My name is Alex Bucevschi, and I have been a hobbyist just like you for quite a few years. However, this time I come asking different questions.
In general, I wonder how different people look at their work with miniatures (sculpting, converting, painting, etc.). As part of a small study I am doing (for a graded academic paper), I now have a chance to satisfy my curiosity. Thus, I am looking for fellow hobbyists willing to answer a number of questions bellow.
A few general instructions before you answer:
1. Please try to avoid looking at someone else’s response. I want to know what you think.
(a). If you feel uncomfortable posting your answers, you can send them to me by private message.
2. If you have any questions, please send me a private message.
3. After you have answered you can look at other’s opinions and discuss anything you believe is relevant.
The list of questions follows bellow. Please try to answer as many of the questions as possible. I highly appreciate all of you who take their time to answer these questions!
1. Do you paint or sculpt miniatures (or both)? Do you do only this?
2. Do you compete (or want to compete) with your work? Why (if relevant)?
3. What led you to the hobby?
4. What do you like about working on miniatures?
5. Can you please describe your usual work process from beginning to end? If relevant, please mention
(a). Which tools you would consider necessary and why?
(b). What your work environment is like.
(c). How you choose what to work on and what you do with it.
(d). How often and for how long you work on a piece.
(e). What you do with a piece, once it is finished.
6. What would, in your opinion, be considered a good miniature?
7. What qualities would an individual need, to be able to make such a miniature?
8. Do you think anyone can reach a high standard? Explain your opinion.
9. Do you think money is important for the hobby? Please explain your opinion.
10. Why work with miniatures? Do you prefer them over other artistic forms such as canvas painting or photography?
11. If you were to compare the painting (or sculpting) miniatures with other art forms, where would you say it’s similar and where does it stand apart?
12. How do you deal with the fact that when painting, you are working on someone else’s sculpt? How does this influence your work process?
13. Is there a community of hobbyists where you live?
14. Are you involved with such a community (and if there is none, would you like there to be one)?
15. If you post pictures of your work on CMON, why do you do so?
16. How do outsiders react to your work? Describe an event if you can.
If you have anything you would like to add about your work or the hobby and its artistic side, please do so.
Thank you all again for taking the time!
Alex / Volemak