Games Day and Golden Demon 2012 Chicago July, 28th! - Page 8
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Games Day and Golden Demon 2012 Chicago July, 28th!

Congratulations everyone!

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    Wow. That does look like Olmos. You were right.
    It was like a stunt double - he even had the scarred cheeks. Baby Doll from Sucker Punch was running around too..
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    Damn, i waited through that long line and didn't see the slayer figure either! i like the simplicity of this model...sometimes less is more.

Btw the four pictures i took were so lousy that i deleted them as it looked like i had token photos of my foot and i definately didn't want to be one of the fine individuals holding up the line!

Congrats to all cmon winners

I stayed up all night painting so I just didn't feel like taking too many pictures. I will share what I have. Sorry I don't have more. I started taking pictures and just didn't have the energy to take any more.

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...hicago%202012/
    Last edited by Cocanour; 07-30-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: trying to get the link to work

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Most of the folks that I knew were there were travelling Sunday, and probably work today. So I'd guess you should start seeing pics today or tomorrow. I was indeed there. Wappell won three demons, Drew Drescher won three demons, chris borer won a demon, chad won a demon, even Elly, who didn't bring a single entry, won his round of speed demon haha. I'm sure there were more folks here that placed - I know khavor won a demon too.
    Yup… you called it. Celebrated Saturday night, traveled Sunday, Worked Monday, and just put the kids to bed so I have a minute. Games Day was a blast!! One of the best. So many great friends to spend time with and discuss minis.
    I hope to have some good pics soon of my wood elf but here are some pics from the event.
    Name:  DSC02157.JPG
Views: 638
Size:  160.0 KB

Kirill, Trevor & Chris with Black Library author Aaron Dembski-Bowden!!!

Name:  DSC02206.JPG
Views: 644
Size:  367.0 KB
    Can you Believe that Joe T. of Eavy Metal actually painted these tiny White Dwarf Pages. It was insane!!!

Dinner after Games Day
    Name:  DSC02229.JPG
Views: 625
Size:  158.1 KB Trevor, Kirill, Chris
    Name:  DSC02230.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  134.8 KBDave, Dave, Damon
    Name:  DSC02231.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  192.1 KBJeff, Rich, Brice
    Name:  DSC02232.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  81.2 KBThis guy was following us around..... he has some issues!
    Name:  DSC02233.JPG
Views: 626
Size:  171.8 KBChris, Caleb & his son
    Name:  DSC02237.JPG
Views: 625
Size:  127.7 KBThanks Alex for the small piece of cake.
    Name:  DSC02241.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  211.0 KBAnd if the day was not amazing enough there was a new Ferarri 458 parked outside!

Awesome cool stuff man!

Grats!

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Nono, not talking about GW putting the Pictures up but about all the Guys with the Cameras... ...
    "I think we will see a lot of such diorams in the future because Pandora box is oped, interest is huge and forum butthurt is just great." --- Decoy

Simply Wonderful......

---
    Visit us at http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/ ...

Sorry I missed all the fun this year. Hopefully I can get back out that way for the next one.

I still have to get some good pics of my elf but here are some greens. Also wanted to Thank Jeff Wilson, Kirill Zhilkov & Chris Borer for all thier help along the way.
    Name:  DSC01878.JPG
Views: 857
Size:  249.7 KBName:  DSC01889.JPG
Views: 845
Size:  54.7 KB
    These are the mushrooms I added to the base. I even sculpted a Venus Flytrap but ended up not using it.
    Name:  DSC01874.JPG
Views: 838
Size:  99.8 KBName:  DSC01894.JPG
Views: 860
Size:  123.8 KB
    All the hair was redone from the topnot down.
    Name:  DSC01895.JPG
Views: 838
Size:  78.4 KB
    The chest and both arms are redone. I then sculpted the bakini top and necklace.
    Name:  DSC02038.JPG
Views: 823
Size:  102.1 KB
    You can't really tell from the pic but I sculpted several runes into the wood grain.
    Name:  DSC01880.JPG
Views: 835
Size:  88.8 KB
    The Sprite was the most difficult thing I have ever sculpted/Painted. This mini has a full armature made from a single strand of CAT-5 cable. It was so small and fragile that just applying the green stuff would distort the armature.
    Name:  DSC02114.JPG
Views: 850
Size:  128.8 KB

Awesome Todd. Pics like that help really show how much extra work you put in. Once the nice paint is down, you can lose sight of what was GW and what was yours.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

thanks Todd the pictures are great!

Nice pics Todd! Thanks for sharing your wip pics - really cool stuff. And btw I dunno who that guy is making that face but man he was one weird dude...

And yeah, those tiny white dwarf pages are pretty insane - I dunno how I missed that mini!
    My Rank -

that weird guy was painting in the speed demon too, He won his catigory but could not even beat a gobo mini Well at least he won something LOL

Just looking at that mini versus the stock Lelith, I didn't think about how much went into the conversion until I saw the WIP shots. You did a hell of a job Todd!

seeing that sculpting job really turned the whole thing up one level, super work!
    congrats!

I'm alive and made it home yesterday afternoon. Crashed and burned big time. My God what a nightmare!!!! Thank God for my friends - they really came to my rescue. But I started to understand how Odysseus felt.

