First NMM try

Thread: First NMM try

Default First NMM try

I I have been reading around and trying to better my painting skills, so the other night I decided to give NMM a try and here are the results... The cleaver isn't finished yet I just wanted to know if I was doing it right or not... please give me some feed back and let me know if I'm going in the right direction or what other steps I could take to make it better, thx.
    Name:  nmm.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  1.77 MB

Until it's finished it's hard to give feedback since a lot of what makes some NMM can be in the final touches - final lights and darks for full contrast, specular highlights.

One thing I can say is that you've avoided one common trap where people don't go dark enough, just need to follow through with the lights too. Some people don't really do speculars when they paint NMM and they can kill the thing if done poorly but I think you should aim to have at least one or two every time you paint something this way; even if they're subdued speculars they can be the thing that sells the impression of metal.

Einion

Thx for the feed back, when I said it wasn't finished what i meant was that the rest of the cleaver didn't have paint on it, just this side... I wanted to get one side right before moving to the next. And in terms of speculars, any advice on where a good location would be for them? All feedback and comments is welcome, thx.

I tend to keep either photos or actual metal objects around to help me with this. It's nice to have a reference to see how the light reacts.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.