Page 152 of 157 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,040 of 3122

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

You're pictures all say "invalid attachment", at leas they do for me, can't see any of them.

Also, the barbarian model came in the mail today. It's a very quality kit. It's a resin model, so nice and lightweight. There's a moderate amount of flash, but don't really see any mold lines. The separate pieces all fit together perfectly. I give it an A+, so if they have any models you're really interested in, I say go for it.

Thanks for the heads up, Fluister. I'm not sure what the issue was, but something about trying to host them here didn't work. I put them up on my blog and then used the insert image from URL, so the post should be corrected now. If you reload, I believe the images should appear.

Good to know about the Draconia figure. I like a lot of their stuff. When the right project/time comes along, I'll have to get one!

Well, it's been about 3 weeks since I've had the chance to really do any painting on my own projects. Feels like ages! But, last night I had some time to sit down and decided to do a bit of painting on a knight I started a few months ago. I did the upper part of his surcoat and you can see a nice comparison between the more finished top section and the bottom where the shadows are just sketched on. Hopefully I'll be able to tackle the rest of it this weekend. Sorry, I was pressed for time, so just some quick cell phone shots.
    Name:  kn01.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  158.7 KB Name:  kn03.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  150.9 KB

And here are some closer views in case you're interested.
    Name:  kn02.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  222.8 KB Name:  kn04.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  203.0 KB

There are still some areas I want to go back and refine. I will probably add some heraldry on the front. I'm going to play around with a few ideas on paper first. He's got the stripe at the bottom and I'll put something on the shield, so perhaps that's enough. But something on his chest might be nice too. I kind of just want a quick fun project before I get back to the bigger long term ones (pirate scene, count melenth, and either Lozza or that female orc), so I doubt I'll get too carried away with the design stuff.

Looks great. And thank you,.. I've been hungering for something that isn't GW related,..
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Thanks, Webmonkey! Ha, yeah, this WIP thread is generally pretty light on GW stuff. Though I should warn you, I might be painting one of the new primaris space marines in the near future. BAM is hooking me up with the primaris chaplain, I assume by using a few of his old NJ connections and getting one that 'fell off the back of the truck'. Nah, I'm sure it's all on the up and up. ;P I tend to avoid the 28mm stuff, but I think it's a really cool looking figure so I thought I'd give them another try.

Nice start on the red surcoat and congrats on placing in the NOVA. And my vote is for the post apocalypse figure. More fitting of your realistic style than the orv that looks a little more manga.

Thanks, Krule!

I've made some more progress on the surcoat for the knight and taken some proper pictures. I'm working in sections as it's easier to focus on smaller regions (where'd I want to play the highlights here? Did I hit this fold yet? Where did I end the last layer? All easier to remember when I've got just a small region to keep in mind). The nice thing is the belts and then the splits in the cloth help to easily divide it up into various areas (upper body, waist, and then each half on the legs). I still need to do the bottom right, but that gives you a nice comparison with the unfinished sketched area.

I made some adjustments to the top, but still need to do a bit more to get the highlights consistent with the rest. I also plan on adding some sort of design to the chest (thinking maybe a lion's head), but I still have a little bit to decide on that. So far I'm happy with the progress and it's fun to be painting again!

More work done on the surcoat. I finished up the bottom right and rebalanced the highlights on the rest of the figure. I'm playing around with a couple ideas for the design on the chest. Started sketching out some ideas, but I'm going to give it some more thought and planning first. No need to rush into it and screw the piece up!

Name:  kn11.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  156.8 KBName:  kn12.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  157.2 KBName:  kn13.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  147.1 KBName:  kn14.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  158.5 KB

That is some gorgeous red Bails. Nice to see the progression from where it was sketched out too.

Looks like a fantastic sculpt, I'm sure you'll do wonders with it
    error 404: signature not found

Lovely glow on the robes, excellent !
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thanks, Foxtail and Ten Ball. Ten Ball, it's a +1 robe of painting, so that's why it glows. =)

lol +1 robe of glowing / very impressive coat. AGAIN!!! David!!!

So I start to think 'I've got enough figures for now, a pile of unfinished projects that I should focus on. Let's hold off on buying anything new for a while.' And then something like this shows up on my Facebook feed...

An awesome looking 54mm fantasy figure, so definitely the kind of piece I'd like to paint. Of course by time I ordered it and actually got around to painting it, there'd already be at least half a dozen outstanding versions of this done by the pros making the rounds in galleries and in competitions. On the other hand, who cares, it's an awesome looking figure! I might have to start practicing how to paint dark and rusted metal armor...

That's very inconsiderate of them!!

(Had to buy one, of course...)
    Last edited by Ritual; 09-27-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Of course by time I ordered it and actually got around to painting it, there'd already be at least half a dozen outstanding versions of this done by the pros
    David I hate to break this to you but you are "the pros".

Quote Originally Posted by Josh The Stampede View Post
    David I hate to break this to you but you are "the pros".
    This. So much of this. I find it funny that even he has a "when I get better" pile of minis too!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Josh, ha, well there are plenty of times where I still feel like an amateur. Especially when it comes to fantasy figures like this. There's a lot of gorgeous work online that I see and just wish I could pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    This. So much of this. I find it funny that even he has a "when I get better" pile of minis too!
    Oh definitely. There are quite a few where I've got a specific vision for how I want to do the piece/scene and I don't have what I need to pull it off yet. And there are a couple where I want to be just a bit better so I can really do the piece justice. In particular, I'm thinking of the big piece based on Paul Bonner's Ogre Jockey. It's a rare kit and a prized possession, so it's being saved for a time when I finally feel up to taking on something that massive.

oooo yeah im also very tempted by that wraith miniature.
    at least i have the 32mm lich king miniature its based on

as usual great painting here btw

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    oooo yeah im also very tempted by that wraith miniature.
    at least i have the 32mm lich king miniature its based on

as usual great painting here btw
    Yeah nice figure indeed really tempting.

Thanks, Skel!

Skel and Teronus, you should get one. I held out for about a day and then ordered it.

I've done some more work on the knight, but no new pictures at this point. I started playing around a bit in photoshop to help plan out the design work. Here are the two main options I'm considering. I think I like the griffin best, but those details start to get pretty small at this scale. The lion head would be easier. So would it be better to choose something I don't like as much but I have more confidence it will be successful? I'm going to give it a few days and see if the design grows on me.
    Name:  kn_sample.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  313.0 KB