WIP: 1:96 USS Constitution
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: 1:96 USS Constitution

Default WIP: 1:96 USS Constitution

While I stayed in Serbia I found a store carrying a lot of good old Revell kits which were (in my eyes) dirt cheap so I just had to get me the biggest model I could find in the store and then walked the streets of Novi Sad looking like a five year old with a huge grin on my face and sparkling eyes, carrying a box that was half the size of myself.

I have decided to share this childish joy with you guys while I assemble, paint and slightly convert this small thing called a model. The finished model will measure 91,8 x 68 cm(that's 36.1 x 26.7 inches for you across the pond) and the kit contains 1307 pieces with sizes ranging from 696mm long to F*ing tiny. Painting the crew is something I'm quite looking forward to.

I decided that this project needed a log of its own, after all, the model is so big that it needs to have its own workspace in order for me to be able to go on about my everyday life and other projects in between sessions.

And the first thing I did when I got back home was naturally to set up the workspace.

Name:  Shipstart.jpg
Views: 3705
Size:  70.7 KB

Welcome home, my child.

I'm hoping you'll have just as much fun following the thread as I'll be having building the ship.

Stay tuned!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Nice looking kit. Ive been a big fan of Revell for a number of years now, i look forward to seeing this take shape.

cool. its just like those scale model tanks i know people build, where you have to glue every cog. one zillion pieces that make game workshop's "mulit part plastic kit" kind of laughable. anyway, will be great to see this take shape, although i think you should have choosen a swedish warship, like Kronan or something. where is the patriotism here?!

oh, and by the way, what's up with GDUK?

I am such a freakin' scifi nut I was all excited to see what you'd be doing with such a large starship model. Scale seemed off. At 1:96 surely it would be larger, right? Scroll down and...

Oh, THAT USS Constitution. Uh, okay. Carry on.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    cool. its just like those scale model tanks i know people build, where you have to glue every cog. one zillion pieces that make game workshop's "mulit part plastic kit" kind of laughable. anyway, will be great to see this take shape, although i think you should have choosen a swedish warship, like Kronan or something. where is the patriotism here?!

oh, and by the way, what's up with GDUK?

Yeah, I still take some mild offence whenever some random store kid complains about the complexity of the GW kits. Back in MY day dammit... Kronan will be done some day, just haven't found/been bothered to search hard enough for a level 5 kit of her, those are the most enjoyable ones.

I can't afford UK this year, two trips abroad kinda drained me sadly. :/
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Quote Originally Posted by PegaZus View Post
    I am such a freakin' scifi nut I was all excited to see what you'd be doing with such a large starship model. Scale seemed off. At 1:96 surely it would be larger, right? Scroll down and...

Oh, THAT USS Constitution. Uh, okay. Carry on.
    Too much Star Trek eh?

Newbie, please be gentle GreenGears's Avatar

Oh my goodness! I remember putting this kit together as a 10 year old kid. I had such lofty goals in mind, and fell so very short. Here's hoping you have more talent and patience than I did at 10.

Hmmm not much chance of that im afraid...i reckon chrome will manage about two thirds before he gets bored, drops it like a hot rock n moves onto something else lol
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Newbie, please be gentle GreenGears's Avatar

Well here's hoping that's not the case Cassar. I'd love to see someone bring the image I had in my 10 year old head of billowing sails, salty spray, *insert other majestic nautical adjective/noun* to life. I'll be following this build. Best of luck Chrome!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGears View Post
    Well here's hoping that's not the case Cassar. I'd love to see someone bring the image I had in my 10 year old head of billowing sails, salty spray, *insert other majestic nautical adjective/noun* to life. I'll be following this build. Best of luck Chrome!
    batten down the mizzenmast! hoist the anchor! swab the decks ye scurvy dogs! and walk the plank! yarr!

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    Hmmm not much chance of that im afraid...i reckon chrome will manage about two thirds before he gets bored, drops it like a hot rock n moves onto something else lol
    :P Cheeky bastard!

Lol.......

a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.

Well then, secondary goal with this project is hereby to prove Cassar wrong! Moahaha! (only because he does have a point, apart from my GD entry I haven't finished anything in ages, I need to change that.)

Been doing some hull painting today, first I primed everything white, then I used Scorched Brown as a base colour for the wood and Hashut Copper for the ehm, copper.
    I then washed everything with Badab Black to mute the colours quickly and give the copper the first stage of verdigris.
    The wood was drybrushed with some graveyard earth to pick out the grain and make it look slightly aged and worn.

I then continued by sponging most of the copper with a mix of 5 parts Kabalite Green and 1 part Chaos Black creating a dark green and very uneven layer of verdigris which got covered with an even more unevenly sponged layer of pure Hellion Green (those new dry paints from GW are absolutely wonderful to sponge). I finished the verdigris by mixing some of the Hellion Green with water and streaked downwards on the copper to create the feeling of an often wet surface.

Name:  shiphull.jpg
Views: 6013
Size:  92.5 KB

This has a really nice, almost textured effect with very eye catching colour variations, not bad for a first attempt at trying verdigris on such a large area if I may say so myself.

I have to say that looks SWEET a really really IMPRESSIVE effect there Chrome.......shame you wont finish it.... LOL only pulling yer leg matey Yaaaaarrrr!
    If you're going for the "realistic just into dry dock for a service effect" might i suggest barnacles made from your rock plaster only ground up nice n small and applied like you would salt for the salt weathering technique only with glue instead of hairspry obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    I have to say that looks SWEET a really really IMPRESSIVE effect there Chrome.......shame you wont finish it.... LOL only pulling yer leg matey Yaaaaarrrr!
    If you're going for the "realistic just into dry dock for a service effect" might i suggest barnacles made from your rock plaster only ground up nice n small and applied like you would salt for the salt weathering technique only with glue instead of hairspry obviously.
    Thanks mate! That could make a really nice effect! I'll definitely get me some spray glue when the money rolls in the next time.

That's some lovely copper, and no mistake.

Re: spray glue - I'd ga canny with spray glue if I were you. If you're not very careful you run the risk of getting glue in places you really dont want it, and I've found that spray glue tends to dry tacky (meaning the hull of your ship will be tacky, at least up until it grows a fluff-jacket Possibly just splodging glue on with an old brush might work better, and be more controlled?
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Quote Originally Posted by me_in_japan View Post
    That's some lovely copper, and no mistake.

Re: spray glue - I'd ga canny with spray glue if I were you. If you're not very careful you run the risk of getting glue in places you really dont want it, and I've found that spray glue tends to dry tacky (meaning the hull of your ship will be tacky, at least up until it grows a fluff-jacket Possibly just splodging glue on with an old brush might work better, and be more controlled?
    hmmm i concur with Mij's suggestion.

Blog Entries

I like the cut of your jib, Tony.

Mariner joke, not a "Ooft, I would" navy joke...
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Looks pretty spiffy so far! Maybe attach some...seastuff... to the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    Looks pretty spiffy so far! Maybe attach some...seastuff... to the hull.
    cough cough #14 cough cough

also might i add HOLY CRAPPOLA TBS IS BACK IN TOWN!!!!
    Last edited by cassar; 09-06-2012 at 09:11 AM.