How long does it take you to paint one miniature
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take you to paint one miniature

Default How long does it take you to paint one miniature

So I have been trying to get better at painting and I have noticed that the speed at which I paint is a lot slower now because I try to make things as best as I can. I was just wondering how long it takes everyone else to paint? Does it generally take a while to make it very good or am I just slow lol.

I think I'm at four this year. Probably 7 hours on each. Probably should spend 10.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

How long is a piece of string ?

Depends on the desired outcome. If you want to slap some color onto a board game miniature maybe an hour (including preparation, priming and painting), if you want to get it up to competition standard 20 hrs +

Any advice on how to keep motivated... after doing the same segment for a while now I get somewhat less motivated to pick up the brush again because I know there is still a long hall ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltch View Post
    Any advice on how to keep motivated... after doing the same segment for a while now I get somewhat less motivated to pick up the brush again because I know there is still a long hall ahead of me.
    Mix in a mini that you wouldn't normally do. For breaks from the display piece, knock-off some table tops. Er, give yourself some goals.

I've read that achieving small goals towards a larger one will help. The article was referring to paying off debt, but nearly same thing (debt = unpainted minis). Counter-intuitive mathematically, but the study found that people who hit small goals more often than one large one were more motivated and excited about paying things off. So paying off the smaller debts rather than the higher interest ones actually paid things off faster. Stretching that to minis, do some small painting goal like a face, a bit of armor, a gaming squad, etc could lead to staying motivated more and give more push to the larger display one.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Never actually timed my self, but on some of my larger/ more detailed items i will finish them off over a week or so (considering i work full time).

And I totally agree with PegaZus, doing something different/ taking a break can be rather good (especially if you are doing batches of very similar models like a Zombicide or something).
    I normally paint W40K Dark Angels, but i stole some of my cousins Orks to paint just for something completely different. These guys took me about a week, no where near pro level, but i'd like to think they are a little above standard table top level.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Between working full time and commission work, I spend roughly two weeks on a model. But broken down into amount of time really spent I try not to spend more than 8 hours of table top pieces, display pieces range from 30 hours to 125 hours give or take.

I motivate myself by browsing here, posting in the WIP forums for friends to critique, and taking on small commissions in between large projects.
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature

Hi everyone, first post on CMoN.

Personally, I find that keeping a blog helps me keep motivated.
    Sometimes I go to my own blog and just look at the work-in-progress pics of things and think "Oh yeah, I really should finish that".

Apart from that, yes, painting things you dont usually paint really helps shake things up and make you think.

For example, I've painted a lot of Orks over the last few years, but recently I've decided to really put some effort into my Space Marines and I also bought a bunch of Necron stuff (Still have not started with that). I'm not daunted by having lots of stuff still to paint, I just think it's important to 'do something' regularly and it whittles down over time.

Recently, I've been spending more of my time actively trying to improve my painting techniques and be less of a slap-dash painter.
    Here is a pic of something I've painted recently to put on my desk at work.
    Name:  2012-08-27 Paint WIP 03.jpg
Views: 4444
Size:  67.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by zeltch
    Does it generally take a while to make it very good or am I just slow lol.
    No, this is completely normal - even though with experience you become more assured and can paint certain things much faster the total time taken to paint something usually rises quite a bit over time; from <2hrs to >20 hours wouldn't be a stretch.

From timing myself doing a couple of minis in single sittings minimum for me minimum would be 12 hours if aiming for a high finish. It'll be way higher than that if I'm going for the best effect I can manage and just working at my natural pace. Obviously the time also increases a lot with an increase in scale - painting just the tunic on a large-scale figure could take longer than an entire mini.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltch
    There's little that can be done to directly combat this in the short term, most of the tips are ways of sidestepping the feeling rather than any sort of real fix - the usual one is to work on a few projects at a time, so when you get bored with one area you can switch to doing something else.

