Boubi WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Boubi WIP

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Looking good. The contrasts on the red are very good and the vials look like real glass. The face looks a little too bright yet. I lke the idea of copying work you like.

And that green glob dropping out of the chaos dudes guts is just disgusting. Good...i think
    Thank you KruleBear, for the brightness, yes it is true but also due to the picture, done with the ipad, never so good but so practical for WIP pictures!
    I really need to finish the base of the Chaos Lord and make him stand there!

Newbie, please be gentle nestorv's Avatar

I really like how your Nurgle lord looks. I am to start working on that model myself at some point. What is the overall idea over the base? Something coming out of the well?

Quote Originally Posted by nestorv View Post
    I really like how your Nurgle lord looks. I am to start working on that model myself at some point. What is the overall idea over the base? Something coming out of the well?
    Thank you nestorv, i am still not sure for the base. I will see while doing it, if i don't like it i will start over.

ok here some update from my wolfen

i am trying to finish all the goodies he is carrying. The bomb is not finished yet, will improve it. Do you have any comments or suggestions? Don't hesitate...

Loving the work so far, especially on the Nurgle lord - the metal effect is very effective and the base looks interesting. Out of interest where did you get the materials for the base? I can't find a decent supplier of materials (haven't checked Taobao thoroughly yet, but not had much luck in Beijing so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Quiarcus View Post
    Loving the work so far, especially on the Nurgle lord - the metal effect is very effective and the base looks interesting. Out of interest where did you get the materials for the base? I can't find a decent supplier of materials (haven't checked Taobao thoroughly yet, but not had much luck in Beijing so far).
    Taobao is an amazing source. I cannot believe what you can find, it represents 80% of online purchase in China, in a word HUGE!!! Millions of transactions per day! You can find nearly everything, I have checked out for base material and found interesting stuff especially in Guangzhou. But for this base is only some pieces of stuff found a bit everywhere. The bottom part of the base is a LED lens used in LED Lamp I am designing and producing. The rod is a sawed wood rod coming from a Jiaozi wood roll. Then an IKEA cork plate with milliput on top sculpted like cobblestone. The well is made by homemade bricks out of plaster.

You're not kidding about Taobao - I purchase nearly everything off of there; would buy my groceries too if I didn't have such a good market nearby. Thanks for the reply by the way; I'm currently trying to source milliput locally - going to the art district next week, with any luck somewhere will be open. Also after plasticard etc to make my own terrain.

Oh, and happy mid-Autumn festival to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiarcus View Post
    You're not kidding about Taobao - I purchase nearly everything off of there; would buy my groceries too if I didn't have such a good market nearby. Thanks for the reply by the way; I'm currently trying to source milliput locally - going to the art district next week, with any luck somewhere will be open. Also after plasticard etc to make my own terrain.

Oh, and happy mid-Autumn festival to you!
    A bit late, or even really late but better late than never, Happy Mid-Autumn festival and hope that you got good holidays so far!

I just have finished my Nurgle Chaos Lord, so to finish one of the several mini I started this thread with I post the picture here:
    Name:  img506d64e15091d.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  125.8 KB
    And the vote link

Very nice, great base - I would of had the tentacle pink
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Good job mate voted and commented.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

A small update on the wolfen, finish some of the accessories he is carrying on his back. Still remaining many small details...

Thats some smooth blending there. I think I would be tempted to push the contrast a tad more on the fabric. That said its still some mighty fine red there which I always find a difficult colour to do. Blue in the shadows or purple? Gloss varnish on the phials?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Thats some smooth blending there. I think I would be tempted to push the contrast a tad more on the fabric. That said its still some mighty fine red there which I always find a difficult colour to do. Blue in the shadows or purple? Gloss varnish on the phials?
    Thanks, i was also quite tempted to push the contrast but got afraid to mess it up. I might try on the arm part which i didn't start yet. I used vallejo blue and yellow from model air to make the shadow and highlight respectively. Yes i tried gloss varnish on the phials, i am still not sure if it was a good idea. I can still cover them with a matt varnish later on.

Ok, after few weeks without painting much having my second little boy to take care, here my last update on the wolfen before submission. Need to take better pictures but just to show a preview for the few ones who followed this wip.
    So what do you think? I tried to work on the base, is it too much? Your comments are more than welcome....
    Dont really look at the picture it was quickly taken with my ipad... Will take better when get time.

Really nice colours. Esp. love the pinks on the skin, gives the mini a 'mystical look'. Good base also but the leaves look too 'placed', they should be more random.

Like it
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

really nice work dude, very neat. Reckon the reds could have been pushed higher in the lights and shadows. Skin is ace and I for one like the yellow muzzle and black nose.

All in all great work and you should be pleased. This is a lovely mini, I would bite my own arm off to paint it.

Cheers for sharing, will.
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

That's really nice! 10ball is correct about the leaves, a little too staged but everything else looks great.

Ditto! Looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    Really nice colours. Esp. love the pinks on the skin, gives the mini a 'mystical look'. Good base also but the leaves look too 'placed', they should be more random.

Like it
    Quote Originally Posted by Willdorling View Post
    really nice work dude, very neat. Reckon the reds could have been pushed higher in the lights and shadows. Skin is ace and I for one like the yellow muzzle and black nose.

All in all great work and you should be pleased. This is a lovely mini, I would bite my own arm off to paint it.

Cheers for sharing, will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
    That's really nice! 10ball is correct about the leaves, a little too staged but everything else looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Ditto! Looks very nice.
    Thank you guys! I will change the leaves set up, the back side it is a bit better, it is true that the front side they look well organized. It should be by engineer brain, I love symmetrical things and quite well organized, so it was done unconsciously :-) . On the other hand I tried to recreate the wind blowing in the wolfen upper part cloak... Actually not so easy... But I will try to bend the long grass a bit more!
    Really thank you for the positive feedbacks, I have spent quite lots of time on this mini! And like the outcome, I will push even further on the next one, at least feel progressing after painting seriously over a year.

very nice mini, loooove the skin colors
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    very nice mini, loooove the skin colors
    Thanks SkelettetS!

Here the final pictures and the vote link:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/319576
    Last edited by boubi; 11-27-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: change links