Games Day and Golden Demon 2012 Chicago July, 28th! - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 202

Thread: Games Day and Golden Demon 2012 Chicago July, 28th!

  1. #61

    Default

    The Golden Demons are downstairs this year. Heard it from the person running it, so that should be definitive...

  2. #62

    Default

    Okay, newb questions time. Sorry guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    I remember when the demons were downstairs.. I thought it sucked ass having to hear all the yelling all day long, plus the lightning was pretty bad. Not that it matters because the plastic panels are so scuffed and shitty that you can't see the miniatures anyways until they make it in the case.
    Anyhoo, with no Demon Lounge I'll be available for some speed painting for sure!! Now time for the only form of acceptable yelling - AHHNULD yyYYyYYYEEEEAGGGGHHHH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wappellious View Post
    The Golden Demons are downstairs this year. Heard it from the person running it, so that should be definitive...
    While I understand some things change year to year, how exactly does Demon work? I saw on the GW website they have an Entry Form that's "coming soon". And tags will be available (although I have a ton of hang tags that I have to use on my model horses at competitions, I thought about bringing those just in case). I also saw that the competitor has to be present to move the miniatures or something like that...times and announcements for stuff like that will be broadcast over the PA but I imagine with all the yelling we won't be able to hear a damn thing. I wonder if we could talk them in to blasting a text message. heh! It would probably be easier for everyone involved.

    Is Demon in one of the rooms or in a main hall?

    Do you check in your entry and put it on a table?

    Do they announce when they are judging for final round?

    When the judges decide the final cut, those who make it get put in the cases?

    If I could figure out a way to put a light source in the base, I'd do it! Do the judges carry flashlights maybe? lol!

    Thanks in advance guys!

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wappellious View Post
    The Golden Demons are downstairs this year. Heard it from the person running it, so that should be definitive...
    quoting Darth Vader, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
    Gosh what a bunch of hooey, no peace and quiet this year I guess. No lounge, and WAAAAAGGH every 5 minutes.........
    My Rank -

  4. #64

    Default

    We had seriously considered getting those special ear plugs...

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    Okay, newb questions time. Sorry guys.





    While I understand some things change year to year, how exactly does Demon work? I saw on the GW website they have an Entry Form that's "coming soon". And tags will be available (although I have a ton of hang tags that I have to use on my model horses at competitions, I thought about bringing those just in case). I also saw that the competitor has to be present to move the miniatures or something like that...times and announcements for stuff like that will be broadcast over the PA but I imagine with all the yelling we won't be able to hear a damn thing. I wonder if we could talk them in to blasting a text message. heh! It would probably be easier for everyone involved.

    Is Demon in one of the rooms or in a main hall?

    Do you check in your entry and put it on a table?

    Do they announce when they are judging for final round?

    When the judges decide the final cut, those who make it get put in the cases?

    If I could figure out a way to put a light source in the base, I'd do it! Do the judges carry flashlights maybe? lol!

    Thanks in advance guys!
    I can't speak to how it'll be done this year, but here's how it's been done in the past:

    1) As Jim said, the GDs look to be in the main hall again this year. Bring on the noise.
    2) For the first few hours of GD up until judging starts there is a check in table where you will bring your miniatures to sign them in. It's like a two part ticket thingie where you fill out your model information, they put one half under the miniature and you keep the other half to claim it come pickup time. Last year they were stickers to prevent mix ups
    3-4) Judging for the first round generally takes place around noon-1ish. The miniatures that make first cut are moved from the big displays into the finalist cases and are judged a second time to determine the top 3. Depending on the number of entries and the time taken by the judges. I imagine Tim is still running the show and he tries to keep it on schedule.
    5) This has been up for debate but technically the base is not supposed to be taken into consideration when a miniature is judged. That being said, if you don't base your mini I'm sure it'll detract but if you have to choose between taking the extra time to finalize your mini and mounting an LED in the base, I'd say finalize the mini.

    Good luck! I've seen your minis on the site here and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person!

    @Jim: I agree. I think we need to get those big NFL headsets with comm beads so we can still talk while the apocalypse unfolds around us.

  6. #66
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Ugh. Well, maybe we can retreat to another, quieter area to hang out. And I will be looking into some ear plugs, so if you need me you will have to hit me....

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    I can't speak to how it'll be done this year, but here's how it's been done in the past:

    1) As Jim said, the GDs look to be in the main hall again this year. Bring on the noise.
    2) For the first few hours of GD up until judging starts there is a check in table where you will bring your miniatures to sign them in. It's like a two part ticket thingie where you fill out your model information, they put one half under the miniature and you keep the other half to claim it come pickup time. Last year they were stickers to prevent mix ups
    3-4) Judging for the first round generally takes place around noon-1ish. The miniatures that make first cut are moved from the big displays into the finalist cases and are judged a second time to determine the top 3. Depending on the number of entries and the time taken by the judges. I imagine Tim is still running the show and he tries to keep it on schedule.
    5) This has been up for debate but technically the base is not supposed to be taken into consideration when a miniature is judged. That being said, if you don't base your mini I'm sure it'll detract but if you have to choose between taking the extra time to finalize your mini and mounting an LED in the base, I'd say finalize the mini.
    Heya Dresch! Thank you so much for answering my questions! I really appreciate it. But that gives me a general idea of how it works - if I have a clue, it's easier for me to roll with the punches if they do change something last minute.

