Questions about the hobby and you

Thread: Questions about the hobby and you

Question Questions about the hobby and you

Hello everyone,

My name is Alex Bucevschi, and I have been a hobbyist just like you for quite a few years. However, this time I come asking different questions.

In general, I wonder how different people look at their work with miniatures (sculpting, converting, painting, etc.). As part of a small study I am doing (for a graded academic paper), I now have a chance to satisfy my curiosity. Thus, I am looking for fellow hobbyists willing to answer a number of questions bellow.

A few general instructions before you answer:

1. Please try to avoid looking at someone else’s response. I want to know what you think.
    (a). If you feel uncomfortable posting your answers, you can send them to me by private message.
    2. If you have any questions, please send me a private message.
    3. After you have answered you can look at other’s opinions and discuss anything you believe is relevant.

The list of questions follows bellow. Please try to answer as many of the questions as possible. I highly appreciate all of you who take their time to answer these questions!

1. Do you paint or sculpt miniatures (or both)? Do you do only this?
    2. Do you compete (or want to compete) with your work? Why (if relevant)?
    3. What led you to the hobby?
    4. What do you like about working on miniatures?
    5. Can you please describe your usual work process from beginning to end? If relevant, please mention
    (a). Which tools you would consider necessary and why?
    (b). What your work environment is like.
    (c). How you choose what to work on and what you do with it.
    (d). How often and for how long you work on a piece.
    (e). What you do with a piece, once it is finished.
    6. What would, in your opinion, be considered a good miniature?
    7. What qualities would an individual need, to be able to make such a miniature?
    8. Do you think anyone can reach a high standard? Explain your opinion.
    9. Do you think money is important for the hobby? Please explain your opinion.
    10. Why work with miniatures? Do you prefer them over other artistic forms such as canvas painting or photography?
    11. If you were to compare the painting (or sculpting) miniatures with other art forms, where would you say it’s similar and where does it stand apart?
    12. How do you deal with the fact that when painting, you are working on someone else’s sculpt? How does this influence your work process?
    13. Is there a community of hobbyists where you live?
    14. Are you involved with such a community (and if there is none, would you like there to be one)?
    15. If you post pictures of your work on CMON, why do you do so?
    16. How do outsiders react to your work? Describe an event if you can.

If you have anything you would like to add about your work or the hobby and its artistic side, please do so.

Thank you all again for taking the time!
    Alex / Volemak

Both

sometimes, I enjoy competing but never finish anything for a comp. I have something decent, I will enter it

Saw a friend's white dwarf in the 90's and loved the minis

detail, character

5. Can you please describe your usual work process from beginning to end? If relevant, please mention

knife, wet n dry, glue. Pin vice and drill bits with corresponding rods

messy

whatever i am in the mood to do

depends, if it takes more that 4-6 hours, i usually don;t finish it

given a few away, sold a couple, keep the rest to prove I have actually finished something

something with character and quality

7. What qualities would an individual need, to be able to make such a miniature?

skill and an eye for character

no, although practice helps, you need a certain amount of inherent skill

no, but it helps

10. Why work with miniatures? Do you prefer them over other artistic forms such as canvas painting or photography?

yeah because i find them more interesting, dunno why

11. If you were to compare the painting (or sculpting) miniatures with other art forms, where would you say it’s similar and where does it stand apart?

define art...for most the models are just tokens in a game and treated as such, which is fair enough

12. How do you deal with the fact that when painting, you are working on someone else’s sculpt? How does this influence your work process?

