KruleBear's WIP WIP - Page 56
Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1158

Thread: KruleBear's WIP WIP

Well, this is a crappy update, but I had a couple spare hours and decided to knock some stuff off my table. I decided to knock out some toybox level paint jobs for little bear using the "zen of Bones". I.e. Ignore mold lines, crappy sculps, and using very basic techniques.

Name:  IMG_1260.JPG
Views: 303
Size:  45.8 KBName:  IMG_1261.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  45.9 KB

I have another dozen or so of these types of Bones on the paint desk that I want to get knocked out soon. I am hoping to focus on painting some nice sculpts I have after Adepticon this spring!

Smells like you wanna do some batchpainting in order to get the bones done through?
    Indeed, as you said, those look very basic, but if they're just for play, that's feasible.
    So maybe you can use those guys to try something new?
    Taking a look at the pink shield triggers the thoughts... well the experiment started already ;-)

Painting is as painting does!!’ Paint on my great big man of fun love!!!!! father f the year yet againnnn

Thanks BAM, you are the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Smells like you wanna do some batchpainting in order to get the bones done through?
    Indeed, as you said, those look very basic, but if they're just for play, that's feasible.
    So maybe you can use those guys to try something new?
    Taking a look at the pink shield triggers the thoughts... well the experiment started already ;-)
    The Bones minis have variable quality. In general it seems anything human sized or smaller is terrible and where they took old metal mini molds and simply converted to the PVC Bones materials didn’t fair well either. To me they are so bad they are not even woth attempting to clean mold lines. But for the price and a quick paint job they look good for my 6 year olds playing of bad guys versus good guys.

On these, no flash removal and glue to a stable plastic base. Primed with automotive primer. Then I didn’t have my glasses on when I base coated them, so it is sloppy. Then some dry brushing of highlights, followed by a brushed on coat of Army painter dark tone dip shader. Last was to hit it with some Dullcote. I call this method the Zen of Bones.

I have a bunch of Bones CAV mechs that I have been practicing my airbrush skills on them. I also have a few very large Bones that I am SLOWLY prepping correctly and plan to paint to a nice table top standard....but I also have some awesome resin pieces I want to paint to display level.
    Last edited by KruleBear; 01-18-2019 at 08:30 AM.

So hopefully your kids are appreciating to have daddy's home-made monsters.
    What a nice idea! Good job.

Thanks Graishak. So far he does.

Here is is another one for the toy box. This was a clear purple Bones. I inked it with Tamiya clear purple to deepen the clear purple. White on the eyes topped with neon yellow for glow. Edge highlighted the hair and dress with some purple paints that were handy. Simple black base with some gray highlights.

Another Zen of Bones paint job
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Man those look like you painted them gloss black in this pic. Pretty cool effect for a quick paint on that demon material called bones!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Man those look like you painted them gloss black in this pic. Pretty cool effect for a quick paint on that demon material called bones!
    Yeah, my quick camera pictures suck. These Zen of Bones look pretty decent on the table at arms length which is good enough for my sons play time. I have found a couple sets of simple game rule sets I might try out on him to get him inti things. He really wants to play battlecars, so I probably should finish some Gaslands vehicles for us to play with.

BTW Reaper has modified their PVC formula for new sculpts and called it Bones Black. Supposed to be a bit harder to hold mold details better and make clean up easier. They had a sample owlbear go out recently and the feedback so far has been positive. So crossing my fingers for some decent gam8ng minis at a good price point.

Always good to see an update from you, Krule! I've never tackled any Bones minis but I always like to see what you create with them. Will you be attending Adepticon this year? I'm getting excited for it and can't believe a big convention like that is in "my backyard". It would be nice to see some CMON WIP members there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuribo View Post
    Always good to see an update from you, Krule! I've never tackled any Bones minis but I always like to see what you create with them. Will you be attending Adepticon this year? I'm getting excited for it and can't believe a big convention like that is in "my backyard". It would be nice to see some CMON WIP members there.
    Thanks Kuribo. Bones are definately not geared for display or even decent quality tabletop armies. I think they are geared toward rpg players who just need to throw some cheap mooks at their players for one or two scenarios. For a couple bucks you can throw a mediocre paint job on them and they are more immersive than saying, “that chess piece is a skeleton and that juice box is a hill giant lol.

I have a room at Adepticon for Friday and Saturday night and two classes scheduled. Painted ladies with Rhonda Bender and Painting Faces/skin with David Powell (our own Bailey!). The rest of the time will be drooling over Crystal Brush entries and spending time with the family as my brother in law lives east of O’Hare.

Updates woohhoooo. Lol, how you been bud?
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    Updates woohhoooo. Lol, how you been bud?
    Good to here from you Digga. I have been uncharacteristically giddy....I am a little worried that I may have snapped and am actually in a straight jacket imagining all of this “reality”! LOL

Nope, I can assure you that your not imagining things, however, should you see an update from me....then I would seek help immediately.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

*coughing*
    Making some noise here... uncle Mike has left the building... he went to get some cigarettes.
    Still not back? ;-)

Not this year but I’ll be wishing you mike a very happy good time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Not this year but I’ll be wishing you mike a very happy good time!!!
    Thanks BAM. Hobby time has been slow recently, so I am really looking forward to a few days at Adepticon to get some hobby mojo going.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    *coughing*
    Making some noise here... uncle Mike has left the building... he went to get some cigarettes.
    Still not back? ;-)
    ummm, eerr, ahhh, nothing to see here.... . Been busy with the alternate life (i.e. work, family, etc...). I haven’t even been keeping up to speed on reading other peoples wip’s. I am tied up with work this weekend again, then should start having a few weeks of hobby weekends before summer yard work eats up my free time.

In the mean time, I have been keeping the 3D printer working to have some neat terrain in the que for quick paint jobs.

I find that a carefully cultivated incompetence frees you up from a lot of chores.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    I find that a carefully cultivated incompetence frees you up from a lot of chores.
    LOL! That is so true SaintToad and my growing senility allowed me to get out of management and into an individual contributor role the past couple years ....that came to a screaching halt a month ago when an imprtant project I am working on was heading into the toilet, so they put me in charge of everyone to get it fixed....I guess I did a crappy job of cultivating my incompetence.

I am going to work on checking out other folks wips now.

Best thing about the Bones is that your 6yr old isn’t going to care about the quality of the paint job. All he is going to care about is the fact Dad took time to paint them for his games. And that will elevate both you and the Bones to legendary status in his eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Best thing about the Bones is that your 6yr old isn’t going to care about the quality of the paint job. All he is going to care about is the fact Dad took time to paint them for his games. And that will elevate both you and the Bones to legendary status in his eyes.
    Thanks for the awesome comment Bullfrog. So far he loves them. They are his “bad guys”. Maybe next week I will get a dhance to post picts of the massive wizards tower complex I have been print8ng for his bad guys.