Hod's Space Boars WIP (Space Wolves made from Tir-Na-Bor Dwarfs) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hod's Space Boars WIP (Space Wolves made from Tir-Na-Bor Dwarfs)

Man, those dwarves are gorgeous!
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Thanks Meph. I really enjoy these Rackham Dwarfs, they are a joy to paint. Now that's it's football season (and the Bears won a game), I'm feeling inspired to do some more work on them. Hopefully I'll have some WIP on the Tank soon.
    Turning lead into gold is easy, pour it into a Rackham mold. -Mr_Maxime

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

So I took a look at the Chariot and got intimidated, so I decided to start small with a new unit of Boar Scouts. Here's a WIP with the face done.

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

Finished up a few of my Boar Scouts. I'm using the Solider of the Plains and the Blunderbus TNB guys to fill it out. Looking to get a unit with 3 Snipers, 6 Scouts and a Sniper with a Cloaking Cloak. Here are the first two, a Scout and a Sniper Scout.

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

Another Scout Finished.

Also did a little bit of work on the Chariot.

A little WIP of the Scout Champion - who of course is Pilzenbhir These guns fit in his hands like it was meant to be. I'm doing a lot of different designs on him because he is the champ - I hope he doesn't get too busy. This is going to be my first Space Boar with Red Hair, I hope it doesn't look too weird.

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

These all look so damn good--and I adore the color scheme.

Finished the Boar Scout Champion. Pleased with out he turned out. I'd love to hear what you think.

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

So I finally got around to taking a shot of everything I have painted for this army so far. I like how the guys are turning out. When I had them all together, I could tell the difference between Boar Hunters and my Boar Scouts with a quick glance. It might be a bad year for the Chicago Bears, but the Space Boars are coming along nicely.

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

Real old school feel to the paint job, love it
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Good to see a group shot. Very impressive.

Thanks guys. I really admire your work, so it's great to hear that from you.

Here is a WIP on the newest Scout. This guys a sniper with a cloaking cloak (I just like that term).

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

These are so great man!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Got this guy finished up for a Competition over on the French Confrontation site.

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

So full of character. Your flesh work is really great
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    So full of character. Your flesh work is really great
    Thanks Zab. I almost feel like Rackham minis paint themselves with how much detail they have, and that was very true with this face. I'm glad you like it though, it's always hard working in my black lines on the face, but when it comes out, it really makes it pop.

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

These are really fantastic HodRod. May I ask what (specific) colours you used, and by whom? I'm brand new to this whole mini painting thing, but both the blue and orange look exactly how I want blue and orange to look on two different figures, and my test colours of different shades isn't working so far, so knowing what you used would be extremely useful.

Cheers and again, absolutely superb work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sletchman View Post
    These are really fantastic HodRod. May I ask what (specific) colours you used, and by whom? I'm brand new to this whole mini painting thing, but both the blue and orange look exactly how I want blue and orange to look on two different figures, and my test colours of different shades isn't working so far, so knowing what you used would be extremely useful.

Cheers and again, absolutely superb work.
    I'm glad you like the colors, they took me awhile to get right because the army is based on the colors of the American Football team, the Chicago Bears. I watch a lot of their games and it took awhile of studying their colors to get the right type of blue. The orange came easily and was right from the start, but the blue was the harder one.

So for the blue, it's very much like doing black. You want your base dark blue to be a big part of your mid-tones when you're done. You really only want to do most of your highlighting in the brightest 1/3 of the areas. So I base in GW Kantor Blue and then shade it with GW Nuln Oil until it is a very dark blue. I then reapply GW Kantor Blue to the brightest 1/3 and then blend up with GW Lothern Blue over a few layers until I do my final highlight in full GW Lothern Blue. The key to it is to make not paint over a lot of your dark blue so it is your mid-tone. At the end I do another shade of GW Nuln Oil to blend it.

The Orange is just GW Troll Slayer Orange as a base. I shade down with something like GW Agrax Earthshade or GW Reikland Fleshshade. I then paint up my highlights with GW Troll Slayer Orange blending to White. I do my final highlight with a color that is almost full white with a kiss of orange in it. Like with the Blue, at the end I use a shade to blend the colors a little.

Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you have any more.

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

Fantastic! love the conversion to SW. great colours too.

Thanks mate - after you mention to treat it like doing black, I watched some videos on how to paint black. Should help out a bit. My attempts were ending way to bright looking originally (like at least an Ultramarine Blue colour, with brighter highlights) when I highlighted up, so changing technique might be the key. Much appreciated.