Boubi WIP - Page 7
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Boubi WIP

Lovely stuff. That blue is very dramatic.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

A quick update of my Stonehorn. Still some work on the blue shading effect of the horns.
    I plan to make the gems on the horns in green, any other ideas to make them popping up but not too much? At the beginning I planned to make them red which was potentially too much so I went for green.. Maybe have other color to suggest?

Name:  p1716290620-3.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  112.9 KB

I think the green will work as long as you make it a super deep green. Shade with a bit of purple and blue to pull the colors together with the horns. Or you could do them purple, but that might blend too much.

Thanks Zab, I will follow your advice... My attention was pulled by this scared guy on my painting stand... I had to finish him to take a break with these huge horns. So here we go:
    Name:  p1729079303-4.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  103.5 KB

Almost finished need additional 30min to finish some slight touch on the boots, the hook, etc...

poor guy looking awesome!

purple gems on the stonehorn could work, if you work contrast on them they should stand out well from the blue-ish horns. isnt green ones too much skaven anyway?

Nice shading on the white and red, love that mini lots of humor
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Thank you guys... I will then work on the hunter rider before to finalize the horns and the head for that big guy!
    I will try one side in purple and one side in green for the gems and see what will work better!

So here the tonight update... As mentioned I started the hunter sitting on his Stonehorn.
    I am trying a fast painting technique mix between wet blending and layering with multiple colors on my palette. Actually I found this technique so much fun because you never stop painting, a touch here and there, and here... continuously adding colors. So the result is not the top of the top, but after a bit less than an hour, half of his skin is done, which is faster than my previous layering technique, with less mid-tones and colors in it.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  78.2 KB Name:  photo_1.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  99.4 KB

That hunter is so angular, he offers so much definition and the tones you have got going on are working well. I think Zab is correct about the gems, green is a good choice and with the shading purple and blue it will look tops.

I particularly like your mage and paladin they are invoking. Im going to find that female paladin noW!

@Canny, Thank you! I went green, just need to add some purple shade as advise.

See latest work, the horns took me hours and hours, too many facets each of them around 20-30 layers to have an OK gradient, if it was for a golden demon I would need to add additional hours of work to get it perfect, but right now cannot stand them anymore, need to work on other parts.
    Here the picture:
    Name:  p1868205896-3.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  140.4 KB

More to come, I will finish this beast!

As someone who survived the Thundertusk, I'm with ya Boubi! Looks absolutely fantastic!

Thank you Kathryn, I am not sure to survived this one... Already the Ironblaster took me ages... The Stonehorn well, let's see!
    I want to look as the same standard as the rest of the army, so it will take a while... Will keep you posted!

Looking good Boubi! your not going to like this after all the time youve put into it but I would push the contrast and highliting more and most importantly put glint pure white highlite dots on the edges and some in the black regions too. Youve done such a good job why not go the final stretch and make it epic!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

AndyG, yes you are right I will add some extreme highlight to it.. I have stopped this beast for a while and I will come back to it soon. I know it. I am always starting multiple projects then finish them one by one accordign to my mood at that time!

So after long time not posting anything in my WIP, here I come back... I always wanted to start a Dark Eldar army, because I like the models... I am not so fan of GW but from time to time it is good to paint a model or two... Here the exercise was to paint the model spending less than 2h on it... here some first results:
    Name:  Capture 01.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  30.8 KB
    Name:  Capture 02.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  33.9 KB

And here my Space Marine Librarian, just for fun and almost done... in a GW mood... It will change soon. What do you think, any advice?
    Name:  Capture 03.JPG
Size:  35.1 KB
    Name:  Capture 01.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  31.3 KB
    Name:  Capture 02.JPG
Size:  33.2 KB

Real good, real good! Along with Bailey your works have gone through the roof over the last 12 months.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Real good, real good! Along with Bailey your works have gone through the roof over the last 12 months.
    As usual, Than you 10 for being so supportive... I am training painting in the last 3 years seriously. But still a long way to go!
    There is progress, and that's really encouraging, I found that the longest to learn is the color theory, which color with what, etc... the painting technique itself is much better now. I am much faster than anytime before!
    I will continue posting on my WIP...

By the way, which base can I do for the librarian??? I have no idea and I am quite dry!

Absolutely lovely. Nothing wrong with GW they still make some nice minis. The DE line has a wonderful aesthetic to it.

I'll echo Lee in saying your improvement is notable! The base hmm cracked bullet scarred concrete nothing too big fairly neutral to keep the eyes on the librarian would be my take so a bit of cork matt ripped up and roughened maybe a bit of conduit showing.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Thank you Andy!
    Good idea for the base. I will make it simple... I will keep you posted with the final mini!

One question to you Andy, it seems that you are using the technique I called "rough then smoothing", meaning that you apply your highlight quite rough with not good transitions then you smooth it and detail it. Am I right? I saw recently many people using this technique allowing much richer mid tones because while smoothing the color the painter often use slight variations of its base colors.

Ok here my simple base for my librarian:
    Name:  p780417251-2.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  71.6 KB

And One more experiment, long time I didn't use my oil paint, so I decided to make a oil paint Bones miniature, after priming I just started to mix and make the brown leather jacket of this mini, I did this result after a bit less than 30min. Yes blending is quite easy with oil, but it has some constraints too. But Oil painting is quite enjoyable and change completely the experience from acrylics. I will use first oil for the base layer then switch to acrylics for the details after a layer of matt varnish. Here the result:
    Name:  p604324303-3.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  90.3 KB
    Name:  p1071503622-3.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  100.2 KB