Dark Vengeance Release
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Vengeance Release

Default Dark Vengeance Release

So, Games Workshop released the latest edition of the 40k rules, and the ubiqitous box set release. Being rather financially limited at this point in time I wouldn't have gone near it, except that I'm a keen Dark Angels collector. Bastards. So, I'm gonna sell off some other stuff to make up the funds. Anyway.

I arrived home from work today, to find a large, plain brown, GW stamped box inside the front door with my name stamped on it. I got a little excited.
    This box set me back $180 Australian, which at this point in time is about $180 US or about 116 Pounds. Unfortunately, this is a fact of living in Australia or New Zealand and purchasing GW products.

Ok, I eventually got the little one to bed, made some food and sat down to inspect my purchase. The first thing I did was look for faults. I've been out of the loop for about 10 years, but coming back I'm reading much negative press about GW and their current practices, which is disappaointing, so my first thoughts when I opened the box went to the negative. The entire kit is designed as press together, no glue required, so they have had to be very inventive with how they break down the miniatures. I was impressed. Mould lines are present, but not awful, about as much as I would expect from a normal plastic sprue. The level of detail is very good.

Standard contents are in there - dice, blast/flame templates (made with leftover necron green plastic I think). I've had a quick look at the rules, but I'll probably never play them. A couple of handy quick reference charts. The miniatures themselves are why I bought the box. The characters included stand alongside the Finecast range for the amount of detail on them. The chaos guys are great. The cultists I would probably use in Necromunda too.
    My wife asked me was it worth it? I say yes.
    For my DA army, I've just expanded it by 3 more characters, and 3 more units, and got a basis for a new chaos army.
    So, who else got the box set? Did you think it was worth it?

I was tempted but as I'm getting old thought i'd go for some larger scale figures. However ~I did pop into my local GW shop and examined the figures in detail, for me I think its a great buy if your into space marines, and 40k chaos. I particularly like the cultist sculpts, lots of movement.
    I even got into a game of it too, which i have never tried as i only paint. All in all a dam good buy.
    P.S. keep clear of the (finecast) failcast figures they are awefull. Plastic new stuff is really good though.

I've also been looking at getting this, also for the Dark Angels mainly. (probably try to sell off the chaos or something).
    The Aus price tag has been a huge deterrent, especially given the issues my house mate has had with his various Space Wolves being poor quality.

It's good to hear that if i do get this pack that the quality is back up there... though i may just get the US one because it's only ~$100AUD (damn GW profiteering).

I'm not going to be picking up the boxed set as none of the mini's would actually form part of any army I collect. However I have picked up the mini rulebook, limited ed mini and chaos lord from a bits shop (works out expensive but less than the full box). I like the look of all of the mini's and without a doubt the quality is superb - a testament to GW's skill in that area and (I believe) proving that in time they'll release more single blister plastic mini's. My biggest criticism is that the dark angels have too much iconography on them to be utilised in other armies without masses of conversion. All of the chaos mini's can be use in pretty much any chaos army with the right paint job, but not the other way round.

Oh and I still think the space marine bikes look weird.

I've picked up a copy as it released on my birthday. Absolutely gorgeous set, especially the Chosen. Shame to open it as it says limited edition.

I've heard complaints that there's a bit of repetition in the models. I remember back in my childhood the 40k starter set game with forty identical Gretchin, 20 identical Orks... hee hee
    My miniatures blog: www.ninjabread.co.uk

Newbie, please be gentle aelance's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I gotta say that this is the best 40k starter ever released. The helbrute looks absolutely amazing. And the full-color mini rulebook just blew me away!

Only gripe I have about this set is that I don't quite like the cultists.

Did up an unboxing post at http://40kdom.blogspot.sg/2012/09/da...-unboxing.html, check it out!

Easily their best starter set ever, and an interesting choice Dark Angels v. Chaos. There isn't much repetition really, two sprues, nothing that an alternate paint scheme wont fix. The Helbrute is pretty awesome up close, especially considering its part of a mass-produced spue, not a special/ stand-alone piece.
    I've started to put them together, but it'll go slow. I only get a few hours a week at most, after everyone else is in bed .

Saw a mate's in the later part of last week and was very impressed with everything I saw. The rulebook is a little flimsy and would have benefited from a more substantial cover - I can see it ending up very dog-eared after a few games. The Chaos marines are amazing, cultists are "ok" - they'll look better as a group than individual pieces, hellbrute looks pretty lethal. The marines are good but very limited and wouldn't work in the majority of marine armies without massive amounts of conversion.

My mate has kindly said I can put together and paint the Chaos side and he'll do the DA so I'm quite chuffed with that

Love the new box set. love that fact that chaos FINALLY got a new dread sculpt, and finally got some worthwhile cultist models

One thing I'm not very impressed with (and discovered earlier) is that they're actually selling the painting guide for the new DV box set as a separate iPad publication for £4.99. Previously the painting guides were free and within White Dwarf & online. It's 50 pages long with lots of eye candy but it's only a "tabletop standard" guide - not an 'Eavy Metal level guide so not particularly impressed with the fact that it's a) costly and b) only available to iPad owners.

My codex is in the mail, but i want to know now: Is the helbrute the new name for the chaos dreads? or is it a totally new unit altogether?

Best box set ever made so far. The detail is very nice.

