New Here

Thread: New Here

Default New Here

Hey this is my first ever post on this site.. I just had a few questions and was also hoping to post a few pics for you guys to look at and maybe give me some feed back on my painting. First question was, if i upload an image, how long does it take to get into the gallery? I just would like to know because I was hoping for people to vote on my mini lol . Anyways... I guess that was really my only question ha. well here is the pic that I just posted on the gallery that I figure I will post here as well for some feedback, I hope you enjoy it.
    Name:  Rat ogre upload.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  359.9 KB

Please comment and as I have said when I posted it in my photos, I know its not based, i just would like some critique on my painting... thx

Stef.

Welcome! First thing I was going to bash you on was the base... but your last line nipped that in the bud, huh?

I think it's a pretty clean paint job. Nothing jumps out at me that screams "wrong" or "bad", but nothing that really jumps out as "wow" either. Don't take that the wrong way. You've got it painted to a bit higher than I can probably do.

As is, it'll probably score around the 5.5-6.0 range. I'd give it a 5 myself, for the lack of a nicely done base. I methodically take a full point down on what I'd score for lack of base detail, so you've got a 6 score from me on the paint itself.

As for the gallery picture time, it should be less than 24 hours. A mod just has to give it the once over and approve it. You can go ahead and post a link to it as it'll show up in your gallery. Not sure if any votes will count for it, but you can at least get that set.

EDIT: Oh, one thing I did notice. You've got the reddish irritation around the cuts and slices in his (her?) flesh. It probably would have been a small added detail to add that irritation around bolt/strap on the cone fist, if that's intended to be an attachment to it. Not sure about the model, and don't know what your thinking was on that.

EDIT2: And found another thing. In the third picture the fur on the back appears to have a fairly quick transition from the golden color to the brown color. It may just been the angle, but a bit more of a gradual transition there couldn't hurt.
    Last edited by PegaZus; 07-06-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Thx for the feedback. In reference to the transition to gold on the back, if you mean by the warp stones, the effect i was trying to achieve was to make it look like it was glowing under the skin as well and somewhat emitting a faint light through the fur. Im not sure if the picture is good enough to show the effect or not. Any and all types of feedback are welcome as well. Thx

Stef.

In my experience they tend to upload pics about once a day. So within 24 hours seems about right.
    As for a score, 5 sounds about right. A lot of people get upset when they get a 5, but I think they tend to forget that the scale starts at 1, and tabletop is 5. In order to get a 7+, it needs to be a solid display piece.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltch View Post
    Thx for the feedback. In reference to the transition to gold on the back, if you mean by the warp stones, the effect i was trying to achieve was to make it look like it was glowing under the skin as well and somewhat emitting a faint light through the fur. Im not sure if the picture is good enough to show the effect or not. Any and all types of feedback are welcome as well. Thx

Stef.
    The transition might be what I'm seeing. But if you look at the tip his ear, then go across the back horizontally, it appears golden on the bottom and dark brown on the top from that imaginary line. I did get that the stones were glowing in the fourth picture, so it may just be a small trick of the camera lens that's making things look off in the third.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006