Do you have an accent?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have an accent?

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Default Do you have an accent?

With Roger being British (East midlands) and me American (California by way of Wisconsin) There are times when we have a hard time understanding each other. A classic example of this was one day when we were on MSN video chat together going over Facebook and Yahoo news and this conversation happened;

Roger: They have a 250,000 pound Armadillo

Me: What?

Roger: A 250,000 pound Armadillo

Me: Ok....It must be pre-historic

Roger: What are you on about woman?

Me: Armadillo's don't grow that big now. If it was 250,000 pounds it MUST have been prehistoric

Roger: A 250,000 ARMORED LIMO! That's how much it costs!

So this got me wondering.....What do YOU sound like? I sound like an American News Anchor. Very generic but for some reason everyone in the UK expects me to sound all southern.

Roger can get me going by just say anything with a long "U" sound in it. Says "up" as "oop". I find that really sexy for some reason. I know that in England you can go as little as 20 miles down the road and everyone has a different accent from you.

So what do YOU sound like?
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.

Generic English with a tint of Welsh. To the Welsh I sound very English. The English always pick up on the Welsh though
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I dont have an accent of any kind..its you lot sound weird.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Same... You funny speaking weirdos.

Never thought I had an accent, but I met with a manager from northern California and he placed my childhood city within 200 miles. Either he's a sneaky little git who knows how to use Google or I give myself away.

Oklahoma panhandle in case you're curious. And I still don't think I have an accent.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    I dont have an accent of any kind..its you lot sound weird.
    S'truth.

No one thinks they have an accent, though in truth everyone does. Or something like that.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

The existance of my accent depends on who I am speaking with. Some say I am very neutral and should do voiceover work, crystella says I have an accent. So I do not know who to believe.

But Tryst is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    The existance of my accent depends on who I am speaking with. Some say I am very neutral and should do voiceover work, crystella says I have an accent. So I do not know who to believe.

But Tryst is correct.
    You have an accent hun. I know I have one. Its a posh mancuian accent so in Manchester its not as noticeable but you can tell I have one and I like it Lizcam when we meet up (its going to happen) its going to be awesome trying to understand each other.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crystella333 View Post
    You have an accent hun. I know I have one. Its a posh mancuian accent so in Manchester its not as noticeable but you can tell I have one and I like it Lizcam when we meet up (its going to happen) its going to be awesome trying to understand each other.

I will get back to another convention in England. It's just a matter of time.
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.

I don't have an accent, I'm a Londoner. We are, after all, the standard the rest of the world is measured against.

I heard myself on a dictaphone earlier today. Gah, I really don't like my voice. Sounds like a bubbly Adam Ant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmypops View Post
    I don't have an accent, I'm a Londoner. We are, after all, the standard the rest of the world is measured against.

I heard myself on a dictaphone earlier today. Gah, I really don't like my voice. Sounds like a bubbly Adam Ant.
    Sometimes I wish this place had a like button.

Accent varies depending on who I talk to. Having lived in Scotland, England, the US, Singapore, and Australia, I find myself having a terrible agglomeration of accents from all over. I'll say "three" with a thick Glaswegian brogue, and then the next words out of my mouth will be with the fakest, horrible-st Southern twang you ever heard, then go back to the Singaporean patois.

I've also had the misfortune of hearing myself over the PA and on a recording. Gawd, I sound nasal. Ugh.

Sounds French mixed German accent... sometimes difficult in China to make myself understood. Luckily my Chinese is improving, but the accent remains!

One of my mates spoke French with a really thick Glaswegian brogue. Made for some interesting lessons in class.

Blog Entries

Years ago (before I came to JPN) I would have sounded exactly like Roger (I'm from Chesterfield also), but since I've been in Japan my accent has completely disappeared since I make (made?) a conscious effort to speak clearly so other Japanese people could understand me (when I was a teacher).. I think also learning another language change my accent too.

Quote Originally Posted by crystella333 View Post
    I know I have one. Its a posh mancuian accent.
    Crystella pet, there's no such thing as a posh manc accent.

I do have an accent as I'm a Geordie (Newcastle upon Tyne). However 20+ years of working amongst Lancashire, Blackpool and Liverpool means that its far diluted from the Geordie norm. In fact I cringe when I go back north and hear some people.
    Oh and a pet hate. I loathe and detest people trying to fake a geordie accent.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I'm a bit like Arma - I used to have a pretty strong Glasgow accent, but since moving to Japan 8 years ago my accent has diminished to the point where I'm comprehensible to most folks. Any time I go back to Glasgow, though, the accent comes back with a vengeance.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Skells, I think we had all assumed that.

I sound...Canadian? But not like an inbred lumberjack/cowboy, like a normal city dweller in Ontario.