How long does it take you to paint one miniature - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long does it take you to paint one miniature

Blog Entries

Depends - I tend to work on either whole units or partial units at a time - I would say on the orks I'm finishing up right now around 40 hours total - 40/12 = 3.3 hours per ork or so.
    Dr. Walter Bishop: I have used this technique to extract information from a corpse once. You can do that if they haven't been dead for longer than six hours.
    Peter Bishop: [in the background] Right, 'cause after six hours, that's when they're really dead.

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar. S. Clemons

Because I don't have enough madness in my life : http://topographyworkshop.blogspot.com

Usually if the pj takes more than a few hours, I don't finish it
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Newbie, please be gentle aelance's Avatar
    Blog Entries

40 Hrs! *sweat*

The longest I spent on a miniature would be around 20 hours doing up my Daemon prince.

Here's a link to it http://40kdom.blogspot.sg/2012/04/da...e-refined.html

For grunts like chaos marines, I spend around 4-6 hrs. More detailed minis like Chaos Termies would require 8 to 12 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    There is no hard and fast rule on how long a mini should take.
    For example one competition figure I've just completed (Sans Base) for Euro-Militaire 7 hours from first brush stroke.
    The base should take me about the same amount of time as it's "relatively" simple. *
    * Me and my big mouth!
    17 hours in and less than 30% completed, however I'm happy with the work I've done so far.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Probably around 20+ years (assuming I actually finish the damn thing). I'm starting to think that I am more of a collector rather than a painter...

There is no hard and fast rule on how long a mini should take.
    For example one competition figure I've just completed (Sans Base) for Euro-Militaire 7 hours from first brush stroke.
    The base should take me about the same amount of time as it's "relatively" simple. *
    * Me and my big mouth!
    17 hours in and less than 30% completed, however I'm happy with the work I've done so far.
    Well that's probably the longest I've had to work on both a base and a figure.
    Wasn't happy with the original layout and I've had to re-work, sculpt, (WTF, me sculpt!) jocky and tweek stuff until I'm 'happy'.
    All told I'm looking at around 35 hours work, not counting making the Plinth for it. (**)
    And I'm knackered.
    Have to admit that this last two weeks has been the first time I've picked up a brush since April and I know about it.

(** Plinth = 2 hours sanding, routing and polishing Mahogony. Felt like I was Farting sawdust this morning.)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Speed and motivation are really connected for me. It is important for me to keep myself at the edge of my skills and experience, sometimes also meaning that I have to paint more simply or dirty-ly than I could, for example I might not have the energy or time. Avoid perfectionism, it kills motivation. Being the best you can be at the moment, on the other hand, keeps happy and learning new stuff.

Motivation is also stirred by changing painting style and learning new techniques just for the joy of it, besides changing subject matter. Example: paint Malifaux crew in 1.5 hours using some sloppy three-step layering, drybrushing and a pot of dipping substance. No it doesn't look like competition material... Ah! but comparison is made with the wrong reference point! -- The crew would never have been painted had I aimed for a higher standard. And then, some weeks later, I might spend 20-30 hours working on one mini that I'll never use for gaming. Just 'cause it's a choice and not a chore.

Name:  IMG_1589%u0025255B1%255D.JPG
Views: 386
Size:  66.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by zeltch View Post
    Any advice on how to keep motivated... after doing the same segment for a while now I get somewhat less motivated to pick up the brush again because I know there is still a long hall ahead of me.
    You have to enjoy the process ... for me, when I walk into my painting room, it's a release from all the other pressures in my life. Don't let painting become another one of those things you dread or the results will not be as good as they could be.

jim