Hod's Space Boars WIP (Space Wolves made from Tir-Na-Bor Dwarfs)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hod's Space Boars WIP (Space Wolves made from Tir-Na-Bor Dwarfs)

Default Hod's Space Boars WIP (Space Wolves made from Tir-Na-Bor Dwarfs)

I've been thinking for awhile about getting a 40K army going with my unpainted Rackham Confrontation Tir-Na-Bor dwarfs. I Just recently decided that it was about time that I stopped thinking and just took the leap.

This WIP is my way of saying to myself, "now you have to."

The idea behind the army is a Space Wolves army but instead of the GW minis for them I am going to use all Tir-Na-Bor dwarfs. So it will play exactly like a Space Wolves army, just with different minis.

Below is how I see the Tir-Na-Bor minis being broken up into their Space Wolves Unit equivalents.

Troops
    Grey Hunters

Elites
    Wolf Guard

Dreadnought

Wolf Scouts

Wolf Scout Snipers

Heavy Support
    Long Fangs

Tanks

I have been giving the color scheme a lot of thought and have decided on Blue and Orange. I am a huge Chicago Bears fan and have always wanted to do a Bears theme. I am thinking about making them look a lot like the Crimson Fists, with Dark Blue but instead of Red use Orange. Below is a quick mock up of what I'm thinking. Tell me what you think.

In terms of fluff I'm not too familiar with Space Marine lore but what I have so far for this army is that they were some Squats that in pre-Heresey time were genetically altered like Space Marines to make a larger and strong race of Space Marine Squats. If anyone has some better ideas I'd love to hear them. I need to read up more on Space Marines and the Imperium to make sure that would work.

I have decided not to go with the Demiurg because then I wouldn't be able to make a Space Marine Chapter out of them and they'd need a bunch of Ion Cannons.

The final issue I am running into has to do with the weapons. Space wolves come equipped with power weapons which all of my guys have. The issue is how to put the guns on them. I am going to try to put them in their hand, strap them on backs, attached them to wrists (like terminators) but I know some of those options aren't even going to be possible on some of them, so my last resort is putting the gun on the ground in front of them. I was wondering if anyone has an experience putting guns on minis that aren't conducive to them?

That's all I got for now, but hopefully there will be some actual WIP pictures soon.
    Last edited by HodRod; 07-09-2014 at 11:17 PM.

First up, I reckon this is a great idea. Yes, there are some issues with fluff (which I'll go into in a moment) but the concept is sweet

Basically, according to the fluff, squats cannot possibly be Space Marines. The process by which Space Marines are created has been extensively documented, and one of the key steps is finding healthy, fit, genetically pure young men to go through the various organ transplants and training required to make a Marine. Any deviation from the human norm would result in organ rejection and (a probably unpleasant) death. As well as that, the Imperium barely tolerates Ratlings and Ogryns, whereas Space Marines are nigh on venerated. It would go against all established Imperial theology to have an abhuman Space Marine. (I appreciate that Blood Angels and Salamanders and whatnot do actually carry minor mutations, but these are induced by the geneseed, and even then they tend to be kept under wraps.)

So, according to the established fluff, there's no way you can do stunty marines.

So, tear up the fluff if you want to have stunty marines, then go for it. It's your army, and you shouldn't feel compelled to stick with what GW says. Rules-wise, as long as you stick to the Space Wolves dex then your army will play exactly like space wolves. As long as your opponent is clear what unit is what, you can pretty much do what you like

Good luck, and be sure to post WIP pics, please
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

So I’ve given my Space Boar lore some more thought and done some research and have decided that they have nothing to do with Space Marines but are rather a genetic off shoot of the Squats.

During the Great Crusade when the Squat home worlds were being rediscovered, the planet of Chigagan went unnoticed due to their subterranean cities. They remained oblivious to the universe through the Golden Age of the Imperium and the Horus Heresy. It was until the year 103.M39 that their planet of Chigagan was rediscovered by a small fleet of Squat Miners looking for a new planet to excavate.
    At first the Squats didn’t recognize them as their own kin for the Squats of Chigagan had grown much larger and stronger than normal squats during their millennium of isolation. They also discovered that they mined a special type of fuel from the core of their planet that burned extremely hot for a long time off only a small amount. The burning of this miraculous fuel system had allowed them to create advance weapons and suits of armour powered by the steam it created.

The Squats begin to secretly trade with the inhabitants of Chigagan. In return for the precious fuel, the squats gave them weapons for knew that it was only a matter of time until others came looking for the super fuel.

The Chigagans took to the new technology quickly due to their advance experience with steam power. Within a short period of time they had advanced to a level where they too where taking to the stars in Space Ships to expand their wealth. Due to their affirmative to ride boars into battle they became know around the universe as the Space Boars.

Here is a quick image of the un-primed first edition to the Space Boars.

Here he is with the first coat of paint on most of him (minus the sword and gun). Still need some inspiration for the plasma gun, it is my first gun ever.
    I got to really love the Bears to do this color scheme... good thing I do.

So here is my first finished Space Boar. I am fairly happy with how he turned out. I'm having a hard time with Chicago Bears blue, it's a strange color in terms of how it accepts light.

I have two more primed up and ready to go so hopefully there will be more soon.

