Started the treatment...not impressed so far!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Started the treatment...not impressed so far!

Default Started the treatment...not impressed so far!

There are one or two people on here who know that, since Salute (April) I've been back and forward to hospital for tests for Prostate troubles (It kinda runs in my family, pun intended.)
    Symptoms, PSA tests(*), family history of both Prostate and Breast Cancer ticked all the boxes, so it came to me as no surprise that I tested positive for Prostate Cancer.
    The Biopsy (Flaming uncomfortable procedure, bicycle riding down cobbled streets afterwards NOT RECOMENDED!) proved that I had a type 2 Cancer, the Bone and MRI scans show that its not all that big (Oi It's The Cancer I'm talking about here!).

So I'm into the second full week of testosterone inhibitor, 3 months treatment, before going for radiotheraphy around October. (Glow in the dark nadgers, lovely!).

However I'm having a side effect which is 'uncommon', sleeping normal length of time (21:00 - 04:45) but dreaming constantly and violently.
    So much so that I'm still bone tired when I wake up and by the end of the day I feel exhausted.
    In fact I looked and felt so rough yesterday I got sent home by my senior manager and crashed out on the couch for 3 hours and still struggled to stay awake later on.
    I'm having the rest of this week off just to try to relax and rest.

Don't worry I'm still gonna be around and as always my skewed sense of humour is gonna come in handy, cos diginity flew out of the window quite a few weeks ago.

So gentlemen in the 45-55 age range, grit your teeth, say goodbye to your dignity and get tested and hope your male nurse isn't a Butch Rugby player.

(*The PSA blood tests aren't guarenteed 100% accurate, as running and cycling can push it up, but a normal one should be around 5ppm+/-. Mine came in at 33.5, 31.7, & 36.5ppm, hence why I wasn't surprised.
    Oh and something I didn't know until this lot, Breast Cancer in the family (paternal side mainly) is strongly linked to Prostate Cancer).
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 07-12-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Hope things work out, DR. I'd be most worried about the dreams tho. Sure sign of Warp Corruption. You may need to be purified.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

*hugs*

I'm here if you need me. Even if it's to wipe the drool off your pillow.
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.

So sorry to hear about this, Mike. I hope the radiotherapy and other treatments do the trick. Don't know what else to say really.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Just your manly body fighting the reduction in testosterone.... (like I know what I'm talking about).

Praying for ya.

Lost my wife's Uncle that way. Found out way too late.
    Lots of new treatments in that area. Radiation seeds, cryo, etc. Do some research ask the Dr. lots of questions.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

bad news there DR hope you get well soon and that the radio therapy's not too hard on you, as for your sleep loss its probably stress which in your condition is understandable take it easy anyway and know that theres a heck of a lot of folks here thinking of you. Phil
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Get the radiactive seed implants and go through the metal detectors at the airport. Priceless.....
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Uncle Mike! Please make sure you rest and get better! Sending positive thoughts and big smiles your way!!
    "A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise." - Aldo Leopold

Glad they caught it early and that you appear to be keeping your chin up.

Keep fighting mate and take it easy!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Luna View Post
    Consider yourself quoted!

So sorry you have to go through this Mike. I had a friend who went through the same thing and actually had his prostate removed. And you're right about the test because his PSA is still elevated - which is impossible without a prostate. But hang in there.

One question since your reaction is uncommon, have you talked to your doc about trying a different brand of medication? Sometimes reactions aren't to the general type of meds but a specific make. For example, I'm allergic to Amoxicillin but only that brand. Generic stuff, I'm just fine. Anyway, it might be worth a shot. Good luck sending prayers and positive thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.

Really sorry to hear that, DR. I can't say as I know you well, but in the past few years since I joined this forum you've always been super helpful and come across as a really genuine, decent guy. Modern science is a wonderful thing, and by the sounds of things you've caught this pretty early on. Folks can and do make full recoveries from conditions like this, and you strike me as exactly the right kind of guy to make a fight of it. Keep the chin up, and please let us a know how you're getting on as and when you're so inclined.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Hope you get better. A change of diet can do amazing things, read up on it. My mum had cancer, and my father did a load of research into how best to prevent it, and one thing that came up was diet, not sure of the exact details but I'm sure if you google it you'll find out, any way of improving the body is better than doing nothing, it may help with the medicine coping too.

Either way, get better and take care! Shout if you need anything and I'm sure people here will try to help out =)
    " This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!! " - Supervike

My Website - http://www.miniature-studio.com/

Best wishes to you!

Sorry to hear you got this, mate. At least it got noticed early. Prognosis should be god. Just hang in there. Maybe a new load of shiny toys will make you feel better?

it very fortunate that you caught it pretty early on, which is crucial. still sounds like you still have a rough fight ahead, so stay strong. im sure the community would be more than happy to support one of their pillars for a bit, so if you need anything, don't hesitate...

Thanks everyone.

Well alledgely this is a temporary side effect, not helped by the fact that I've a touch of sinusitis which is making my sleep Apnea worse.
    (OK everything at once, thank you very much!)
    I can't change medicine mid stream as it's a sub-cutaneuos implant, this one for 4 weeks and the next for 12 weeks.
    (But why do nurses put a dressing the size of alaska on your stomach for a small puncture wound? Taking the damn thing off well this says it all:-

I feel a bit silly as I actually don't feel ill, but I've been warned that is due in October/November with the radio therapy, which I'm told is like a heavy sunburn with possible blistering.
    But before that I get a minor op were they go in and give me a Blast of radiation on either side of the gland, this will be under general anesthetic, thank goodness.
    So not only will I have a "JOHN WAYNE" walk for a few weeks but the radiotherapy acts like electrolosis so I'm gonna be sans Hair below the plimsole line.

The Grain of Rice thing you're talking about Kevin apparently isn't often used in the UK unless it's a Type 3. But since I'm a type 2 this should be "easily" dealt with.
    At least me sense of humour hasn't failed
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

> At least me sense of humour hasn't failed

Keep that humour up! I will help you to recover.
    All the best,

Egrimm

Sorry to hear this mate. I realy do hope that you are gonna be ok, right platitudes time ....today's medicine and the state of play of treatment are all in your favour.

Keep up the old chin.

You want a natter any time pm me.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Shit news mate, stay focused.

Lee
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Wishing you all the best Mike - PM me your postal address and I'll get something in the post to help you get better.