Kath's GD Chicago 2012 WIP
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kath's GD Chicago 2012 WIP

Default Kath's GD Chicago 2012 WIP

Okay I decided I get to have a GD thread too! Especially since a dear friend gave me a pep-talk on the phone the other day and helped me find some direction. So I sat down and for the millionth time mulled over my prospects.

Chaos Marauder Horsemen - definitely going in Warhammer Regiment. Those are in progress but giving me some prepping issues. But they are moving forward and some even have a basecoat.

But I'd love to enter Warhammer Monster unfortunately I'm still not happy with my Forgeworld dragon and am ho-hum about it as an entry. It's not going to work if I can't get some motivation behind it - so to the back of the table it goes.

Then I eyeball my Empire Gryphon aka Big Bird. I started prepping it with the intention of putting it on Ebay and hopefully if it sells the money can go to the GD travel fund. Then I started thinking...ya know...recently I've had a LOT of practice painting gryphons....this would be number 4...and on each one I learned a lot. Hmmmmmm....well, how about if I give it a go but if it starts going south then it can hit Ebay for the travel fund like I originally intended. Okay, that sounds like a plan as long as I don't spin my wheels and waste time.

I had a general idea of what I want him to look like. I'm going with the two-headed gryph and the mage, so I want a darker feel to him. Now the black gryphon I just painted was a good practice run and I definitely know what I DON'T want to do.

A side note here - y'all know how I'm always saying even rude or mean critiques can have value if you don't take them personally and try to see the real issue. Remember the "chainsaw" crack on the griffon, well I thought about it and realized how I could put that lesson to good use on Big Bird here. I want subtle...nice dark colors with some pop of course but not a gryphon who looks like he's ready to attend a Rave.

These metallic pigments are more vibrant against a black base coat. So I decided to have my basecoat help me out here and instead of making it completely black, I started layering dark browns and gradually moved to black in certain areas - like the tips of the wings as you can see in the pic above. (Ya know, I think the damn bird is giving me the finger in that pic!)

So the pigment is started and it looks pretty bright but don't worry remember when I seal it, it tones it down big time.

I applied the metallic pigments to the wing, sealed, and when it dried it toned down nicely but I wasn't done yet. Over the sealed layers I started applying very light glazes and thin, controlled, washes. Then some touch ups on the highlights...now I'm taking a step back to see if I want to keep pushing the shadows or not. But so far I'm very pleased because this is what I got. (I had a heck of a time getting these, basically put paper behind the wing then held it in my left hand and shifted the angle to the light as I took photos with the camera in my right hand and metallics are just a PITA to photograph anyway.)

Now this may not look subtle but you can only see this at a certain angle and getting the angle exact twice isn't easy.

A slightly different angle and there's a definite color shift.

Hey who turned down the volume?

I wish I could get a better shot of this angle because it's close to how the wing will be on the body and you can really see the shape and curve of the wings and feathers - you're not distracted by color at all.

The great part is viewing it in normal lighting conditions and not under my Ott light. That's when it really looks natural and you can better see the "black lining" I did.

Now the more paint I put on, the more I knock down the metallic, so I have to be careful adding anything. But even though these photos make the feathers look flat, they're not, you can see the small nuances sculpted into them.

So, what do ya think? Big change from the Black Gryphon huh? Suggestions, criticisms, thoughts would be very much appreciated....pleeeezzzze! (Need a smiley with big puppy-dog eyes - this is the closest I could get. )

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

You are getting a lot better with that chainsaw, I may have to pick one up.

meh, it´s just bigger feathers, whe probably got a smaller chainsaw aswell looking nice, jokes aside=)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    You are getting a lot better with that chainsaw, I may have to pick one up.
    lol! Thanks Chad. If this continues, I'm considering attempting ice sculpture this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by ischa View Post
    meh, it´s just bigger feathers, whe probably got a smaller chainsaw aswell looking nice, jokes aside=)
    rofl!!! Too funny! Thanks Ischa!!!!

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

In Texas? Insanity!

I told myself I was going to keep track of things like this but I lost count around 10. The rest of this evening I've been patiently applying my glazes for the feather detail. It's basically black lining but I decided to make them really thin but still controllable.