doesn't affect me at all

yeah a few

14. Are you involved with such a community (and if there is none, would you like there to be one)?

i am close with a few, know a few others

to stroke my ego and get advice

they tend not to overly, my work isn't that remarkable, although they can often appreciate what i am attempting to achieve
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Volemak View Post
    1. only paint, I would love to sculpt, but with 2 link hands... no chance
    2. yes. for the fun of it (and to meet other painters), and it helps me push forward to getting better
    3. PC-Dawn-of-War game (before that I tried to go at ship/airplane modelling, when I was little)
    4. I like finishing them and seeing them painted
    5. almost the usual one: preparing and priming the mini, forgetting it on the table for a few weeks, blocking in the colors, forgetting again for a few weeks, doing the highlights/shadows in one looooong session.
    6. can't tell. sometimes a comedy relief makes it good for me, sometimes something completely different. The only common thing I have is that I just love semi-naked female figures
    7. lot of practice
    8. yes, no need to explain, it's enough to check the weekly-top for me (if the question was if anyone who gets into painting can get a high standard than the answer is again yes. best example is myself, altough my highest standard is between 7-8 here, but considering, that I almost failed at art in school it's pretty good)
    9. can't tell, for me not that much, because I have a good job, but for a lot of people it's a big problem.
    10.again no precise answer, mostly an emotional thing. I find it easier than painting on a canvas, and photo was never my favorite medium.
    11. I find it a bit different. For me it's mostly about getting the contrast and blending good enough and that part isn't really seen in the traditional arts. The choice of colors and such are similar on minis and 'normal' art
    12. doesn't bother me at all
    13. not really, I keep contact with friends with similar interests through the net
    14. yes, in hungary (hungarian website / maillist) also I registered on a german painting site, but I'm not too active there
    15. to get comments on them (and with rating to know about where I am (that's why I feel somewhat bad about the way people score these days)) to know where to improve
    16. They think the painting itself is a waste of time, but until today everyone loved the result, so outsiders love the painted minis, but think I'm nuts painting them (instead of smoking/drinking/movies or starting a normal family)

1. I mainly paint, but I do like to sculpt.
    2. I have competed locally, and in a few internet competitions. They always seem like a good idea, then the deadline approaches and I'm only half done. It's fun to compare your work with others.
    3. My father, back in the early 90s and Games Workshop just came out.
    4. The painting gives me a sense of accomplishment, and it's relaxing.
    5. First, I pick a mini that catches my eye. Then I let it sit for a while while I buy more minis. Once I get started, I need:
    (a). Paint, primer, brushes, files, glue, and a wet palette.
    (b). It's a bloody mess, but I have one cheapo LED light and a nice natural light lamp.
    (c). By impulse. I don't put a lot of forethought into it, I just start painting.
    (d). Depends on the piece. I'm not fast, but I don't spend 60 hours on one piece either.
    (e). Display cabinet for me. I don't sell. Who'd want my stuff anyways?
    6. Depends on the criteria. You can have good sculpts, good paintjobs, good overall compositions, etc.
    7. Creativity and patience.
    8. Yes. Skill and talent make the path easier, but with planning and practice anyone can whip up a display level mini.
    9. Yes, only in as much as you need it to buy the basics. If you're a gamer it's more important, as you need to buy your armies.
    10. I stink at photography, and I've never really tried other forms of artistic expression.
    11. It's similar in that at the higher levels, a lot of the things that classical artists need to think about (color theory, light sources, composition) are important to the mini painter as well. It's different in that unless you're a sculptor, you need to work within the confines of what the mini presents you.
    12. It doesn't bother me. If it did, I reckon I'd be a better sculptor!
    13. Yes. Gamers, painters, people who do both.
    14. A little. I talk to the people more in cyberspace than I do in meatspace.
    15. I do, because I'm a glutton for punishment. Seriously though, I do it because it's a great way to get feedback from other painters.
    16. They don't, because typically only other hobbyists see my stuff. "Outsiders" typically aren't interested.

Hope this helps.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Paint only.

Seldom compete. Never felt the need to, I only compete to show support for a mate.

Since young, I've always held a fascination with applying colour to blank slates. It started off with a paint-your-own Playmobil set, and went on from there.

It's relaxing. It requires so much focus, the rest of the world just fades away, and I can ignore everything else for a while.

The usual - de-mould-line, file, clip off tabs, prime, etc. Nothing out the ordinary, except that I'm compulsive about pinning things, so I'll always take my Dremel and put holes and pins in every join I can think of. Doesn't always work out well - somethings are just too fiddly to be pinned.

(a). Which tools you would consider necessary and why? Needles files and the Dremel Stylus with a 0.1mm drill bit. I cannot abide mould lines, and there's my aforementioned obsession with pinning. The Dremel makes holing things a lot easier - although I've drilled my fingers and nails more times than I care to count, the risk is well outweighed by the sheer convenience factor.

(b). What your work environment is like. Standard desk set-up, paints on left, toolbox in center, airbrush and compressor on right. Well-ventilated space in the study, although I really need to get a vacuum cleaner in there a lot more often than once a fortnight. Oh, yes, and the indispensible box of masks for when I'm airbrushing.