Moe
    Last edited by moetle; 10-11-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Moetle: Hey. Yes the helbrute is just the fancy new name for a chaos dread but they have made a few tweaks to the rules. Dont want to say to much and break a forum rule or anything but the main changes are fire frenzy related (hope thats ok to mention)

Now back on topic:
    For a long time I have heard many people moaning about GW prices and the quality of GW minis so it is really nice to see so many people pleased with the set.
    Never seen the prob with the GW stuff myself, Yes i had one or two finecast with faults but generally the minis they produce are well sculpted and well moulded/cast, which is alot more than you can say about some other more expensive minis *cough* scibor *cough* :P
    I did have a couple of issues though.
    Its a shame that they repeated one of the chosen, Surely it wouldnt have been the hardest thing in the world to make 6 different minis! Also the fact that the dark angel iconography is plastered over every possible surface means that it will involve quite a bit of filing/scraping to be able to use these minis for any other SM force. Final gripe is more of a personal thing, I think the cultists are hideous! One or 2 of them look ok but the rest just dont do it for me. Ugly awkward poses and lots of repetition.
    On the plus side though I think this kit is great value for money when you look at what you get in the box and would definatly recommend it to anyone who enjoys painting/playing Marines.
    Oh, and the helbrute looks amazing!

Ah see, I dont mind the cultists, I saw them and thought of Necromunda, I few quick chop'n'changes of weapons for a bit more variety, but an excellent base for a cultist gang. As for the Dark Angels iconography, yep, you've pretty much got to want to play DA or a successor chapter to use those pieces to make it worth the effort.
    I agree with secretpaintgeek about the Chosen, it would have been good to have six individuals, but again, a quick bit of conversion would rectify that.
    I am quite impressed with how they have designed and arranged the pieces on the sprue. Future box sets from GW will certaintly benefit from this technicial ingenuity here.

Quote Originally Posted by secretpaintgeek View Post
    Surely it wouldnt have been the hardest thing in the world to make 6 different minis!
    It wouldn't have been hard, however it would have increased the development cost of the box's set by like, 15-20% (blanking on how many plastic frames were in there). 6 different chosen means that they need plates for a whole additional frame (instead of doubling up on one of them), and those things run upwards of several dozen thousand dollars each.
    Heck, I have a picture of a Dwarf Lord plastic kit (similar to the Empire and High Elf on foot and mounted 2 character kits of craziness), which rumor has it wasn't release because someone broke the master plates and they couldn't afford to replace them (I can post it if you want). You don't make that kind of investment and just shelf it. Just the way business works. And all things considered, the kit is a steal, especially when you can eBay a whole tactical squad for $16 (they are ball-busting on cultists though). At least it isn't the monetary joke that finecast units of doubles (and triples) are becoming.
    Edit: Just remember that the Heavy Stubber and Flamer cultists use the same body. I'm assuming that those actual guns aren't on the doubled up frame? Cause if they are than yeah, GW was kinda lazy.
    Last edited by Durandal; 10-12-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
    It wouldn't have been hard, however it would have increased the development cost of the box's set by like, 15-20% (blanking on how many plastic frames were in there). 6 different chosen means that they need plates for a whole additional frame (instead of doubling up on one of them), and those things run upwards of several dozen thousand dollars each.
    Heck, I have a picture of a Dwarf Lord plastic kit (similar to the Empire and High Elf on foot and mounted 2 character kits of craziness), which rumor has it wasn't release because someone broke the master plates and they couldn't afford to replace them (I can post it if you want). You don't make that kind of investment and just shelf it. Just the way business works. And all things considered, the kit is a steal, especially when you can eBay a whole tactical squad for $16 (they are ball-busting on cultists though). At least it isn't the monetary joke that finecast units of doubles (and triples) are becoming.
    Edit: Just remember that the Heavy Stubber and Flamer cultists use the same body. I'm assuming that those actual guns aren't on the doubled up frame? Cause if they are than yeah, GW was kinda lazy.
    Out of the 4 frames, two are identical and contain 9 cultists, 1 chosen, 4 tactical marines, 1 bike and 1 terminator on each sprue. One of the other sprues contains the 2 cultist leaders, autocannon & flamer, hellbrute and other chaos marines.

To be honest, although I'm not a fan of the duplication, each model on a sprue is unique so you only have doubles (rather than triples and quadruples) of miniatures. The layout of the sprues is very clever because you do get a bit of variety.

What surprised me the most was the limited edition chaplain was a limited run plastic so I guess that a small sprue (i.e. 4"x4") has a lot lower investment cost?

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    What surprised me the most was the limited edition chaplain was a limited run plastic so I guess that a small sprue (i.e. 4"x4") has a lot lower investment cost?
    Yeah, I'd imagine. It was the same kind of frame as the recent Fantasy character blisters, and the new Aspiring Champion (which is the best-designed one to date, as you don't need the provided base, and both arms and backpack are easily substituted). Also gives me hope that the chappy might see a general release later down the line (like in 7th maybe).

He liked it the best!

seriously, when I'm painting, there he sits next to me in the box.

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

Brush Brother Moetle

dammit moetle - You've got my copy of the Dark Angels codex...
    Seriously I haven't been able to find my copy around here anywhere

That sucks. If you kept your codexes on the floor, stacked on top of each other. You would trip over them in the dark and always know where they were from then on

Moe

Brush Brother Moetle

I really like this set. Great way to get me back into playing and painting again... just put my Hellbrute up a few days ago:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/322189