Best fantasy miniature ranges out there?

Thread: Best fantasy miniature ranges out there?

Default Best fantasy miniature ranges out there?

Hi everyone

Im looking to get some suggestions and opinions on the nicest looking fantasy miniature ranges out there. The main reason is that I loved Confrontation minis...Rakham's sculpts were amazing, the studio color schemes were unique, the flavor of the models was new...but of course they went the way of the Dodo. I have a decent collection of Confrontation minis now but after a year of playing the game I've come to realize two things: one, their sculpts aren't the only nice ones out there, and two, I can't stand the actual game itself. As someone who plays a lot of board and miniature games, what I'd really like is a more straightforward fantasy skirmish ruleset. I think I've found one with Song of Blades and Heroes, but now I need some minis to go along with it. Yes, I could just use my confrontation minis, but I'm a bit tired of the style and want to buy something new hehe.

So, can anyone suggest some really nicely sculpted, unique (emphasis on unique)-styled fantasy miniatures? Since I'd like to buy enough to play a small skirmish game, a 'decent range' is a must. IE, although I like a lot of Dark Sword minis, they don't have many that really go together visually...they're one-off art pieces, not armies or 'factions'. And quality obviously is important to me. I love the look and quality of Mierce, Kingdom Death, Wrath of Kings, and Studio McVey minis...but the first is way too pricey, the second too hard to come by (lol excuse the pun), Wrath is a bit too much 'its own thing' (ironic that they're Rakham-styled...), and Studio McVey likewise is a collection of one-offs.

And GW is a no.

lol so, anybody help a brother along the dark path to collecting a new line of figures?

Red Box Games could be worth a look. A distinctive style and a good size number of minis.

Dark Sword have a lot. Many inspired by TSR art, and the Game of Thrones range is as big as it is pretty.

The triumvirate of Heresy/Hasslefree/BlackScorpion have some pretties. Not as wide a range as you might be after but each company has minis that are the best of certain types.

A list wouldn't be complete without Reaper. The design quality is haphazard, but they have such a massive range it's not unlikely you'll find some that make you go "ooh".

If you could be swayed towards steam-punk then a look at Infamy Miniatures would be a must. Simply some of the best minis ever conceived, designed and made.

Got to give a shout out to Mierce Miniatures and Guild Ball.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Thanks guys!

So my thoughts, just in response:

Hasslefree has some neat minis, but they're all unique characters. Plus the style seems a bit haphazard...nothing I could build a cohesive 'force' out of.
    Black Scorpion seems to be mostly fantasy ball minis
    Heresy has some nice sculpts and I like their fantasy style, but there doesn't seem to be enough figures for me to make 2 full 'factions'.
    Red Box is indeed pretty cool. The problem is I really only like their Infernals faction haha. The others are too 'realistic historical' for my taste But quite amazing quality and good sculpts. I might pick some of these up.
    Dark Sword does have a few cool minis...I'm a big fan of Thief of Hearts #5 and the Guardian Naga sculpts...but the others are too simplistic for my taste.
    Last edited by Stargorger; 12-30-2015 at 02:33 PM.

You obviously need to check out Corvus Corax Miniatures (shameless plug). Otherwise, maybe Norsgard could be interesting?

Actually I really do like your sculpts! Very nice. Just not enough for me to make armies out of But Ill bookmark your page for the years to come as you expand into a miniature superpower, deal?

Norsgard was actually one of the first I looked at. My main 'meh' factor is that there aren't a huge variety of units and they're not quite as pretty as I'd like. I guess I should say, I don't just mean 'well-sculpted', but also 'artistic'. It's the difference, in my mind, between these two sculpts by Dark Sword.
    http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/s...ith-staff.html
    http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/s...ian-queen.html

Both are well sculpted...but the first is much more visually interesting IMO. The depth and various layers of the wings, hair, and layers of clothing, however skimpy, is a lot more visually attractive than the likewise well-sculpted but very 'flat' barbarian queen. Nice face, nice muscles, yes yes yes. But, to me it looks like a 2d drawing. There's very little motion, very little interest. I find most of the Norsgard line are similar (in contrast to yours, which are quite kinetic

maybe check out figone. They carry a smattering of a nice range of minis.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Stargorger View Post
    Thanks guys!

