FORGEWORLD Chaos Dragon WIP

Thread: FORGEWORLD Chaos Dragon WIP

Newbie, please be gentle Legion117's Avatar

Default FORGEWORLD Chaos Dragon WIP

The setting: So I just got a great deal on the chaos dragon from forge world and it should be here any day now. Also I am in the Navy and will be leaving for deployment next week and I would really like to paint this dragon while I am gone. I have my own workshop so space is really not as much of an issue as you might expect. I have some ideas about what I would like to do but I would also like to hear some idea's from you guys. I'd like to hear your ideas on everything from the base to the theme and color scheme. My idea is to break away from the chaos gods theme and maybe do something more elemental like fire/Ice ect. I also thought using the chameleon paint they use on cars for the outer skin but i dont know if i will be able to get the model smooth enough for the effect to work properly. How would you paint it if it was your model?

Quote Originally Posted by Legion117 View Post
    I also thought using the chameleon paint they use on cars for the outer skin but i dont know if i will be able to get the model smooth enough for the effect to work properly. Well from the experience of examining one of these Dragons before it went back to Forgeworld for exchange, stock up on greenstuff, milliput prosculpt whatever... as I saw lots of air bubble pitting. Also stock up on pinning materials as some of the joins needed serious pinning and filling.
    How would you paint it if it was your model?
    Avoid black primer use an automotive grey.
    Also consider sectional construction ie build and fit the wings in a manner so that you can separate them to paint. (less weight to hold)
    I've seen this done once by pinning and filling the joint against clingfilm (Ceranwrap?). The resultant fit was so close that it was difficult to see unless searched for with a torch and magnifier.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

that all seems like great information, especially since i'm pretty new to resin models. I've been doing research and I think I have a pretty good idea about the prep. I don't know what you mean about filling the joint against cling film but i am very curious, can you describe that a little more. Also the base i bought is 11cm x 11cm do you think that will be big enough?

Blog Entries

The cling wrap serves as a barrier between the two resin parts, so the filler only adheres to one part. Put cling wrap over the joint, fit the parts then fill the gap with your choice of filler. Once the filler dries, separate the parts, remove the cling wrap and your parts should fit with hardly a gap.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

that is a great idea! I will definitely give that a shot. thanks for the pointer. The box should be coming tomorrow so I'll post box opening pictures