Highlighting Flesh with an Airbrush

Thread: Highlighting Flesh with an Airbrush

Question Highlighting Flesh with an Airbrush

Good day,

I am just about to airbrush the Dark Elf Dragon from Games Workshop (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...d=prod1250011a), minus the rider, in purple. I know the colours that I am going to use but does anyone have any advice or know of any tutorials for the theory behind highlighting flesh tones.

Also does anyone have an practical advice about airbrushing the chest, that will be a grey colour, so that it seems to fade/transition into the body.

Thanks for reading.

Does airbrushing minis really work?

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Airbrushes are designed for fades and transitions, so I guess I don't understand the question.

The dragon you linked has lots of hard scales that look like they have some very hard highlights on the scales - and that is working. I'm not sure that softer highlights would work there. (in other words, use a brush.).

The wings on the other hand, practically beg for someone to come along and airbrush them.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by Psykostevo
    Does airbrushing minis really work?
    Yes it can, but masking can get to be tedious. Except maybe for takedown and cleaning of the AB, masking usually takes the most effort when airbrushing - the spraying itself is the easy part.

Quote Originally Posted by airhead
    Airbrushes are designed for fades and transitions, so I guess I don't understand the question.
    Exactly my problem earlier.

Einion

You're going to want to do your base coats and global lighting/shading with the airbrush. After that, it's all going to be brush work for all the little shades/highlights that make the details pop.

On the chest specifically, I think I would probably not even mask that. Just do the purple skin first, then come back close in being careful not to put out too much paint and do the chest without masking.