(c). How you choose what to work on and what you do with it. I love fantasy miniatures, and will paint those in preference over anything else. No particular method in choosing what to work on - I'll pick something up at random and think "it's about bloody time I got started on this" and have a go.

(d). How often and for how long you work on a piece. A table-top piece for me takes about a week, sometimes two if I'm lazy. I tend to put in a couple of hours every night, slowly chipping away at the fig. I admit I don't usually paint during weekends - they're precious for spending time with the missus.

(e). What you do with a piece, once it is finished. Put it in the display cabinet, where they stay until broken (cause the cats have this knack of actually getting inside the cabinet and knocking things around - still don't know how they do it).

6. What would, in your opinion, be considered a good miniature? Subtle blends, popping highlights, and a spanking pose.

7. What qualities would an individual need, to be able to make such a miniature? An eye for sculpting detail, and ability to make dynamic poses. Never really gave a lot of thought to this, I'll admit.

8. Do you think anyone can reach a high standard? Explain your opinion. "High" means different things to different people. For the purposes of this reply, I'll classify "high" standards as something Jennifer Haley would churn out. I don't think everyone is capable of reaching this level. Might come awfully close, but the same level? Unlikely, as I reckon it's a combination of skill (which can be learnt), and natural talent (which cannot be learnt).

9. Do you think money is important for the hobby? Please explain your opinion. Yes. It's about the initial barrier to entry - it's a tad high, considering one must get a starter paint set, brushes, brush cleaner, files, and then the miniatures. But that rapidly tapers off provided one looks after the tools. Of course, with the increasing cost of miniatures, buying them outright costs cash as well - but one might also consider trades and barters, which alleviates it somewhat.

10. Why work with miniatures? Do you prefer them over other artistic forms such as canvas painting or photography? I've tried canvas painting, and didn't like it. I've tried computer design, too - not for me, and it gave me RSI. I do photography, though not with any great skill - it's the getting out into nature for the photography that appeals to me. So, why miniatures? The smaller size poses a unique set of challenges (not the least of which is to my eyesight!) and they take up less space in the cabinet.

11. If you were to compare the painting (or sculpting) miniatures with other art forms, where would you say it’s similar and where does it stand apart? I think a lot of the techniques we use in painting miniatures are derived from classical painting techniques. NMM, for example, I feel is used quite commonly in many fantasy paintings, but the old Rackham painters turned it on to miniatures, and it worked really well. That's where the crossovers for me stand out. Where it stands out is that canvas painting are 2D - it takes a bit of thought to take a classical technique and turn it into a 3D technique. Plus, it seems that there's a lot of innovations in miniature painting - from Massive Voodoo's discoveries on making cobwebs, to NMM, to juicing, and clever basing (like Matt Cexwish's stuff). I don't know a lot of about classical art, but it seems that the best thing in art that's come long in the past 30 years is modern art - I look at some of this stuff and have to say: "Really?!"

12. How do you deal with the fact that when painting, you are working on someone else’s sculpt? How does this influence your work process? I admit, more times than not, I try to emulate the studio paintjob. That's the influence right there. But I always feel that someone has put a lot of work into sculpting a miniature, and I'll do my damned best to do it justice.

13. Is there a community of hobbyists where you live? Currently living and working in Singapore. I have very little interaction with the painting crowd here, largely because my work takes a massive chunk of my time, and also because they all seem to be oh-so-young in the store, and I feel terribly out of place. In Australia, there's a very active community of painters which I interact with, and a lot of them are great mates. They're all much better painters than I am, too.

14. Are you involved with such a community (and if there is none, would you like there to be one)? I'm involved only in the Australian (Sydney) scene, because that's where home is. The OzPainters community, in particular, holds occasional painting workshops, and I contribute my place - I do like folks coming over, and it's particularly fun when it's a whole bunch of folks who talk your language and can get excited over "oh, wow, look at the outstanding blend on that cloak!" while squinting till we're all half-blind.

15. If you post pictures of your work on CMON, why do you do so? No. I paint for my own pleasure, and do not feel the need to "advertise" on CMON. Where I desire criticism, I tend to seek it from the OzPainters community, and in particularly from mates.