    And yeah, the LED/self sufficient lighting is just wishful thinking. Although there is always next year.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    Good luck! I've seen your minis on the site here and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person!
    Thank you so much! You just made my day! I'm definitely looking forward to meeting everyone as well. (I got a pic of me and Jen Haley in my profile so y'all know who you're looking for. Otherwise if you see a tall chick with long auburn hair wandering with this bewildered, wide-eyed look - that's me.

    Oh, also watch for the basket of ear plugs I'm bringing with me. I used to work for a company that has the comfortable ones on a plastic tether so you can hang them around your neck. I'll should be able to get a bunch for next to nothing and I'll bring 'em with me.

    Thank you again!

  8. #68

    Default

    Do you check in your entry and put it on a table?

    one more thing. if you get there early they always accept mini entries before the event starts. Just find the open door and they let you take your entry in enter it then go out to the entry area and wait for the event to start.

  9. #69
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    A lot of the guys know me Kath, and I am hard to miss, you are more than welcome to hang out with me. And Tryst will be there as well, so you will have him for a guide.

    And Cocanour is correct, just go in before the gates open, I always do, and the staff have always been cool about it. But I am not sure if you actually put the mini in the cabinet or not, seems like an odd thing, and the wrond person could really wreak some havoc with that opportunity.

  10. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    Thank you so much! You just made my day! I'm definitely looking forward to meeting everyone as well. (I got a pic of me and Jen Haley in my profile so y'all know who you're looking for. Otherwise if you see a tall chick with long auburn hair wandering with this bewildered, wide-eyed look - that's me.
    Sounds good! If you can stand having the earplugs out for a few minutes, follow the stream of bad Arnold Schwartzenegger lines and you'll most likely find at least Elly and me.

  11. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    Sounds good! If you can stand having the earplugs out for a few minutes, follow the stream of bad Arnold Schwartzenegger lines and you'll most likely find at least Elly and me.
    Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women YYEyyYYYEEAAGGGH!!!! Don't forget - Vern is making an appearance this year as well... MORE AHHNULD!!! YEARG!
    My Rank -

  12. #72
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women YYEyyYYYEEAAGGGH!!!! Don't forget - Vern is making an appearance this year as well... MORE AHHNULD!!! YEARG!
    I failed to practice my Ahnuld voice... I can do Zapp Branigan, does that count?

  13. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    I failed to practice my Ahnuld voice... I can do Zapp Branigan, does that count?
    Scrooooooooooooooooo yoooooooooooooooooo Bennnnnnnnnny!!!! You must learn it now, or be terminated. You have two weeks or I hope you have room for my fist, because I am going to ram it into your stomach, and BREAK YOUR GODDAMN SPINE!! YEARG!!!!!
    My Rank -

  14. #74
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Scrooooooooooooooooo yoooooooooooooooooo Bennnnnnnnnny!!!! You must learn it now, or be terminated. You have two weeks or I hope you have room for my fist, because I am going to ram it into your stomach, and BREAK YOUR GODDAMN SPINE!! YEARG!!!!!
    I love you guys, but I will tie you and tryst together and use you as weapons, just to shut up the scream of WAUGH.

    YYYYEAAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!

    I will work on it.

    PS: That is a great quote!
    Last edited by MightyChad; 07-13-2012 at 09:12 PM.

  15. #75
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,306
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    14 days and counting so I wish good luck to you all!
    Don't forget to take lots of photos of the model entries and each other.

    But one thing still bugs me; 21st century, Electronic Age and still no online pre-registration of entries to speed up the process.
    Last GD I went to (UK) over 4,000 entries to be manually completed. Efficient, not in the slightest bit.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

  16. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    I love you guys, but I will tie you and tryst together and use you as weapons, just to shut up the scream of WAUGH.

    YYYYEAAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!

    I will work on it.

    PS: That is a great quote!
    Hrmmm...I used to be able to do the Xena yell - haven't done it in a long time. I used it to silence screaming kids at SCA events - but unfortunately I scared the shit out of 'em instead and the parents asked me to stop. lol!

  17. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Scrooooooooooooooooo yoooooooooooooooooo Bennnnnnnnnny!!!! You must learn it now, or be terminated. You have two weeks or I hope you have room for my fist, because I am going to ram it into your stomach, and BREAK YOUR GODDAMN SPINE!! YEARG!!!!!
    Would this work?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGOQ7SsJrw
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

  18. #78

    Default

    I've campaigned to make this a youtube viewing staple since it's release. The predator musical is also good.

    Jeff, I totally forgot Vern will be in town as well. Where is HoboClown anyways? We need to get him up posting again.

  19. #79
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mud duck View Post
    That is amazing. Well done.

  20. #80

    Default

    So back to the pizza thing. Who all wants to join and when do we want to meet up? I can reserve us a table over at the Giordano's. I just need to figure close to how many people we'll have.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->