Boubi WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Boubi WIP

Awesome mini. Excellent painting all over, obviously, but the gradients in the face are just mind-blowing!
    Latest endeavour: OSL Wyrd Pere Ravage

Practicing human skin and faces - Summer - Almira
    Space Hulk OSL Diorama
    OSL AoW Orc Shaman

Hi everyone!
    Next mini to work on... Between my army building... (I don't know if I will ever play one day), here I started two new minis... Rackham again. I love these minis so much, they are quite amazing!

So here we go, first one, Vorak The Infallible:
    Name:  p1320689896-4.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  104.8 KB
    Name:  p1320689484-4.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  93.0 KB

And then Eclipsante... What a sculpt... again...
    Name:  p1320689996-4.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  78.6 KB
    Name:  p1320689640-4.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  80.9 KB
    Name:  p1320690102-4.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  129.3 KB

I am still thinking about which color scheme to apply to Eclipsante!

Ok some more progress on Vorak, I am trying to use a bit more complex skin tone, green, red, brown red, purple, yellow...
    I am not sure about the effect, I couldn't not detach myself after painting the first arm and the head, I will have to wait tomorrow morning with a fresh look at it to see how it really looks like.
    During this time waiting for your comments...

Name:  p1323182770-3.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  85.8 KB
    Name:  p1323182908-3.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  63.4 KB

Blog Entries

i really like what you are doing with the skin of Vorak. I have also always liked the other figure so I am looking forward to seeing some paint on her.

I like your nurgle lord a lot. Some subtle colour variations work really well. I'm trying something a little similar with mine.

The Vorak job is going great. Love the red hues in the shadow. Really works well.

Liking the reds / violets on Vorak's skin.

Thanks, will continue into that direction then... So next question NMM in pure Rackham style or some TMM? I am tempted to make it in TMM and increase my skills to TMM Techniques. what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by pariahrob View Post
    I like your nurgle lord a lot. Some subtle colour variations work really well. I'm trying something a little similar with mine.

The Vorak job is going great. Love the red hues in the shadow. Really works well.
    Thank you, I saw your nurgle and already commented, it looks really nice too, really like the flesh tones... Following your WIP, it seems that another really "good" nurgle will come out!
    Last edited by boubi; 12-10-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: mistake

D a n

Quote Originally Posted by boubi View Post
    Thanks, will continue into that direction then... So next question NMM in pure Rackham style or some TMM? I am tempted to make it in TMM and increase my skills to TMM Techniques. what do you think?
    I vote for TMM if that's where you feel that you need some practice. Furthermore I'd like to add my voice to those praising the work on Vorak's skin, and I'm looking forward to seeing that effect over the whole mini. 对了,你是中国人吗?

Ok there it continues with Vorak

Still hesitating NMM or TMM, so far I did the belt in NMM (not finished yet) but I believe that I can mix both... It is true, in pure Rackham style it should be NMM, by the way it is difficult to get rid of the Rackham painting image while painting their mini.

Name:  p1325741634-3.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  85.2 KB
    Name:  p1325741700-3.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  62.5 KB

What do you think? Which direction should I take for the metallic parts?

personally i dont think you should mix nmm and tmm, so i say go for nmm if thats what youve started looks ace so far, great skinjob

Nmm or TMM? I think you should do whatever you think works. Your work is amazing, so whatever you choose it will look great!

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Ok I have decided to go to NMM, again facing the same problem with NMM, highllighting! I am still ok on where to place shadows and highlights, then I am shadowing my NMM quite well layers by layers reducing the area and it looks quite great, but then I need to highlight it, I go step by step by putting a really small amount of lighter color in the base color but it never really works, always got this chalky finish, or obvious marks. With NMM you need to get, quite fast (on a small area), a high contrast to a light color. I have tried with different paints, different colors, different dilution but same results... So Now I start with highlight and try to wet blenda bit to get a rough highlight, then I use by base coat to adjust it step by step, then I shadow the NMM...

Any advice from NMM expert?? I would love to share some detailed technique about highlighting a base color for a NMM achieving on a small area a high contrast from a NMM expert! It is something I am constantly struggling even after one year trying. I have painted all my mini in NMM except 2, but I always got difficulties for highlighting...

After that frustration speech, here Vorak continued:
    Name:  p1331927116-3.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  83.2 KB

Once you have decided where the shadows are going to be, use a mid tone of the original colour and with the paint thinned (like milk) drag the lighter colour across from dark to light in a single stroke until it gets to the very edge to stop any tide marks.
    NMM is a bitch to master and takes LOADS of practice and patience.
    Looking good, keep going
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Ok I redid some parts of the mini, the belt, the hat, and continue with some other parts, knifes... I spend lots of time on the hat, the result is still not as good as I expected, same problem, again, highlighting my NMM.

Here the picture:
    Name:  p1333298396-3.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  77.2 KB

What do you think? does the new color of the belt better?

I think the hat looks great. You could maybe take it a bit lighter, with a really white 'sparkly' final highlight but really good already.

I prefer the red belt. Much better IMO.

Thank you pariahrob, i also prefer the belt in red... For the highlight i will stop there, suffered quite a lot already to achieve this... I am afraid that i wil spoil it if i continue.

Vorak took me quite of energy so i relax a bit on a dark eldar project.
    Here one pic, from time to time i will swap projects...
    Name:  p1333497998-3.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  79.0 KB

Vorak looking smooth, very clean.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Thank you 10 ball!

Here some small progress on Vorak, started the NMM on the mace, then the bracelet, now need to finish the skins and other small details, he should be done before the end of the week
    Name:  p1337080934-3.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  97.4 KB
    Name:  p1337081018-3.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  76.1 KB

This is looking really nice. All these nice Rackham mini's everyone is painting makes me sad they ar not being produced any more.