Most of the time, it's with a modicum of interest. For example, when even I mention in passing that I paint miniatures, the reaction has always been "oh, that's nice" and then we'll all unanimously move on to another topic. More recently, though, the company magazine interviewed me on miniature painting, as a segment on highlighting "interesting people" at work. The interviewer was kind enough to have done a bit of research on this, so we did get on pretty well. It also helped that her boss was a very avid modeler, although he does the larger armour WW2 kits. I hear he's quite proficient with an airbrush, too.

1. Do you paint or sculpt miniatures (or both)? Do you do only this? - paint
    2. Do you compete (or want to compete) with your work? Why (if relevant)? - sometimes
    3. What led you to the hobby? - from getting heroquest as a child
    4. What do you like about working on miniatures? - relaxing (most of the time LOL)

(a). Which tools you would consider necessary and why? - brush
    (b). What your work environment is like. - dining room table
    (c). How you choose what to work on and what you do with it.- just what looks good at the time
    (d). How often and for how long you work on a piece. - weeks
    (e). What you do with a piece, once it is finished. - keep but sometimes sell

6. What would, in your opinion, be considered a good miniature? - I think you can always tell if the mini has effort put in, even if the paint job is poor - I always score high on minis that I can tell the person has put love into.
    7. What qualities would an individual need, to be able to make such a miniature? - PATIENCE
    8. Do you think anyone can reach a high standard? Explain your opinion. Yes I reckon so
    9. Do you think money is important for the hobby? Please explain your opinion. I suppose, for the business's that make the products and keep the hobby moving.
    10. Why work with miniatures? Do you prefer them over other artistic forms such as canvas painting or photography? - yes i prefer minis
    12. How do you deal with the fact that when painting, you are working on someone else’s sculpt? How does this influence your work process? - I try and do the sculpt justice, but put my own mark on the mini also
    13. Is there a community of hobbyists where you live? - I havent check it out
    14. Are you involved with such a community (and if there is none, would you like there to be one)? - just CMON
    15. If you post pictures of your work on CMON, why do you do so? for advice and tips, also for a push to improve. I like talking with other people who love the hobby as much as me.
    16. How do outsiders react to your work? Describe an event if you can. from my expeirence people always ask how much can you sell the minis for, if you say you do it for the love of it they look at you like a nutter!
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

A: Paint primarily. I've never quite got into the full sculpting side of things, but do frequently do small modifications to miniatures. I do occasionally game, but only with a small group of friends/family.

A: I like to enter Golden Demon, more for the prestige of saying I have than the likelihood of winning anything. I like to see how my miniature appears in comparison to others and think that it's a really good eye opener to see where my standard of painting sits comparatively.

A: A holiday in Devon when I was 8. The neighbour of the holiday home painted/collected and me and my brother went round and saw her Orc & Goblin collection and we were lucky enough to be given a few old WD's. I didn't really get into the hobby for another 3 or 4 years though.

A: being able to zone out of the real world for a bit. My job/life is pretty full on and being able to step away is a complete godsend. I really enjoy doing the planning stage and spend a lot of time thinking about what and how I'm going to do something.

5. Can you please describe your usual work process from beginning to end?
    A: I don't actually have a "normal" work process as it depends entirely on the piece I'm doing - actually the only thing that is the same on every project is that the first task is to think about the order that I'm doing something.

If relevant, please mention
    A:
    * Swann Morton scalpel - can pretty much do any cleaning, cutting, crafting with a new blade, plus blades are very cheap for this handle
    * Paint Tray - Currently a plastic GW paint station but sometimes a wooden cutlery tray. Allows me to keep everything together on a project and can work wherever I want (dining table, sofa, floor, bed)
    * Airbrush & Compressor - pretty much use it in some manner for every project, even if it's just applying a varnish

(b). What is your work environment is like.
    A: My main office desk space tends to start off pretty organised and tidy and deteriorates during a project. Sometimes it will get a mid-project clean if it's become really messy, and will get a tidy & clean when I go from the assembly to paint phases.

A: I tend to hop from one project to another and until recently rarely finished a project in one go. Pretty much as my mood takes me unless I've got a target (which could be getting miniatures ready for a game, a GD entry, etc). I paint for my own pleasure so keep everything with the exception of a Stormlord tank I painted for a friend the beginning of the year.

A: Ages. Minimum of 30 minutes, but normal 1 ~ 2 hours. Sometimes if I'm in the right frame of mind I may do 8+ hour sessions. Frequency is dependant on what is happening in the evening and how tired I am. If I'm really tired I know that I'll not be concentrating properly and would rather not risk messing something up.

