How do I do this?

Thread: How do I do this?

Question How do I do this?

I am building a GK collection and I really want to be able to replicate the metallics from the pics below. Can any of you explain to me how the effect is created or point in the direction of a tutorial on this style please?

Read up on NMM in the sticky links, and study lots of photographs to understand how light interacts with metallic surfaces.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Read up on NMM in the sticky links, and study lots of photographs to understand how light interacts with metallic surfaces.
    Thank you for the reply! I have A LOT of regerence material collected!
    These are painted using metallics, and I am interested in finding out the techniques, washes, etc... used to get the dulled effect.

I'd be surprised if the second one was done in metallics. You could always mix your metallic silver with, say, a grey to dilute the flakes. Washes and glazes can help here too.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

yes, the second one looks like nmm while the first looks normal metal, but it doesn't matter.
    As TrystanGST suggested, read up on NMM. The metallics can be (and for example in this case they probably were) handled as NMM, just with the metallic pigments instead of the normal greys.

the second one isnt nmm. it´s simply dulled down and superbly smooth metals. these are heavily mixed with regular nmm colours and smokes. that´s my guess. the first one is a far more classical eavy metal style tmm.

Newbie, please be gentle Fattiesareawesome's Avatar

I employ a technique that is not identical but looks somewhat the same.

Undercoat: White! (NOT BLACK!!!!) Then shade it with a slightly watered down mix of 95% codex grey, 5% chaos black (yes, Ill use the old names, if you dont mind)
    Apply a coat of Boltgun metal with Mithrill Silver at a 50/50 ratio. take a good amount on a bigger dry brush (as if you are painting normally) and paint is like you would a basecoat, then, use some paper to dry the brush a bit and start repainting it with the paint that is on the model until it is about dry, most of the paint will return to the brush and the effect will actually allign the metal flakes a bit making for a more even, thus flatter looking shine. Quick watered down wash of black then drybrush with the same 50/50 mix of boltgun metal and Mithrill silver to do the highlights.

Hope it can be of use
    -Just keeps moving forward, no matter how often you feel you're going backwards.

With the top pic, do you think it is a simple as painting the model a darker silver, washing it with Badab black and highlighting with a lighter silver?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm Blade View Post
    With the top pic, do you think it is a simple as painting the model a darker silver, washing it with Badab black and highlighting with a lighter silver?
    No. It will involve mixing metallic paints with non metallic paints for the shading and high lighting. The second picture btw, the model has been painted in NMM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm Blade
    That might nearly be the technique but look at the quality, does it look like it was just washed with black for the shading? Regardless of whether it's done starting with a metallic basecoat, the darks are probably glazed on, not applied as washes, because a wash settles into recesses/low spots, doesn't go exactly where you want it (like on the sides of something).

Einion

no. when painting models like these, it´s never as simple as one two three. i´d say around 7-8 layers. tin bitz and boltgun metal as a base, highlighting up to chainmail, a few heavily watered down washes of some tones, and then highlighting from chainmail to mithril silver.

Quote Originally Posted by ischa View Post
    no. when painting models like these, it´s never as simple as one two three. i´d say around 7-8 layers. tin bitz and boltgun metal as a base, highlighting up to chainmail, a few heavily watered down washes of some tones, and then highlighting from chainmail to mithril silver.
    Looking at the softness of the top pictures initial colours I'D suspect that GW metallics were not involved at all.
    The pigment definition is far smaller/finer than GW's and more akin to what I've managed with Vallejo Airbrush Metallics and a gentle drybrush (using Circular strokes).

I take it Grimm Blade that you've seen these pictures on Coolmini and attempted to contact the originator for advice?
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Looking at the softness of the top pictures initial colours I'D suspect that GW metallics were not involved at all.
    The pigment definition is far smaller/finer than GW's and more akin to what I've managed with Vallejo Airbrush Metallics and a gentle drybrush (using Circular strokes).

I take it Grimm Blade that you've seen these pictures on Coolmini and attempted to contact the originator for advice?
    Thank you Dragonsreach, I have attempted to contact the original artists, but have not heard anything back as of yet.
    So from what i am reading from all of your greatly appreciated replies is that the effect was achieved by mixining greys with true metalic paints (probhably not GW) and utilizing NMM techniques in regards to highlights and shading using multiple thin layers, and I would assume wet blending also...... Sounds challenging to say the least, but I am up for it!

Has anyone tried this technique before, or know of a tutorial on this specific technique that i could reference?

Well assume you're describing the basic routine correctly - why not try that, see how you get on? Even if you don't hit it first time (and it's unlikely you would) you'll learn a lot from what goes wrong, sometimes more than from what goes right. Personal experimentation is incredibly valuable that way and I'd strongly recommend it as a result.

Einion

I just got this reply back from the artist of the first pic in regards to my request for how he achieved the look:

"thanks mr grimm blade .. the armor was painted as follows.
    1.base coat bolt gun metal
    2.wash badab black
    3.reaply bolt gun metal where light would fall from above.
    4. wash more badab black in shadow areas many times.
    5.wash in some scorced bown into the joints and inbetwen panels
    .6 high ilght the very edges with mitral silver.

29 June 2012 12:51"

Now its on to see if I can replicate this look!
    THank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I'm going to play devils advocate and I personally reckon the bottom one has been done in regular metallics as well - however they've used a lot of thin washes to shade it so the only "pure" metallic is actually the edge highlights. They have applied NMM techniques when it comes to where they've created the shadows and highlights, which is the secret of achieving a realistic metallic effect.

The top pic is mine. And yes i used gw metallic paints. You need to create a lot of contrast to get this look, from black to white YES! the boltgun metal base coat is heavily glazed down in some areas were light would not fall almost to black glazed about 8 times depending on how dark you want it to be. Then you can also highlight the very sharpest points on the armor with white but it must be used very spairingly. the brain doesnt pic up on the white but it makes a difference. i apply it only over the mithral silver as a seconed edge highlight but only where light would fall directly from above.

sorry about that reply Grimm blade i call "glazes" washes some times!?! some people call them "juices"

It took a long time to paint this mini i wouldnt fancie painting a whole army like this no way!

Quote Originally Posted by black dagger View Post
    The top pic is mine. And yes i used gw metallic paints. You need to create a lot of contrast to get this look, from black to white YES! the boltgun metal base coat is heavily glazed down in some areas were light would not fall almost to black glazed about 8 times depending on how dark you want it to be. Then you can also highlight the very sharpest points on the armor with white but it must be used very spairingly. the brain doesnt pic up on the white but it makes a difference. i apply it only over the mithral silver as a seconed edge highlight but only where light would fall directly from above.

sorry about that reply Grimm blade i call "glazes" washes some times!?! some people call them "juices"

It took a long time to paint this mini i wouldnt fancie painting a whole army like this no way!
    No need to apologize black dagger! I am inspired by your work and I intend to reproduce it for my GK Brotherhood, Land Raiders, Storm Ravens, AND Dread Knights!!! O_O
    I am aiming to achieve a similar effect without loosing my sanity in the process, so it will probably not be to the high standard of your model but hopefully close enough to look cool!