+1 Die skill question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: +1 Die skill question

Default +1 Die skill question

So, in playing last week I had Doug, who graced the board in splendor with his paired sawed-off shotguns. At Orange I gave him the +1 die skill, since I liked the idea of 6 3+ dice being thrown for every shot. But looking at the rules today, the skill only says "The Survivor rolls an extra die in Combat" which almost sounds like +1 die per action, not per weapon. Has anyone been playing by +1 per action, or is it just +1 per weapon? I believe the character introductions on the blog had something that made me think it was +1 per weapon previously. Maybe I'm just missing something in the rulebook?

For now I like the idea of it being per weapon, and will stick to that until told otherwise.
    Dood!

When you spend 1 action for a combat and you are wielding duel weapons (or have the Ambidextrous skill), both of those attacks count to get the +1 roll.

That's how I've played and what I thought, but I can't find where that's actually written down.
    Dood!

That's the way I read it too, could use some clarification on this one.

pg 15 of the rulebook:
    +1 to dice roll: Combat/Melee/Ranged: The Survivor adds 1 to the result of each die he rolls in Combat/Melee/Ranged.
    +1 die: Combat/Melee/Ranged: The Survivor rolls 1 extra die in Combat/Melee/Ranged.

So If you give him the +1 dice Roll: Ranged, roll 2 die 1 for each pistol, you add 1 to each die rolled.

But, If you give him the +1 die: Ranged, then that is 1 extra die in Ranged combat. so if he is shooting 2 pistols, then you roll 3 dice. 1 for each pistol and one the the +1 die: Ranged

Because Ranged is an action and you use all Ranged attacks at once as long as you have duel weapons or Ambidextrous.

And yet how have people (including myself) come up with the idea that "+1 die" is per weapon? I'm mostly just curious at this point.

Also, with that re-reading, "+1 die" is rarely going to be worth taking. It is often paired against a stronger skill in orange/red level, such as +1 action (often combat, but any action is probably better) that makes only getting a single extra die rather puny. Maybe for those one-die weapons that are not dual wielded. I'll just have to think on it some more, I suppose...
    Dood!

I've always interpreted it as increasing the weapon's die rating by +1 die, so dual weapons would get the bonus twice.

Hmm...

I read it as +1 die per weapon, but, now I re-read it, I think it's +1 die per action.
    In memoriam - the Tearful 107, May 6th 2012

(banner by Joshua "Cornbread" Harris (AKA: Skittlebrau))

I read it also as +1 die...ever so dual pistols would be 3 dice per action. Sadly I was severely out numbered

Some skills are probably a little on the puny side but we haven't seen everything yet. There may be an expansion or something that opens this up more.

who knows. I do agree right now that +1 to dice is far and away better.

The more I read this rule, the more I would have to agree that you only get one die when dual wielding. It makes sense if you think about it from a snap fire/ concentrated fire standpoint. You get the same rate of fire as two weapons firing independently but since this happens simultaneously it only costs one Action. However, when it comes to accuracy it would only make sense that if your firing quickly and at the same time that your skilled abilities to hit would diminish. I think this is represented by forcing you choose between dual wield and single wielding. So if you want to increase your chances of hitting your target and maximizing your ranged fire skills. Firing one pistol in 2 actions will give you 4D6 chance, a more aimed shot. Conversely ,Firing rapidly with 2 weapons simultaneously only yields 3D6, a less aimed shot and only requires on Action.
    So, I'm going to have to change the way I've been playing this for sure. All said, I'd like to see a clarification from the designer. As I poured through the designer notes they never state exactly how many dice with the character descriptions, just that they get 1 more die per Combat/Ranged/Melee action. Furthering my above beliefs/interpretations!! Damn it.

I agree. +1 die to the entire action, not each weapon.

The new Zombicide companion app seems to answer this question (sweet app by the way). When I programmed Ned with the +1 dice for for ranged weapons with dual sub machine guns, one side had 4 rolls and the other had 3 rolls. So one extra die for the action, not each weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brents View Post
    The new Zombicide companion app seems to answer this question (sweet app by the way). When I programmed Ned with the +1 dice for for ranged weapons with dual sub machine guns, one side had 4 rolls and the other had 3 rolls. So one extra die for the action, not each weapon.
    Man, I was hoping I'd be wrong on that one :P

The new Zombicide companion app
    Can the app answer another question - that is, what happens if survivor A shoots survivor B with a 2 damage ranged weapon (e.g. shotgun) - does survivor B suffer 1 wound or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Can the app answer another question - that is, what happens if survivor A shoots survivor B with a 2 damage ranged weapon (e.g. shotgun) - does survivor B suffer 1 wound or two?
    My guess is 2 wounds, but good question nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by Shoogoo View Post
    My guess is 2 wounds, but good question nonetheless
    Yeah, it's caused quite a debate over on BoardGameGeek - I say 1 wound, others say 2 - hopefully the App can tell us I'm right! :P

I do not believe the app will answer your question as you tell it when you have been wounded.

Scorpion0x17, why do you think it is a single wound? For the record I think it is two as it takes out a fattie with the same resiliency.
    Last edited by Niranth; 09-13-2012 at 07:02 AM.
    Member of the Kathryn Loch painting fanclub

I was worried that was the case.
    Does it not have a thing where you tell it what you've shot, though?
    Or does that only deal with shooting Zombies?

You only "mark" your zombie kills and it tallies your experience.

The other thing I learned is that even though the custom dice are "backwards", they did intend for the zombie face to be a 1 and Molotov to be a 6. There is an in-app dice rolling function that tells you how many zombies you killed and the zombie face records 0 kills while the Molotov records one.

The other thing I learned is that even though the custom dice are "backwards", they did intend for the zombie face to be a 1 and Molotov to be a 6.
    They're not 'backwards', they're left-handed!