Question about a spider (pic)

Thread: Question about a spider (pic)

Default Question about a spider (pic)

Anyone know what kind of spider this might be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120627_031359.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	14093
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

That's the lesser hooded jumping spider, native to Ultrasmurfia and other points north. Just be glad you didn't come across a female

Einion

Thanks a bunch!

Aaah, dammit, my google fu is failing me today. XD
    Last edited by Chrome; 06-27-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Okay seriously, I think it's a female Larinioides sclopetarius or Bridge Orb Weaver. Colouring varies a lot in this spider (lots of brown/ochre ones) but I think the patterning pins it down sufficiently.

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Okay seriously, I think it's a female Larinioides sclopetarius or Bridge Orb Weaver. Colouring varies a lot in this spider (lots of brown/ochre ones) but I think the patterning pins it down sufficiently.

Einion
    Gah, I fell for it so completely it's hilariously sad. XD

Yeah, that definitely looks like the one! Sis has one that lives at one of her stops when she's delivering papers in the morning.

That spider is pretty and looks like a mini. How big is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome
    Gah, I fell for it so completely it's hilariously sad. XD
    Thought the Ultrasmurfia reference would make it clear I was spoofing, sorry! Should have gone for something a bit more outlandish in the name to make it more obvious ^__^

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Thought the Ultrasmurfia reference would make it clear I was spoofing, sorry! Should have gone for something a bit more outlandish in the name to make it more obvious ^__^

Einion

Oh, don't worry about it! I started laughing quite loudly when I realised what I was doing (took me a while as well!)

And I kind of automatically think of "Ultrasmurfia" as Sweden due to our flag, just can't let that go.
    Last edited by Chrome; 06-29-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paintbynumber View Post
    That spider is pretty and looks like a mini. How big is it?

Sis says it's roughly five cm large (two inches) But I think she's adding the legs to her total since the -large- ones are 2cm (0.7in) according to various sources here.