Put it on a sliding shelf in a cupboard, I am however looking out for a wall mounted display cabinet that I can put bits in.

A: Something that inspires a scene in your mind's eye or a miniature that makes you go "wow". This later category includes miniatures that make you go "I would love to paint that, the detail is so crisp and is begging for me to paint it".

A: Something that has a dynamic and engaging pose with a good level of detail and realism. It's easy to put too much detail onto a miniature and that can detract from the overall piece.

A: No, I don't believe that anyone can reach a high standard as there are numerous people who refuse to listen to advice or practise enough, or feel that they should be able to read an article and immediately paint like a pro. I do believe that with the right incentive/drive anyone can improve their abilities to as high as they're going to get, but that standard isn't going to be 'Golden Demon' standard for everyone.

A: Yes, but in varying degrees. You need money to get your basic materials/miniatures so trying to get into the hobby with no money isn't actually practical. Likewise you will need a certain amount of investment to keep supplies running (this includes glue, undercoat, etc). If you're a "gamer" or "army collector" money is more important than if you're a "painter" as you will want to buy the latest releases as and when they come out. On the surface it's an expensive hobby, especially if you're looking to get into gaming, but in comparison it's cheaper than going out on the beer every weekend or getting into some other hobbies - and it's a warm and dry hobby too!

A: I've done a little photography but other art forms have never interested me. I find that the miniature painting/sculpting hobby has a much more mature environment of people than some hobbies (I don't mean age) and its rare to find any real nastiness as we're all enthusiasts.

A: With my limited knowledge I would say that it is always "hobby" orientated. A painting or photograph on a wall or sculpture in the garden is (broadly speaking) functional, it's no longer something that is a hobby. A miniature (even if displayed) seems to stay as a hobby item.

A: It doesn't influence me at all in the same way as I'm not particularly bothered that I've not made my own paint from grinding up a flower or rock I found in the garden. That said my influence is more that I like all my miniature collections to have synergy with each other so I tend to not mix different manufacturers - Games Workshop is very good at keeping that synergy in a range.

A: There is a games club but not a community of painters/sculptors to my knowledge.

A: I've never really thought about it. If there were community events (e.g. painting days) locally then I've likely be interested, but I've got so used to having all my various paraphernalia about, I'd not be bothered about travelling somewhere to paint.

A: I tend to post WIP shots when I'm doing big projects as I value the feedback and comments. When working on something I will nearly always become "too close" and not see the obvious. CMoN (and my other half) are really good at pointing out what they do and don't like and those comments are invaluable in improving my standard of painting. I've never put a miniature up for voting (I suppose I should do at some point).

A: I generally don't show miniatures to "outsiders" as it's a bit of a strange hobby for a 30+ year old to do. Not that I'm bothered by what people think, but I just can't be bothered to get into a conversation with somebody who doesn't actually know what the hobby is about. Yes that's me being intolerant but our hobby falls under the same umbrella heading of "war-gaming" and most people's stereotype of this is of under 16 boys with no personal hygiene.
    Last edited by RuneBrush; 06-22-2012 at 10:29 AM.

I'd say paint only. And by "only", I'd wager you mean "only creative thing"? Unless you count designing things, then no.

I'll do a CMON contest from time to time. Haven't made lots of time to do that.

I was looking around for a hobby to do, one that wouldn't take up a lot of space and that I could pick up and put down when needed. Then I saw this mini, and was hooked.

I like the challenge that it presents to do it right. It's not something I find easy, other than some other artistic things. Several of those I can just "do" and not think about it, and they come out wonderful. If I don't work hard at the mini, it doesn't come out right.

A good brush with a decent tip, and paints meant for miniature painting. Those two have helped the most.

I have a dedicated painting desk with cabinets and files in the basement that I claimed.

There's little rhyme or reason to my choices. I don't game, and don't have any specific plan, so it is just what interests me at the time.

Lately I've been getting in an hour or two for two or three days a week. The previous years its been a lot less.

I've got a display cabinet that I put most of them into. However, my first batch of minis I ever painted were shipped off overseas to a gaming convention that being held for soldiers. I believe that they were given away as prizes.

Process: I start by cleaning the mini, soap and water with a toothbrush for plastic but a wire wheel on a dremel for metal minis. Then its off to get primer, either white for bright minis or black for darker ones. Then it's putting the paint on, shading and highlights, and then I work up the base. Finish it off with cheap clear gloss spray then more expensive clear matte.