So I have the first three Boar Hunters ("Grey Hunters") done. I like how they tuned out.

I figured out that Chicago Bears Blue is achieved the best through a base of dark royal blue and then brought up to it's highlight using a grey instead of a light blue. The guy with the plasma gun was highlighted with the light blue while the other two were highlighted with castle grey. The swords were my first attempt at such a wild weapon color (if gold doesn't fall into the category) I am fairly pleased with the results. I hate putting down the white highlights after I have it all done so I actually did the white fist and then used all of my subsequent layers to clean up the lines. I think for me this is the write order but I still need to refine how it's done (I got a whole army left to practice on).

For their shoulder pads I took inspiration from the Chicago Bears who are know for the colored lines on their sleeves. I also tried to use the should pads to denote what weapons they had. The plasma gun guy has a orange should pad denoting the plasma gun while the other two have white should pads. Then all three of them share the blue shoulder pad.
    Looking at the rest of the minis in this unit, these guys seem to be as close as I'm going to get to minis that remotely resemble space marines so we'll have to see how the color scheme translates to the rest of them. I have two more guys primed up and ready to paint so hopefully I'll have some progress on them shortly to share.

So without further ado...

So got the first coat of my skin layer on my next two Grey Hunters this morning. While the light was good I snapped some pictures so I could photoshop some color schemes on them and see what I liked (hence the green backing).

This afternoon I got the first coat of my blue layer on as well but that is not shown in the pictures. These guys obviously have power weapons and not so obviously have bolter pistols strapped on their back.

Have the first layer done on most of these two Grey Hunters. Just need to to silver, gold and bronze first layer and then it's time to bring on the shadows. These guys look very little like the first three guys but I hope having the same colors will tie them together enough.

On another note. It is awesome to be painting Rackham again. After a year on GW only, I am loving painting the Rackham stuff again. Don't know why I ever stopped. Their detail is just so amazing and the definition makes it so fun to paint.

Ha Haaaaa! this is cool. do you remember space dwarves, if you can get hold of any they would make a cool addition!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny889 View Post
    Ha Haaaaa! this is cool. do you remember space dwarves, if you can get hold of any they would make a cool addition!
    Do you mean Squats? Or are there others I am not aware of?

I have thought about squats, but the problem is that they are such the wrong scale compared to the Rackham stuff. That is why I did my lore that these Space Dwarfs are evolutionarily different from squats in that they are larger in stature. So, long story short, I am thinking about including an attachment of Squats and use them like an attachment of Imperial Guard.

Very cool concept and paint scheme. I love it when people say screw corp orthadoxy and have fun. I hope your untraditional force kicks butt.

The next two Space Boars for my first unit of Grey Hunters. These two guys have power weapons powered by the furnaces on their backs. I feel like I am getting better at the orange and blue tones, at least with my attempt to copy the color of the Chicago Bears. I finally decided how I wanted to base them as well. I came to the conclusion that a green rocky field fitted the best because it looks like they might be on a football field which is fittings. I was hesitant because it is the same as the bases for my WHFB Dwarf army but I decided to say screw it and do it the same.

Now that I got 5 grey hunters under my belt it's about time I got some sort of goal to work towards. I've been following Tommie Soule's Space Wolves army WIP over on LO and thought what he get got done in his first month seemed like a good goal.

So here it is, a goal:

9 Grey Hunters (5 Done)
    1 Wolf Priest
    1 Razor Back

I doubt I can get that done in a month, more likely three months... but we'll see.

Those are looking really nice! The strong scheme is a refreshing change from the dark/muted minis I've seen a lot of recently. Much respec' for doing the whole proxy-army thing, too
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

, hilarious idea, love it
    One only need use company-specific miniatures with company specific fluff if one is intending on participating in company-specific tournaments, I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by RayzrYR View Post
    , hilarious idea, love it
    One only need use company-specific miniatures with company specific fluff if one is intending on participating in company-specific tournaments, I reckon.
    Thanks RayzrYR, I agree completely and since I don't even live anywhere with a GW store and have way too many Rackham minis, I thought it made sense.

So here are the next two additions to the first 9 Boar Hunters.

I have the base coat and shadows painted in on all of it and have brought only the blue up to it's highlights (although not the final highlight yet, I save that for the very end).

Can't say enough how fun it is to paint Rackham, the definition in the sculpt is just beyond compare in my opinion.

It's been awhile, but I have some new stuff to show.

First up is the Boar Hunter Captain.

Next up is the Rune Priest

Last edited by HodRod; 09-14-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    Turning lead into gold is easy, pour it into a Rackham mold. -Mr_Maxime

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

Is that first one Ditka? And you are painting way to fast! Lol

These continue to look impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Is that first one Ditka? And you are painting way to fast! Lol

These continue to look impressive.
    Ditka would be a good name for that guy. When you can only paint a stroke a day, it takes awhile. Actually I had to take a year off as a result of travel, but am back to my Space Boars now and hope to be finishing more in the near future.

However, over the last year, I got to do some digital concepts for the rest of this army. These are all Rackham concept that I just painted over.

Last edited by HodRod; 09-01-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

Have some new Space Boars to show. These three guys finish off my first 10 units. Now on to the tank. I will hopefully do a little more WIP shots while I work on this big boy.

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars