Bad habits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad habits

Default Bad habits

Come on, share you worst habit that has to do with miniature painting :)

Mine is ... licking the brush to take off the excess paint or water. Something tells me I\'m not the only one here :)

U4-Welcome

I hold the mini itself instead of fixing it with blu-tack or something to a base of sorts. That way I can happily damage the primer and paint already laid on, and have to paint these areas again.

It\'s every bit as fun as it sounds, you should try it ! :innocent:

P.S. Licking brushes ? Guilty as charged. :)

I\'m guilty of licking the brush, but its because I want to either keep the point or add a bit more water to the mix.
    (must get around to trying this wet pallet thing).

I\'m not a brush licker in general, but after cleaning my brushes I do lick them to form a point before putting them away.

Like U4, I do hold the mini itself when painting.

My worst habit, however, is browsing CMON instead of actually painting minis.

I bite my finger nails...

um, yeah lick brushes but not with the paint on, coz it tastes funny. I also rub paint off the mini, I\'ve taken to varnishing finished bits to stop this.

I\'m a brush licker. This is why I\'ve been trying to get Reaper to make their new Master Class of paints in flavors. :bouncy:

I had a friend whose habit was to drink a glass of milk while painting...
    Once he cleaned the brush in his milk... :) and drank it because he didn\'t want to waste it :D
    And a month or so later, he drank the glass where he cleaned brushes instead of his glass of milk... lol and didn\'t enjoy its subtle taste. lollol

Default Don\'t know if it\'s a bad habit...

Buying minis other people have painted instead of painting them myself.

It only started because I couldn\'t paint myself for a while, and picked up a couple on ebay, now it\'s become a hobby in itself.

I do the brush lickery, but only to get it to a point, I also have an annoying habit of assembling too much of the mini (ie sticking on arms or weapons that make it difficult to paint the area behind them)

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

Default sometimes, I\'m in to much of a hurry

:( after cleaning all the flash and lines, I sometimes forget about washing the minis:wow:

Knowing I\'ve put too many paint coats I screwed up on and not doing anything about it...

Sturmhalo

Brush licking, though it isn\'t what I\'d call a bad habit (unless you\'ve just rinsed your brush in turps or something equally toxic! - ugh). I used to suck the excess water out of my brushes and end up spitting it into a nearby bin. Gross I know. I stopped doing that about a year ago when I moved in with my girlfriend and she started making sure we had a good supply of kitchen paper! Very absorbant.

I hold my brushes with me teeth. I am often seen mid-painting with 2 brushes sitting like ciggarettes in my mouth... when poeple talk to me I take them out and hold them like ciggarettes. funny thing is I don\'t smoke. [edit] oh, and sometimes when I concentrate I grit my teeth so some of my brushes are shorter then others [/edit]

Aside from that I am a brush licker who is trying to give up the habbit.

Sturmhalo

Originally posted by finn17
    Buying minis other people have painted instead of painting them myself.

It only started because I couldn\'t paint myself for a while, and picked up a couple on ebay, now it\'s become a hobby in itself.
    Buy mine! :D

It seems brush licking is most peoples habit!

A year and a half ago I never licked my brush...Ever!
    Then I met Golden Demon winner Dan Byer aka Jericho on CMON. He is a fully addicted brush licker.
    Now for some weird reason (social habit?)I lick my brush (when they are rinsed! not with paint. yuck!) to help maintian their shape inbetween paintloads.
    So Yeah I do... But its HIS fault!:rolleyes:

I don\'t sleep either it seems. start painting after the kiddies and spouse are in bed , 10pm. Then go at it until 2 or 3 am. Nope not good.

Worst habit is starting on a model and adding it to my heaps of already 30-80% finished figures. And I can\'t stop myself either!
    ???

Sturmhalo

Originally posted by SaxonAngel
    I don\'t sleep either it seems... after the kiddies and spouse are in bed , 10pm. Then go at it until 2 or 3 am. Nope not good.
    I\'d have thought your \'massager\' would have been one of your \'bad\' habits?!

:D

Sorry for bringing the tone down again everyone. Ignore me.

Originally posted by SaxonAngel
    Worst habit is starting on a model and adding it to my heaps of already 30-80% finished figures. And I can\'t stop myself either!
    ???
    So thats where that habit started currently on the desk in various stages at the moment are:
    10mm scale Mounted Archeon
    10mm scale Thangol and Bone Ripper
    30 x 10mm scale Orc Boyz
    10mm scale Orc Boss on a Wyvern
    A Harbinger of the Fury
    Esmerelda the White Witch
    The complete Adventurer
    4 Dwarf Wars Orc Command figures

I keep promising myself I will finish them before starting something else but some of them have been there for a few months and the Furty and Witch were recently started:D

As for my brush licking habit well I blame Tamiya for that as they made their paints alcohol based at one time (not sure if they still do) but the habit has continued.

The other habit I forgot to mention earlier was dipping my brush in whatever I am drinking at the time by mistake for the rinse water:(

Worst habit according to the fiancee and mother: buying new stuff when I\'ve already got loads to paint.

Must ... resist ... buying ... more ... minis ...

Oh, what the hell, just got paid anyway. I figure I can always eat grilled cheese sandwiches for the next 4 weeks.

Originally posted by Sturmhalo
    I\'d have thought your \'massager\' would have been one of your \'bad\' habits?!
    Bad? Nononono!
    It\'s good. Very, very goooood.

:D