One with an interesting figure, with no to minor defects, and was sculpted well.

They'd need to be talented enough to not make something ugly, unless it was meant to be, and at least look like it wasn't just thrown together.

Of course! All the information is out there, and nearly everybody is happy to help someone along. The only block is practice.

Not really. There's start up costs for any hobby, but purchasing the minis is fairly cheap after that. In addition, there's a lot of natural materials that can be gathered and used to make nice bases. No need for expensive store bought stuff.

I prefer minis over other forms as I can do a lot of it nearly anywhere, and get away with a small box of things to take. I can also stop and start whenever I need to.

I'd say its similar in that you're taking something raw and turning into something else that will bring attention to it. It's a little different in that most of the figures are stock, and one can see multiple versions of the same miniature. Painting and photography are usually different every single time, even with the same subject.

Doesn't bother me in the least. The mini is the canvas, the raw block of marble. I'm the one that brings it out.

There's a monthly painting group I know of, plus any of the gamers. I don't really get together with them much as my schedule doesn't fit painting sometimes.

Barely. I'm a member of their web site, and have gone to one painting session.

I do it to get it out there to others, and to see how well I did with (hopefully) unbiased eyes.

Most people take a "meh" approach to what I do. My wife loves what I can do, but that's mostly because she's the artistic type and really enjoys seeing what I've done.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

I do both. As far as miniatures are concerned, that's all I do with them, as I'm not nearly a fast enough painter to get a model army at a standard that I consider acceptable before I get bored.

No. I'd love to compete, but I need to get in a little bit of practice before I'm willing to give any competitions a shot

Constant contact with others involved in it.

It's a great feeling looking at a finished miniature and thinking "I sculpted and painted that, from scratch"

Size 0 brush (sable) and a couple of shades of paint and ink is the bare minimum. Some low quality brushes for inking and drybrushing are handy. A file for getting rid of flash on any miniature I've bought is also great.
    Anywhere there's a flat surface and room for a palette
    Generally there's something that triggers the desire to make/paint a mini. Usually, it's my Pathfinder group, or rather a character from one of our games. Sometimes, it's an idea a friend has had, or just "That's a kickass model, I want it".
    Generally I do two or three models over the course of a month, then take a break. If they're simple sculpts, I can do about twenty in a month to a standard I'm happy with. If they're rank and file troops, it takes me an hour or so, not including waiting for paint to dry, to do a bunch of them.
    Display it. I wish I had friends who played Mordheim, or something so I could use one of my innumerable warbands.

It needs to be positioned dynamically, not have unnecessary detail that detracts from the overall mood and -has- to draw the eye to the face or other points of interest.

Patience. Anyone could make a good model, given arbitrary time and patience.

Yes. If you put in the hours, you become skilled. However, putting in the hours requires a specific temperament, which not everyone possesses

Yes. Very much yes. Everything is so expensive. A brush and paints can set you back $50, and that's before you've even bought a single model. If you want to sculpt your own, better be prepared to pay through the nose for quality gear

Only thing I can paint. I need a surface to work with that isn't flat. That being said, I do like drawing. Photography is dull to me, it's not my thing. I'm gradually learning to paint on other media, but I'm not really skilled.

It's all about taking someone elses' art and adding to it. You start with a sculpture that's gorgeous in and of itself, and try to improve upon it by taking what works and emphasizing it, and stealing focus from the areas the sculpt is lacking. It's more about building upon someone elses' work than making something all by yourself.

You have to look for what they put in there as natural points of focus, and use them. Apart from that, not much.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't, but I'm not really part of any such community

Nope

Haven't posted anything yet, but I'll get some of my favourites on here sometime soon.

Generally I only get to show off to friends, and it's usually a reaction of "How much time did you spend on this?". I tend not to get the reaction I'd like, so I don't show my stuff off much (If ever). My favourite reaction I have ever gotten was "How did you fit a little light in that lanter.. oh wait that's paint!".

1Do you paint or sculpt miniatures (or both)? Do you do only this?
    Paint only, (construction of model/figures and bases notwithstanding). Sculpting only for conversion or replacement on damaged parts.

Yes. Recognition by peers and to improve ability as well as for commercial assistance with Commission’s.

Initially needed historical reference material for school project work during the 1970’s. Developed into hobby from that.