But its a real downer to do all that work, have it looking pretty decent but not be able to photograph it correctly. So with these, I did tweak them simply to show the colors that you can see in real life. I also tried the red background hoping it might help with the blue/green undertones. Not sure if it succeeded or it just blinds everyone. Anyway, I hope you guys can see the details on these. This side of the wing is done - at least until I get the rest painted and need to match things up, etc. Tomorrow I flip it over and try to figure out what to do with the other side.

these metallic pigments will look great under the cabinet lights at GD, looking goooooooood
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Shit! Those wings look BEAUTIFUL! They should catch the judges eyes
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

That's a real great paint and shading job. Can't imagine how much patience it needs to achieve this look *WOW*
    Looking forward to see the complete project done

Apologies for my absense and lack of comments of late - been busy with the baby (and, tbh, a bit distracted by the Sedition Wars kickstarter. man that thing is addictive!)

anyway, on topic:
    I really love what you've achieved with the feathers. While your previous metallic pigment minis were very nice, too, I think this one has taken the whole technique a step further. Its subtle, but at the same time very eye catching. I can imagine it looks even better in the hand. really top level looking stuff. Bravo

Out of interest, and I'm sure you've answered this question before, but could you recommend an online site where I could get those (or similar) metallic pigments? I have a hankering to try them on some eldar...
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

really warming to these pigments, i guess they really are a win win on bigger areas like these. fireworks!

yep defo work very well on larger areas. thumbs up!
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    these metallic pigments will look great under the cabinet lights at GD, looking goooooooood
    Thank you 10! TBH I've heard so much about the crappy lighting at our GD here that I've taken it into consideration. As I'm working, every so often I'll check it away from my table and in the crappy light of the living room. lol! While I haven't been to this convention center I've been at many show halls with awful lighting so I can completely relate.

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    Shit! Those wings look BEAUTIFUL! They should catch the judges eyes
    Hiya Freak! Cool! Thank you so much, hun! Here's hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by DunErwit View Post
    That's a real great paint and shading job. Can't imagine how much patience it needs to achieve this look *WOW*
    Looking forward to see the complete project done
    Thank you Dun! Believe it or not, for me the pigments actually make it easier. One less thing to thin and layer. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by me_in_japan View Post
    Apologies for my absense and lack of comments of late - been busy with the baby (and, tbh, a bit distracted by the Sedition Wars kickstarter. man that thing is addictive!)

anyway, on topic:
    I really love what you've achieved with the feathers. While your previous metallic pigment minis were very nice, too, I think this one has taken the whole technique a step further. Its subtle, but at the same time very eye catching. I can imagine it looks even better in the hand. really top level looking stuff. Bravo

Out of interest, and I'm sure you've answered this question before, but could you recommend an online site where I could get those (or similar) metallic pigments? I have a hankering to try them on some eldar...
    MiJ!!!!!! Missed ya hun! But yeah, babies have a way of taking up all your time. But don't be such a stranger!

Thank you so much! I have to admit I am liking the results too so keep your fingers crossed and we'll see how it goes.

I've gotten them from Dickblick.com but originally picked up this at Hobby Lobby:

Name:  27103-1129-2-3ww-l.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  74.2 KB

If you want to get a trial set to start with go with Series 1. As you can see it has the colors we use all the time especially for armor. The jars are small but they last forever. I've had my set about 3 years now I think and still have plenty. But this will let you see if you like working with them without going to a huge expense.

The colors I'm using on the wing however aren't included in that set - those need to be bought individually. At ReaperCon, John Bonnot told me about Cheap Joe's Art Supply so I could get the ceramic 28 well palette ($5 and it rocks!). I just checked and their prices for individual jars - which are much larger than the sample ones - are lower. Except for 1 color. The Duo Blue Green that I used on the wing tips is on Clearance at DB for $2.79 so you may want to nab a jar or two. I think I'm going to follow my own advice and grab a couple too! lol! I hope they don't discontinue the color or something stupid like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ischa View Post
    really warming to these pigments, i guess they really are a win win on bigger areas like these. fireworks!
    Thank you Ischa! Well using the small Clay Shapers gives me a lot more control over them so I can get into some pretty detailed areas.

For anyone thinking about trying the pigments - don't forget those! Using paint brushes just makes the stuff go everywhere. The Clay Shapers and Colour Shapers, also available on Blick really make a difference with these.