So my thoughts, just in response:

Hasslefree has some neat minis, but they're all unique characters. Plus the style seems a bit haphazard...nothing I could build a cohesive 'force' out of.
    Black Scorpion seems to be mostly fantasy ball minis
    Heresy has some nice sculpts and I like their fantasy style, but there doesn't seem to be enough figures for me to make 2 full 'factions'.
    Red Box is indeed pretty cool. The problem is I really only like their Infernals faction haha. The others are too 'realistic historical' for my taste But quite amazing quality and good sculpts. I might pick some of these up.
    Dark Sword does have a few cool minis...I'm a big fan of Thief of Hearts #5 and the Guardian Naga sculpts...but the others are too simplistic for my taste.
    Hmmm...your taste in mini is pretty much spot on with mine, based on your descriptions of what you like and do not like. Not a gamer myself, but simply because of the fluff and the sculpts I have considered building an army of Mierce. Besides this endeavor taking about 2 years to complete since I refuse to paint anything TT standard, I also cannot find anyone near me that plays (just a quick note, I prefer games that are as in depth and complicated as possible). Shame, so many top of the line artists are sculpting for Mierce. The owner really does pay for the best, and at least one sculptor used to work with Rackham--Stephen Simon.

One company I haven't heard mentioned is Scibor. You would at least me covered with dwarves and ogres and I think a couple other races. Not complete by any means but really high quality pieces. Maybe too expensive for ya, but I have purchased some of their base display pieces and the quality is really nice.

Also, Avatars of War is a very complete range of cheap and available minis that follow closely the WHFB 8th Ed factions. I think they are nice sculpts artistically speaking.

I think thats it, as far as companies that fit your requirements.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Also I think that Dark Sword minis are absolutely horrible. Saddens me that the Game of Thrones line went to this company. Not a fan of McVey minis, either.

If you really want top of the line fantasy, best of the best despite the cost, it's Andrea's range of fantasy. Between the elf on raptor (which I just assembled today and cost me $140) and the female on horseback, these are among the best sculpts in the biz. Believe Freeman sculpted these, btw.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Also how could i forget raging heroes. nice fantasy line there. good luck squinting your way through their petite stature though. 28mm my butt -_-
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

^Have wanted to paint the Raging Heroes Manticore, but with Lamassu head for some time now. Also would drastically change the rider, preferably into a chaos dwarf because everyone knows their mount of choice is the lamassu.

The challenge is finding a single range with everything you want. If you don't want to cross purchase, though, I'd say it's Avatars of War and Mierce.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    The challenge is finding a single range with everything you want. If you don't want to cross purchase, though, I'd say it's Avatars of War and Mierce.
    Avatars of War, while some really nice miniatures, have a really poor customer service. They still have an entire IndieGoGo campaign to fulfill from 2012, and they basically have said "screw you, backers". :/ I wouldn't buy anything form the website directly, but from another independent retailer if so.

Did not know this. Ouch. Although I have found what goes for IG and KS backers isn't always true for traditional customers. IOW, the most loyal, hard core fans get screwed..

If you are looking solely for Sword & Sorcery Fantasy try looking at Frostgrave or Bushido both small skirmish games.
    If you want to stretch towards Steampunk then Malifaux, Empire of the Dead, In Her Majesties Name or Wolsung.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Thanks guys!

Actually Frostgrave is what peaked my interest but I cant stand their style/sculpts. Bushido is cool but too Asian for what I'm looking for at the moment (already got Infinity for my anime-style needs
    And yeah no Steampunk.

Raging Heroes is pretty but you're right, bit of an odd scale.

I might just have to make my own! lol