But bottom line your levels of motivation are what they are and you can't hope to revolutionise them in a short time, but, this is also one of the things that would normally develop over time. So just pace yourself initially, try to extend your working periods slowly week by week or month by month and before too long you'll be able to tackle much more work without the "Bored now." setting in.

Einion

The best time-saving trick is eliminating repetition. If you're working on a batch of models then paint just one all the way to finish with no time limit. Change colours, repaint bits that don't work, refine your scheme. Then, then you get to the bulk of the painting you do it in the most economical way.

What are you painting zeitch? We can give you better advice more tailored to your projects.
    My miniatures blog: www.ninjabread.co.uk

I forgot to add (Most important part), I'm a very slow painter, but this I attribute to not being very good and also trying some new techniques.
    The miniature above took me about a week doing bits whenever I got a chance, and a couple of late nights. If I would put a total time, I would say 10 hours maybe, but then its worth bearing in mind that I was painting a few things concurrently and switching between them.

It might sound strange but being a slow painter is only a problem if it is a problem to you.

I also set myself 'soft targets' which motivates me to get things done in a certain time.
    There is no real point to these targets other than to prove to myself that I can do it, but then if I miss the target I find it is good practice.

Right now im painting up a Skaven rat ogre from the Island of Blood set. I've really been focusing on the flesh of the model, trying some new things out. I had taken a few pics on my gf's camera but I never had a chance to upload any, maybe tonight I can get some pics up here.

this year i have completed 15 minis i paint about three hours a night every night or as near as damn it so 672 hours divided by 15 =44 hours each, Jeez louise!! Err Im suprised I have a mariage any more!Lol
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

44.8 hours to precise, tut tut know wonder we havent got to Mars yet

(I used a calculator LOL)
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    44.8 hours to precise, tut tut know wonder we havent got to Mars yet

(I used a calculator LOL)
    This is why i do not keep track of hours invested per mini...i would probably become depressd let's see the last mini i finished was 10+ years and the one before that was even longer. If i finish the Warjack this month, i will be at a record of around 7 months!

Just keep after it and enjoy the process if your rate of completion is not where you want it...oh, and a WIP definately helps. I am using it to force myself to post update photos at least twice a month.

Newbie, please be gentle Number 6's Avatar

This encourages me.
    I gotta visit here more often.

Newbie, please be gentle Baffo_mk2's Avatar

I am pretty slow as well:P
    For standard rank and file troopers I spend roughly 4-12 hours depending on how many colors the scheme has (I generally limit my palette between 3 and 5, not counting shades and highlights). Fortunately I play mainly Warmachine so units aren't more than 15 men strong, unlike Wh fantasy where you might have 20-50 of the same soldier to paint (I never managed to get even one entire regiment of my fantasy dwarfs finished, cause I lost the will to live around the 9-10th model...)
    My latest work was the Khador Colossal that between conversion work and painting took me 6 weeks to finish (3 weeks converting and 3 painting by brush); I didn't time it accurately but I spent about 120 hours of work on the project (3-6 hours a day, occasionally more on weekends).

any where from 14 mins (plastic 3 piece marine) to infinity!
    My sanguinary guard took 40 hrs

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

Quote Originally Posted by zeltch View Post
    How long does it take you to paint one miniature?.
    As long as it takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    How long is a piece of string ?
    50 metres according to the last ball I had to buy.
    There is no hard and fast rule on how long a mini should take.
    For example one competition figure I've just completed (Sans Base) for Euro-Militaire 7 hours from first brush stroke.
    The base should take me about the same amount of time as it's "relatively" simple.
    A bust for same competition about 21 hours (+/-).

But I've done reasonable gaming pieces in a single hour.

Realistically you should not bother to time yourself as it takes as long as it takes.
    Being as honest as I possibly can I don't see the need to speed paint for anything other than gaming, painting a mini should be like sex, the longer you take the more pleasure involved for all.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie Soule View Post
    any where from 14 mins (plastic 3 piece marine) to infinity!
    My sanguinary guard took 40 hrs
    Holy smokes! I am going to have to fly across the pond and go to a Golem painting day to learn your 14 minute technique