its own to say connect an upper tooth to a lower tooth. Maybe my UHU is a different type. I also am again impressed witht how much the Secret Weapon effects shrinks in volume when it dries. I am hoping that if I refill the rim each night that it will be full by Sunday(my next potential opportunity to get some paint time in).

I am thinking I should add some blood drips to the club head and main spike. Or would it be better composition to just leave it to the left hand?

Sometimes less is more, as for drool between teeth I had more success with epoxy resin waiting until it reached the stringy stage
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Same here on the glue - UHU was just too thin to make strands with. Perhaps they've adjusted the formula.

I found a cheap own-brand version of UHU from a supermarket that was much better - and presumably much more toxic.

The watereffects,as the rest of the figure, are really superb. Here in Belgium we have a glue named "velpon". It's very famous for it's thready appearance. Can't use it to glue anything without making a mess, but superb to form drips like on your troll.

Cheers,

Gino(2dope)

I'm with WGS in the "less is more" direction. I think that the drops you do have at the moment are very effective. Sing more to the club seems like too much - some decent blood stains should be good there.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

"Less is more". Got it. Unless...

Quote Originally Posted by bgcdazzler View Post
    ... was much better - and presumably much more toxic.
    Such is life, the good stuff seems to be toxic in some ways at excessive use.

Thanks for the glue suggestions. I bought a tube of E6000 that I believe Bloodfather recommended for this purpose that is more readily available in the USA. So if I were to break the less is more rule, i may use some on the club to compare to the UHU strands. WG, I'd be paranoid using epoxie as I would likely mess up the paint job if I did it wrong.

Thanks for the positive feedback Gino.

I had about ten minutes to add additional water effect to the base and to make ArchArad's day I opened up the Tamiya clear red I think it gives me a better feel for the existing drips.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 160
Size:  118.9 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 158
Size:  112.4 KB

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

That hand looks very cool with the red on.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Blood for the blood God! Bloody up that club, you know you want to

I had no luck even finding uhu around here so I found a cheap substitute which is quite thick, thicker than PVA even, and it goes stringy almost instantly (by time I've put the cap back on the bottle its ready to work) its what I used on my sprogrot drool, its called bostik all purpose, apparently it's an American company so you should be able to find some over there, its the one in a dark blue tube and only cost £1

Quote Originally Posted by ArchArad View Post
    That hand looks very cool with the red on.
    Sweet! I am glad to hear it is working.

Sicks: the club will be bloodied up...need to find my Tamiya smoke to get some darker stains built in. Also Bostik sounds familiar, so I will have to look when I am in the hardware store.

With the improvement of the blood drips with the red, I am thinking I should color up the drool as well. I have the following Tamiya clears: red, smoke, yellow, blue, green, and orange. Maybe mix up a purple blend or green may be appropriate. Thoughts?

That last addition clearly gave the miniature a nice punch!!
    On the UHU issue, I really think almost all kinds of Universal (for all kind of materials from cardboard to plastic and metals) transparent glue should work perfect.

For the drooling from his mouth, just think what makes him drool. If you put green drool it will seem something toxic/acid, if you make it red it will look like blood, maybe I would stick with transparent depending on the effect you wish to gave the monster... Just giving you my first thoughts, not sure if this will be helpful.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

The red touch on the hand is what that mini was missing, nice addition!

The red works well
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Or you can work in some brownisch:yellow inks in the drool, as if it's from that tabacco they used to shew on; like the cowboys in the western movies (sorry don't know the right English word for it). In Dutch it's called "pruimtabak"

Looking forward to see this one developping,

Gino(2dope)

Fantastical job on that hand bud.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

I am so proud of you.....now heres somebody ,an artist who gets the carnage!!!!

Just looked at it again....ill be the first to say what everybody is thinking......you know what I'm gonna say right!? DING DING DING DING,LEVEL UP....FIND THE NEAREST SAVE POINT AND SAVE GAME!!!!

Thanks for all the positive feed back everyone. The more I look at the hand the more I like it. Just trying to determine how much more to ad to the hand, the club, and wounds on old troll face himself. I actually had time to paint yesterday, but couldn't get motivated. Instead I watched a lot of Amazon Prime and Hulu while partially assembling and taking inventory of a bunch of robots (Reaper CAV) that came in from their kickstarter. I also assembled a bunch of outhouses for my Old West terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    For the drooling from his mouth, just think what makes him drool. If you put green drool it will seem something toxic/acid, if you make it red it will look like blood, maybe I would stick with transparent depending on the effect you wish to gave the monster... Just giving you my first thoughts, not sure if this will be helpful.
    Definately helpful. That was my thought as well. I could also see green being the color of his blood as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gino2dope View Post
    Or you can work in some brownisch:yellow inks in the drool, as if it's from that tabacco they used to shew on; like the cowboys in the western movies (sorry don't know the right English word for it). In Dutch it's called "pruimtabak"

Looking forward to see this one developping,

Gino(2dope)
    yeah, I think the yellowish brown is the direction I am headed. I also figure if it isn't right it will be the least distracting color.

In the US it is generally just referred to as chewing tobaco (or snuff if cut fine). You also hear it referred to by the brand chewed such as Copenhagen or Skoal. When I was a kid you would hear it referred to as plug tobacco as opposed to pipe tobacco. A nasty habit to be sure. My dad finally stopped chewing in his late 70's as he said it was two expensive. Of course when he hit his 80's he took up smoking cigarillos.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Just looked at it again....ill be the first to say what everybody is thinking......you know what I'm gonna say right!? DING DING DING DING,LEVEL UP....FIND THE NEAREST SAVE POINT AND SAVE GAME!!!!
    i hit save!...oh wait, the power went out while I was doing it! Lol i guess I need to start the game over..