It started before I left, I discovered some things at home that were not good. But that's personal crap and I won't go into detail. My flight was to leave out of Lake Charles, LA because it was cheaper and easier to get to than Houston. But when I got there, they cancelled the flight due to mechanical problems. There are only two flights out of Lake Charles to DFW because it's such a small airport, so I had to go back at 1. I went home and got more work done but didn't quite finish. There wasn't much left to do so I didn't think it would be that bad. But because of the delay, my flight from DWF to Chicago was going to be really late, unless I could get on Standby.

When I got to DFW, I thought I got lucky because I got standby on the first flight to Chicago. Whoo hoo! I thought. I'm going to be there early. Well, I was there but my luggage wasn't. Most of my miniature stuff, I carried with me in my backpack but I couldn't carry all of it. So half the bird was with me, half in my luggage. By the time I got to the hotel - it was midnight. And Khavor was right, I was falling asleep trying to finish it. In the morning, I tried again to get it done, but I had to swap out the wings. The wings didn't get packed - in fact, I looked on the table when I got home, I don't know where they are. I had everything together and they're not here. Anyway, I happened to have some Balrog wings with me so I was trying to swap out fast. I couldn't get them done. I walked in to the convention hall right when they announced the entries for Demon were closed.

I know now that Chad had been talking to someone on my behalf, if I would have known that I would have tried to find them - as it was, I walked to the wrong area anyway. I didn't see the booth for the entries because of the long lines. So I sat down at the tables with all of my crap, absolutely exhausted and in tears. I kept painting because that's all I could do. Every so often, I ran into folks here and there. Being near the door was a good spot because everyone passes by sooner or later. But I couldn't go near the Demon entries without crying.

I hope I didn't come across as a bad sport, but it was absolutely heartbreaking to get that far, come so close, and miss it by a hair - especially considering that Murphy's law was in full force. And old Murphy wasn't done with me yet.

When it was time to leave, the airlines screwed me. Going to, they didn't charge me for my luggage but going home, they charged me. Well, I was out of money by that time. My bags had my minis in them, I'm not leaving them behind. Come to find out, because they canceled the flight, I got my bags free, not the same coming home. Well, thanks for telling me. Trystan came to my rescue but I couldn't get on another flight because the airlines said my return ticket didn't have enough value. My mom wired money to me but there was a problem with that too - it was only available in Texas. She had to go back (she's in Arizona right now and in the boonies - she had to drive 50 miles) to get it straightened out. But I finally got that money. But it's cash and the cheap airfare is all online. Talking to the airlines directly, they charge double. So I couldn't get a plane ticket back home.

At least Chicago has a fantastic mass transit system. I grew up in an area that didn't have much mass transit, so I'm not that experienced with it. The first thing I did was go to a UPS store and ship my extra stuff home. I have a UPS account but UPS Stores can't charge my account so I had to pay cash for that too. But hauling my luggage was too much so I shipped what I could home, leaving myself just my backpack. I then made my way back to O'Hare and to the Blue Line. I took the "L" from there to Union Station. I was able to purchase a ticket on Amtrak from Chicago to Longview Texas and from there - included in the ticket, was a bus ride to Houston. Amtrak only runs a couple of trains in/out from Houston now, and supplements the rest with bus travel.

The train/bus ride took a full 24 hours. Aside from not being able to smoke, it was a pretty nice trip. Next time I bring my E-cig. I swore off ever going to Chicago again - and only traveling to Reaper in Texas. But the train ride wasn't bad - it would have been okay if I could have planned for it. So if I do go anywhere else, it will be by train. The airlines can kiss my butt. Too damn expensive, I felt like a piece of origami trying to fold myself into the seat - my knees will never forgive me, the luggage limitations and charges are ridiculous, and the delays are insane. The train was far more comfortable - lots of room and I was riding coach. I can take food with me. The only drawback - the ride was smooth but still bumpy enough that I wasn't able to paint - but other than that it was just fine. If I bring my E-cig, I don't have to go nuts hoping they stop for a smoke break (and the train does stop for smoke breaks sometimes - it depends on the engineer).

I got home around 4pm yesterday and slept until 5 this morn. My feet and ankles are still swollen like tree trunks. lol! The stuff I shipped home should be here tomorrow. So today I'm going to clean out the work area and start again.

Aside from seeing my friends and meeting folks from here face to face, there was one other good thing. Awhile back, the owner of a new company developing pigments found my website and contacted me about trying them and making recommendations. They are still going through the testing phase before they can be offered to the public. But they plan on offering not only pigments but paint, sealers - the whole nine yards for us. Right before GD, I discovered they are near Chicago and told the owner about GD so he could see our hobby and the quality of work up close. Since it was in his back yard, he took my advice and attended. He happened to find me and we chatted for awhile. He's got some business proposals that sound fantastic. If everything goes in the right direction there is definite potential and I'm really excited about it. So it was fantastic to be able to meet him and talk.

Anyway, I certainly had an adventure - insane as it was - congrats to the winners but most of all to my friends THANK YOU FOR BEING THERE WHEN I NEEDED YOU!!!! I love you guys!!!!!

Yay for being home in one piece!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460