Concentration in a different field to my normal work. Tangible completion of item, constant work to improve performance. taking soemone elses idea and developing my own 'tack' on it
    5. Can you please describe your usual work process from beginning to end? Ifrelevant, please mention

Consideration, Purchase, Preparation, Priming, Faces, Basecoats, Shade, Highlight, Shade,Highlight, Freehand, Base work, Stand, Titling and finally Varnish.

Good model Knife X-Acto or better, Good files, Winsor & Newton Brushes, Dremel.

Combination between Mess and Hazardous Waste Storage area. Dumping Ground.

Magpie Syndrome (bright and shiney new piece) Commission. Mood I'm in. Need to do something for myself or even if the Winds in the West.

Gaming standard 1 hour (+/-) Competition piece up to 60 (+/-) hours

Competition, Display, Return to commissioning Customer. Lose the Damn thing(!)

One mans meat is another mans poison.
    My preference is for 99.9% of Werner Klocke’s sculpting, but it’s the eye catching quality of individual miniatures which appeal for so many differing reasons.

I'm sorry but that's impossible to define. I can't outline Werner's qualities even after having met him several times, or the qualities of other sculptors. In terms of Vison of what is or makes a sculptors finilised product then it has to do with the subjects like, the poise, the storytelling and the level of detail placed in a miniature which draws the initial appeal.

Define standard?, can anyone pass the table top GW standard? Easily Yes.
    Can anyone match or exceed Golden Deamon winners in say France or Germany? I’d have to say No not everyone.

Of course! Without money the production of the miniatures would stagnate and or cease. Purchasing power of the customer keeps businesses alive.
    10. Why work with miniatures? Do you prefer them over other artistic forms suchas canvas painting or photography?

Miniatures have a differing appeal to 2D art and I work in all three of your detailed mediums.
    11. If you were to compare the painting (or sculpting) miniatures with otherart forms, where would you say it’s similar and where does it stand apart?

It’s similarities are in the use of highlighting and shadows to define the structure of the miniature, its differences are in the fact that the miniature is a 3d version of a canvas.
    12. How do you deal with the fact that when painting, you are working onsomeone else’s sculpt? How does this influence your work process?

Sometimes it’s the confluence of two separate peoples vision which allow a miniature with appeal to “Hit the spot”.
    In some instances Yes, the subject is influenced solely by what it depicts, such as a WW11 paratrooper is totally different in approach to a Fantasy Orc.

YES.
    14. Are you involved with such a community (and if there is none, would youlike there to be one)?

Yes I am involved with the community.
    15. If you post pictures of your work onCMON, why do you do so?
    Cos I’m a Show Off Tart. Everyone wants to receive some form of praise for their work as well as constructive criticism.

Most people outside of the hobby recognize that I expand a considerable level of effort in producing the end product.
    Some people understand the depiction of the figures. Some just like the Pretty or Cuteness factor.

I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Well my paper is now done...

So thank you all for participating and tanking your time to answer my questions! You have all been truly helpful

Alex

I paint anything fantasy and sometimes SciFi. I only sculpt surfaces or e.g. toadstools for a base. I read fantasy and SciFi or rulebooks.

My work is not at any standard for competition.

A friend with a White Dwarf in '91. Later on playing and starting painting Man O' War (GW Sea Battle Game.)

The beauty of the finished work or tabletop sights.

I improvise most of the time between techniques e.g. painting cotton inkwash marks on a flagellants' robe.
    Techniques in several order (See above) : white spray, colour undercoat with Valleyo Game Color, firm ink wash, highlighting e.g. blending layering drybrushing. sometimes repeat. For tabletop I have painted quick, several models at a time. 1 model at a time for less quick painting.

good plastic clipper, it saves time filing gets you quicker to the painting.

table with plastic cover, paints and tools all over it, some things on a plank above the table. Macbook on the table.

Mostly for GW armies.

several hours / 1 day per mini.

put it on the planks above the desk

for blending, robed figures.

Mike McVey ;-)

Practice helps.

Yes, you do not buy the good things sometimes because of the price.

Tabletop gaming.

Painting the minis is confined to the sculpt itself, you can paint anything on canvas.

None.

Yes.

No, I am a regular player.

To see myself improve, tough I've painted much over the years I do not always do my best.

They grin, and most probably think I'm a rambling idiot, see above clubtime!

