Games Day and Golden Demon 2012 Chicago July, 28th! - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Games Day and Golden Demon 2012 Chicago July, 28th!

Oh god. I had forgotten about the WAAAAGGGGHHH. And they took the demon lounge away? We're going to have to listen to that? Ugh.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Oh god. I had forgotten about the WAAAAGGGGHHH. And they took the demon lounge away? We're going to have to listen to that? Ugh.
    They may still do the Demons upstairs, lets hope. God, I hate the WAAAAGGGHHHing, it haunted my dreams and I was only in the main hall for like 75minutes total for the whole day, most of that was at Speed Demon, making jokes about other people. The Demon was the place to go for peace and quite, so I really had a lot less of a headache at the end of the day, compared to Baltimore and Atlanta. So I hope they do it upstairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Wappellious View Post
    One of my buddies who competes with me very closely for Best Painted and past AoP's simply left the store in disgust, and did not even set up his army. There was only 1 other army at my store, which used to be the biggest in North America. Part of that had to do with the 'diaspora' of painters who try not to get in each other's way, but it was very sad.
    Honestly? They whole idea of qualifier for AoP is beyond belief stupid. People, who had these "qualifiers" and had more than 3 army in the store on display, please, raise you hands. I bet there will be no more than, may be 3 places like this in the whole USA. Now, If I want to bring my army but don't have a GW store in a 500 miles radius from my location what do I do now?

There is an on site qualifier for AoP. You show up with an army, and your are judged against the other on site qualifiers. I am pretty sure that the on site qualifier finished second last year. It was a one-two Lizardman punch :-)

This year, despite all the advertising of AoP in White Dwarf, etc., the store by store activities regarding the contest were almost non-existent. The new edition of 40k completely overwhelmed it, whereas last year it was the only thing going on that weekend. We had 4 armies at the store last year, only 2 this time around.

I remember a few years ago when there was no qualifier, and the entries got a little ragged at times.

It would be nice if the voting was influenced more by an Adepticon style scoring sheet "checklist" for judging army painting. Those work very well for winnowing 250+ armies down to a top ten very quickly. Once you have a top ten, you really get down to the nitty gritty, until the final 2 or 3 armies where it comes down to every individual miniature.

That is never going to happen, obviously.

We also have hated the sensless shouting, but having the Demons upstairs was a pure nightmare for me. If you are doing AoP, you have to essentially be in both places at the same time, and they are a very very long way from each other.

Last year, I missed the awards ceremony upstairs. First, we didn't even know they were announcing them up there, and second, I was stuck in the AoP area all during that time. I didn't even realize I had won any Demons until some people we knew wondered where we were and started looking for us after the ceremony. It was all very strange...

Quote Originally Posted by Wappellious View Post
    We also have hated the sensless shouting, but having the Demons upstairs was a pure nightmare for me. If you are doing AoP, you have to essentially be in both places at the same time, and they are a very very long way from each other.

Last year, I missed the awards ceremony upstairs. First, we didn't even know they were announcing them up there, and second, I was stuck in the AoP area all during that time. I didn't even realize I had won any Demons until some people we knew wondered where we were and started looking for us after the ceremony. It was all very strange...
    I understand completely, and had totally forgotten about that aspect of the set up. I suppose it would be impossible to please all, but I guess since the Lounge is gone, they will just do it down in the main hall. We will see in a couple of weeks.

Now, who else is stoked for it?

I find the simplest solution is always the best. In this case: Card tables, fancy miniatures, and awesome painters spewing invective.

I also think we need to bull rush one of the speed demon sessions. That was absolutely hilarious last year

I'm in for the speed demon rush, sounds like fun

I'm in, but let's do an earlier one. I wonder if the other people at that table heard what we were saying? If not, I say we speak louder.

I just loved the looks on the judges faces when 10+ painters sat down for the event with wet palettes and their own brushes and prepped paint mixes for 5 mins before the event bantering about colored shadows, animal fur effects, and other fun stuff. Most intense and humorous 40 minutes. ever.

Those were the only 10 painters all day! That was pretty great. And you know the other people just thought, well, there goes my chances! Ha! Yeah, definitely doing that again this year. Cannot wait to see what you do to top last year, Drew.

I remember when the demons were downstairs.. I thought it sucked ass having to hear all the yelling all day long, plus the lightning was pretty bad. Not that it matters because the plastic panels are so scuffed and shitty that you can't see the miniatures anyways until they make it in the case.
    Anyhoo, with no Demon Lounge I'll be available for some speed painting for sure!! Now time for the only form of acceptable yelling - AHHNULD yyYYyYYYEEEEAGGGGHHHH!!!!
    My Rank -

The speed painting was funny. Especially when the pimpin sam won.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    I just loved the looks on the judges faces when 10+ painters sat down for the event with wet palettes and their own brushes and prepped paint mixes for 5 mins before the event bantering about colored shadows, animal fur effects, and other fun stuff. Most intense and humorous 40 minutes. ever.
    I take full credit for starting the speed demon bull rush in 2010 lmao.
    First I convinced Jeffery and then it soon turned into the most bad ass round of speed demon known to man.
    If I go this year I am 100% down to push for the bull rush!
    "If you've got what it takes...
    Its gonna take everything you've got."

If people are staying close by the convention center we should grab dinner the night before like we did last year just to shoot the breeze. Jeff mentioned it to me last night between sputtering out Arnie 1-liners. Last I checked, the Giordano's pizza over by the convention center was still there. Anyone down for pizza on Friday?

@Trystan: It was a pimpin Frodo, but you're right he was tops!

@Chad: looking forward to seein' ya man! This year I'm breaking out of the 40k entry rut I've been in the past few years. We'll see how many I can finish
    Last edited by TheDrescher; 07-11-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Man, I am up for the meet up, I have been trying to get as many folks as I can interested in meeting up the night before. I am sure khavor will be painting his entry, but I am sure he would take a break and grab some food, and suffer the snarky comments!

Cannot wait to see how you conquer some LoTR, Dresch, as I do not want to think that you plan on beating me in my attempt to conquer WHFB! Not that it will be happening for me!

You probably don't have much to worry about there. I'm trying something for WFB single, but since my son was born my painting time has been receding about as fast as my hairline.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    You probably don't have much to worry about there. I'm trying something for WFB single, but since my son was born my painting time has been receding about as fast as my hairline.
    I didn't realize you had a son, congrats. Sorry about the hairling, I am sure the addition of the son has had the same effect on the painting and the hair! It's all good, I am just wanting to do better than last year. And since I have avoided sprays, so far so good.

Well, if my check that was supposed to hit the bank today gets straightened out, I should be buying my ticket up there any day now. I'll be arriving Friday afternoon and would love to meet everyone for dinner if at all possible.

I agree the pimping sam was too cool.