New guy's hit a lull

Thread: New guy's hit a lull

Newbie, please be gentle Rvdbarnes's Avatar

Default New guy's hit a lull

Hey all

First post on the forum
    I've recently added my first model to the site with my aim to hit an average 7, I'm currently sitting at 6.6 so not a million miles away so i cant complain too much!

After realising I'm more into painting that gaming, I'm going to concentrate on the latter.

My progression seems to have slowed down a little of late so I wondered if I could leave my latest work here to be torn apart and criticised, hopefully mostly in a constructive way so that I can move forward with my painting.

Blog Entries

The quality of the paintjob is very good, looks great. Maybe the score is a little low because of the model being a space marine -- although a nice space marine admittedly. Just tons of cooler models out there mate. A great start to your gallery and welcome to the forum!

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Higher than anything I've managed. Should I be voting on it, I'd have deducted a full point for there not being a decorative base. I don't consider a mini "finished" unless there is one.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PegaZus View Post
    Higher than anything I've managed. Should I be voting on it, I'd have deducted a full point for there not being a decorative base. I don't consider a mini "finished" unless there is one.
    I would normally agree totally, but this is a Space Hulk marine so it can be forgiven!!!

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Thanks for the replies and compliments guys, much appreciated!
    A couple of things for me to think about already, I can see this becoming addictive.

Now I've accepted I have more time/appetite for painting than gaming it's great having a whole range of great minis to go at rather than the ones for a specific army I'm collecting at the time.

I would say show more angles. I normally vote a mini with a single view a little lower than ones with multiple views. How can I accurately score your mini when you don't show the back? Could there be an error or something to hide? Who knows, but I would say take the extra few mins in Photoshop and crop some images and put them together. Also, all of that white space is a bit distracting - maybe crop it a bit more and zoom in a bit more so we can see the mini closer. Your blends look smooth enough so don't be afraid to show us a little bit closer view.

I know it's a Space Hulk mini, but be sure if you want the base black, then clean up the red splashing over from the feet. One more thing - the red looks just a tad washed out - perhaps this is the photos, but maybe a couple of red glazes could enrich the red again, but that's just nitpicking.
    I don't know why your score is so low, but don't let that discourage you. It looks good to me!
    My Rank -

Thanks Elly, lots of points for me to consider there, just what I'm after.

Blog Entries

I had already voted on this figure before seeing your thread and gave it an 8. There have been a lot of head scratching scores lately, yours is one of them. Great advice given above and excellent painting sir. I would really look into doing display bases for your figures in the future. Not only will they score higher but they look better in your collection display case. They are loads of fun to create on top of that.

Thanks Milosh, most kind of you to say!

Basing is something I always applied pretty basically and uniform to look OK on the table - sand, black' 2 browns and a cream followed by a couple of patches of static grass.

This is something I really need to look at

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1 View Post
    I would normally agree totally, but this is a Space Hulk marine so it can be forgiven!!!

dfb
    I wonder if that's part of the issue with the score. I honestly can state that I didn't know it was Space Hulk, and that I cannot recall ever voting on a mini with a base like that. To me, it looked like a regular GW marine. Without a base.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

It deserves a 7+, the paintjob looks really neat, good color choices, smooth transition. The major problem as mentioned is the base, even if basic better than nothing.
    At the beginning I was also concentrated on the painting technique of the mini only and poor, or even, no base at all. But I realized that the base count a lot in your figurine so you need to work it out!
    Good luck but seeing your paint quality, not afraid of great future improvements!

Pretty much to echo what has been said. As I (quietly as I'm at work) scrolled through the image I went from "wow, love the red" to "mmm, needs the base done". As Elly says the splashes on the base make it appear to be 'unfinished'.

Lovely red transitions though

Thanks all, will definitely try and work something out with the basing.
    Im tempted to have a go at the GW skarsnik and Gobbla piece for my next effort which at least has a semi decorative base that I will be able to work with.

No need to use semi decorative base. Simply buy some cork in your art shop or in IKEA if one nearby or drink more wine ... Cork is perfect to make basic rocks. Then you can also use real stone. Or even green stuff to make some new elements for your base. Plaster of Paris is also a really good small investment for making basing, tiles, bricks, etc...
    As soon as you will invest more time into basing, normally more you will like it... Material for basing can be found anywhere around us, just give a look about what surround you and you will get new ideas!

i hear ya, feel like im in the same place, lines are neat, paint is straight, but just cant get that edge!!!