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

A: I mostly sculpt. The rare occassions when I do paint are for my own sculpts (usually as gifts or commissions).
    A: I'm in the hobby for fun and found out very early on that there are always going to be thousands of people vastly more talented and experienced out there. While competition drives us to improve I'm not out to beat anyone.
    A. Probably either passing a GW stockist or seeing a friends miniatures 20 years ago. Whatever came first!
    A. The satisfaction of producing something; the pride in improvement; the positive feedback of others.
    5. Can you please describe your usual work process from beginning to end?
    A. Idea / inspiration; rough sketch; sculpt; leave to gather dust for 1 week to 5 years; resume sculpting; repeat.
    If relevant, please mention
    A. Imagination; reference material; putty; wire; good sculpting tool; knife.
    A. Bed / living room floor / kitchen table. Poor light & little available space!
    A. Whatever inspires me. Finished product either for self, gift, commission or casting.
    A. Sometimes 1-2.5 hours a night, every night for a week. Sometimes every other day or every other week...
    A. Finished product either for self, gift, commission or casting.
    A. Something pleasing to the eyes.
    A. Imagination, patience and practice.
    A. Everyone can reach a certain level, with practice. There is a certain high standard only a lucky few will reach. Like with the guitar, no matter how much you practice, without a certain brain speed or level of dexterity you can only develop so far.
    A. Money can buy you tools and tuition but not the inspiration or determination to succeed / improve. In terms of sculpting I've seen the best work come from a single primitive hand made tool.
    A. I like to concentrate on one technique and this is currently mini sculpting.
    A. Similarities are numerous, mostly involving skill. Differences are the status it is given as an art form as it is not as widely recognised as other art forms.
    A. It's been a while but it was never really something that crossed my mind. When painting my own work I have a vision in my head of how the painted piece should look. I guess there is more scope when painting another persons sculpt as you want to be true to the artists vision but be original at the same time.
    A. Probably!
    A. I would like to be involved with fellow sculptors but these can be hard to find locally. Hence why the intenet is such a god send!
    A. For feedback and for a personal record of my works, like a scrap book.
    A. Some are impressed, fascinated and intruiged. Some are underwhelmed and mock. Some of them are ignorant and change the subject. I've been posting photo's of some of my recent sculpts on Facebook and today received the following from a friend:
    "we need to have a talk abt these little statues - i dont understand"
    Quote Originally Posted by A Luna View Post
    Consider yourself quoted!

Well my paper is now done...

So thank you all for participating and tanking your time to answer my questions! You have all been truly helpful

Alex
    Doh! Should have read a little more before posting!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Luna View Post
    Consider yourself quoted!

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

1. Paint although if I had the time I'd like to learn to sculpt.

2. When I paint I normally do it for competition over on Wamp. I like the idea of themes and it keeps me on track. But I haven't painted in ages.

3. Little naked men.

4. The detail and creativity

5. I usually choose a piece based on a story it brings to mind. I like putting various minis together and figuring out what tey say to me. Normally I paint for comps with themes so the scenes are inmortant. My environment back when I was painting was pretty chaotic with tools, basing materials and paints everywhere and several projects going at once. I think that's why I stopped painting. Too many things going at once that I could never finish anything.

6. That's impossible to say. Something beautiful or thought provoking probably. I think of minis as art and the best painters/sculpters as artists. I'm an amiture.

7. Time, talent, patience and practice.

8. Sure. I've seen it many times. I just haven't achieved it myself.

9. Only the amount of money you can spend. If you paint for money it's not a hobby any more, it's a job.

10. It's what I can do. I can't draw. My photos suck. I can make things but this is what I can do.

11. That's like asking what is art. Yes it's art. Painting is art. Sculpting certainly is. It takes the same skills as "real" art ((if there is such a thing).

12.I don't even think about it. My contribution to the sculpt is how I use it. The setting I put it in and the colors I choose to use and the modifications I make if any.

13. No.

14. I'd like to have people in the area I guess although I don't really miss it. I can't paint in front of people and if I want to talk about painting I come to forums like this. I'm not really a social butterfly (contrary to popular belief)

15. To get feedback. I don't much care for the scores as I paint things that fanboys don't like. But when you get TRUE feedback it can really help you improve.

16. I have only beed to a couple of events so I can really speak to that. The outsiders who see my work marvel at the scale but that's normal.
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.