Y'all are wonderful! Thank you so much for the great comments! I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    yep defo work very well on larger areas. thumbs up!
    Skelly!!! You almost slipped past me! Thank you very much, m'dear. A part of the reason is I changed the base coat to a lighter color. On the previous works, I had the base solid black, so the color was stronger. Now that I've seen how much the base coat really changes the look of the metallics I'm definitely going to use it to my advantage on smaller areas so the pigment isn't so overpowering.

Thanks again hun!

Really enjoying the work you do (and learning from it). The first couple pictures had me thinking "huh". The wing tips were looking like ice crystal but the last couple photos and the recent posts were excellent...so it must have been the photos. I think you are on the right track and can not wait to see the finished bird.

There is only one thing I can say really. This is light years ahead the rest of your work I've seen. Not to say they werent all really good, thats just how great this look so far. I'm rooting for you!

looking really very nice so far... great stuff... keep it up

Looks good kath, it will stand out amongst the more "ordinary" griffons in the display.

But it will need a killer base to put in the running for finals. Might want to start pondering and building that from the beginning to get the theme juuuust right.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Really enjoying the work you do (and learning from it). The first couple pictures had me thinking "huh". The wing tips were looking like ice crystal but the last couple photos and the recent posts were excellent...so it must have been the photos. I think you are on the right track and can not wait to see the finished bird.
    Hi Krule! Thank you so much! That's very sweet of you to say.

I chuckled about the pigments. No, the first few pics look strange not because of the pic, but because of the pigments. It really does look like crap when I start applying them. In the very first pic, I haven't sealed the pigments with Dull Coat yet so you're basically looking at powder sitting on top of the wing - that's why it looks so odd. The second pic on down, they've been sealed but they are still pretty strong, and I just kept applying thin glazes and took photos as I progressed.

I've been working with pigments long enough that I generally have a good idea of what they are going to look like when I'm done. This is definitely a medium that has a seriously long ugly stage. When I first started out I was like - NO WAY! This is never going to work! I kept muddling through hoping that they'd turn the corner when I finished a layer. Nope. Okay maybe next layer....maybe....Until finally everything jibed. Yay! So those first few months got rather nerve-wracking at times to say the least. But I can't get too comfortable - no matter how much I work with pigments and think I have it figured out, many times they'll jump up and surprise me. Sometimes its a good surprise...other times not so much.

I think I saw a WIP thread you've got going somewhere around here. I'll see if I can go find it after I finish this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elric2k View Post
    There is only one thing I can say really. This is light years ahead the rest of your work I've seen. Not to say they werent all really good, thats just how great this look so far. I'm rooting for you!
    Hi Elric! Awww! Thank you, hun! I really appreciate that. Improvements to technique come in such fits and starts sometimes it seems like it will never happen. But I'm very glad its working right now. Let's see if it keeps going. Thank you again!

And I've been working again today so I'm in the middle of the other side of the wing. The bird's body has been prepped and is awaiting a bath and primer. I haven't attached the head yet though. I had a pretty big gap which I filled with green stuff and thought that took care of it. But after the primer coat and three basecoat layers, the filled gap suddenly wasn't filled any more. The GS was still there but it suddenly had a divot so I had to stop and fix that.

I also need to start prepping the rider.

So I will have more photos for y'all in a bit! Thank you again gang! I really appreciate the feedback!
    Last edited by kathrynloch; 06-30-2012 at 05:43 PM.

lol! Almost missed you two as y'all slipped past the door.

Quote Originally Posted by TomasP View Post
    looking really very nice so far... great stuff... keep it up
    Thank you Tomas - glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    Looks good kath, it will stand out amongst the more "ordinary" griffons in the display.

But it will need a killer base to put in the running for finals. Might want to start pondering and building that from the beginning to get the theme juuuust right.
    Thank you Mar! I hope he stands out. And excellent point about the base. Believe it or not I have been pondering as I work. With the dark bird, I was thinking maybe a bit of snow (and toss in a couple of my selenite crystals for ice like on the Tusk...huh? huh? Maybe? Maybe ) The light snow will help contrast with the darker bird but I also got another idea that I'm still kinda fleshing out and not sure about....so the snow may not work...as soon as I get a better handle on it, I'll post and see what y'all think.

Thank you again!!!!