Thread: spawning zombies in closed buildings

Default spawning zombies in closed buildings

we had our first game of zombicide yesterday
    did the grindhouse scenario. but we had a question, the map starts with zombie spanws in closed buildings. do we activate these spawns on teh zombies turn even tho no one has opened the door, or do they stay dormant untilthe door is opened?

and if we do spawn them inside do they move towards noise on their turns even if the noise is outside the building and the doors are closed? and just pile up at the door?

also if theres a 3 noise zone one away from a zombie, then all the way across the map theres 4 noise token zone do they go to the 4?

other thoughts on our first play thru, range weps seemed weak with the not being able to shoot into a block with a survivor, i think we are going to modify our rule where you can shoot in, but if you roll a 1 you hit a survivor, and if you roll a 6 you can pick target.

think we are also doing a house rule where 5 zombies can break downa door. maybe swithc htis to 10 after a play thru or 2

Thanks

I would assume that you spawn zombies and that the zombies would move around, in general just piling up at a door, but I could see playing it either way. Don't forget that while there are some zombies spawning in there, you'd still spawn the building upon opening the door, too. And, yes, if there is a 4 noise and a 3 noise, and no humans n line of sight, the zombies will go to the larger noise. Distance is unimportant.

Ranged weapons are quite good, but require a lot of finesse, since firing into a melee is supposed to be horrible for the survivors. They are potentially weaker, but you have less fear of getting eaten due to bad dice rolls (for example, I've seen 8 dice, 50% chance to hit, only kill 3 of the 4 zombies in melee. That made for a dead survivor) so that's supposed to be the trade off. Your house rule for ranged weapons makes friendly fire extremely less dangerous, and thus the game a lot easier, but if you find it more fun, have at it.

Zombies knocking down doors is one of the things I've considered lately. I think the idea is that all the closed doors have stood that way against zombies for a while, so it makes sense that they can't be opened, but.... *shrug* That scenario is probably the only one where zombies are behind doors with no way out, so it is normally not an issue.
    Dood!

The 'semi official' (apparently it came direct from Guillotine Games, but I only have some person on the internet's word for that) line on this is:

Quote Originally Posted by Loophole Master on BGG
    I've talked about this issue with the game designers, unfortunately it was not addressed in the rules, but I'm sure it will be included in their next publication. Anyway, this is how to handle it:

If you have a Spawn zone inside a completely locked building, spawn zombies normally, and when they are activated, they move towards the noisiest zone normally, as if all doors on the building were opened. However, when they reach a locked door, they can go no further.
    See: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9809154#9809154

And, my assumption is that this works the same the other way round too (e.g. in Scenario 01, if the survivors spend X turns remaining in the starting building, searching for weapons, say, and don't open either of the doors, then any Zombies that are spawned during those X turns will move towards the building (because that is the noisiest zone), as if both doors were open, but would then stop just outside the locked doors).
    In memoriam - the Tearful 107, May 6th 2012

(banner by Joshua "Cornbread" Harris (AKA: Skittlebrau))

Lots of people don't like the idea of guns hitting survivors first automatically, and I agree there should be some chance of hitting a different target. It will be interesting how the balance of the game works out as more people play it. If its more balanced to hit survivors first, thats probably the best way to play. But I'll definitely be considering a house rule of randomizing the target, or only misses hitting survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by strewart View Post
    Lots of people don't like the idea of guns hitting survivors first automatically, and I agree there should be some chance of hitting a different target. It will be interesting how the balance of the game works out as more people play it. If its more balanced to hit survivors first, thats probably the best way to play. But I'll definitely be considering a house rule of randomizing the target, or only misses hitting survivors.
    I didn't really like it at first, but then I realized what the rule is intended to do; to keep your group together and give you that "herd among a horde" feel, and by the second game I didn't mind it at all. If you let Survivors aim at targets without hitting other Survivors, the group breaks up faster. It also cheapens the power of traits like "Sniper" and "Ninja", abilities that let one or two people operate as lone wolves and zombie distractions. It also makes melee weapons next to worthless, making heroes like El Cholo and ( the upcoming ) Eva less desirable, and traits like "Lucky" super powerful. Two sawed-offs and Lucky would pretty much mean you can chew through any size group of zombies surrounding your buddies without ever hitting them.

Ultimately I actually found that the "Sniper" trait was not as good as I thought, because we ended up dealing with most zombies before they ever entered "unwanted" melee combat with us. Any and all melee combat sessions, due to careful strategy, were started by us - El Cholo's machete's are hungry!

Ah, but having a sniper is oh-so necessary when the dice decide to hate your poor melee fighter. I've seen 8 dice get rolled, needing a 3+, and only getting 2 hits. When that happens, having the extra help is very nice. But, really, that's the meat of the game: different scenarios call for different tactics and perks. Sometimes slippery is unimportant, with all the zombies being handily dispatched at range, or kited off elsewhere safely. Other times bad stuff happens, and it is the only way a character can survive. Helps replay, and certainly makes me happy!
    Dood!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    The 'semi official' (apparently it came direct from Guillotine Games, but I only have some person on the internet's word for that) line on this is:

See: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9809154#9809154

And, my assumption is that this works the same the other way round too (e.g. in Scenario 01, if the survivors spend X turns remaining in the starting building, searching for weapons, say, and don't open either of the doors, then any Zombies that are spawned during those X turns will move towards the building (because that is the noisiest zone), as if both doors were open, but would then stop just outside the locked doors).
    This is addressed in the rules... Page 12, Section 7 Zombies' Phase. it is the 4th bullet under the header Move:
    "- If they can’t see anybody and there are no open paths to the Survivors, they move toward the noisiest Zone as if all doors were open, though locked doors still stop them."
    Last edited by Jeremyth; 08-28-2017 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Fixed spacing in the quoted rule. It didn't copy spacing at line returns..
    House rule number 1: There shall be no additional house rules!*
    *rules subject to change without notice.