Page 153 of 154 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154 LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 3065

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

I do not think that you will be satisfied with yourself if you paint only the lion head, so you should go forward with the griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Lemming View Post
    I do not think that you will be satisfied with yourself if you paint only the lion head, so you should go forward with the griffon
    Agreed. And we have to push ourselves to learn. Can't get better if we just settle at what we know we can do.

Not that you need to get any better
    error 404: signature not found

Damnit David stop showing us awesome new models to buy!! I can't afford this shit anymore!!! lol
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Alright, I am leaning more towards the griffin. I'll probably give it a shot this weekend and see how it goes. In the meantime, I've been working on the leather parts on the knight.
    Name:  kn23.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  439.2 KBName:  kn24.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  444.5 KB

Here's a look at how the leather on the scabbard developed. As I go from dark to light, I'm focused more on texture than smooth blends. It's a lot of stippling and short strokes to develop the look I want. I tend to work from dark to light, but I continue to jump back and forth too. Even on the lighter sections, I'll return to the darker shades and stipple in here or there to help with transitions and adjust the overall look as I feel is necessary.
    Name:  Leather_small.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  344.1 KB

Nicely done. Looks great!

i prefer the griffin, but i think allot of that is to do with the lion looking quite flat in comparison, perhaps if you worked some more patterns into the lyon it might be better, but still easier. the rest of the figure is looking great, i like the texture you have worked into the leather.
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 10-05-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Leather and textures 3 hour class 4 classes from intro to advanced. Ill sign up right now.

Thanks, guys! Ha, BAM, I'm not sure I quite have enough material for a 4 class series... but maybe in time I'll put together one class on texturing.

I've got a couple early stage looks at some of the next parts of the knight I'm tackling. I started building the base. I decided to make it a small scene, relatively tight to the figure. I found some nice large fat bricks at the hobby store, well sized for castle stones in my opinion. So I broke a couple up and used it as rubble partially buried in the ground. Now I'm trying to settle on the other details for the base. I wanted to place a couple broken arrows in his shield, so I put a few more than landed in the ground. I'm playing with the idea of a banner on a spear... but I'm not sure if there's a good reason it'd be sitting there or if it's more of a distraction to the figure than an asset. I could put some dropped weapons on the ground. I've got a photo etch sword blade which could be lying there or stuck in the ground. I looked at adding a dropped shield as well, but it was a bit too large for the size of the base. Anyway, I'm still playing around and figuring things out, but here's a look at some possibilities...
    Name:  kn25b.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  416.0 KBName:  kn26b.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  426.4 KB

Then yesterday I had about half an hour to paint, so I decided to start on the design for his chest. As tempting as it may be, I don't dive right into the details. Instead I treat it like I would if I were drawing the design on paper. I begin by trying to define the main shape and the add details on top of that. So step 1 is just a simple curve representing the head, body, and left leg. In step 2 I start to flush out the design. I get the thickness of the head, body, and leg. Then I add in a sketch of the arms, second leg, wing, and tail.

In the next painting session I'll refine the main shape and start to sketch in the shading and highlighting. And then in the final step I'll add what fine level details I can manage. It will be a back and forth, using yellow to add to the design and then the background red to take away. At this point I still have delusions that I can paint a detailed design on a small figure. Soon the reality that I'm not Bohun will set in and I'll be forced to make some compromises. But I'll get a second chance when I repeat the design on the shield (slightly larger so it'll be easier to add more of the details I miss in this one).
    Name:  kn27.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  318.1 KB

Just so damn inspiring every time I see an update davey. You make me want to paint knights, dragoon’s and everything else in the historical world of miniatures/models. When one gets that kinda muse it’s hard to inspire in any greater way! I’ll be hoping to see this based up in person one day!!!

Design on the chest looks good so far buddy. Clear enough that it's obvious what it is, which is pretty awesome at that scale.

I'm partial to the banner pole, I'm not so sure that having it jut out from the base works. Would there be room for it to lean the same way, but have the bottom on the rear left side?
    Also, what material did you use for the banner. Looks like aluminium?
    error 404: signature not found

That red looks amazing! When or if you get a chance, can you run us through your paint recipes and process for painting red?

Glad you went for the gryfin , looking really good so far

Thanks, everyone!

Foxtail, the banner is a thin sheet of steel. I found it at a local art store. It was thin enough to bend, but not easily which meant it holds its shape well. In Roman's basing class we used some thicker sheets of aluminum for signs which worked well, I just didn't have any of those handy for the banner.

Octavian, sure. For the reds I'm using Reaper's Violet Red (more red than violet) as my base. I then sketch in the shadows using Burgundy Wine, after which I blend back up to the Violet Red. Then I gradually blend Fire Red into the Violet Red. This forms the bulk of the red, but I go a bit farther with some small highlights. Whatever you use, the highlights tend to become pink or orange, so best to keep those limited to small areas so the whole area still looks red. Normally I like to use a light skintone to highlight my red. In this case I'm using a pale yellow (50/50 linen white + buckskin pale) for all my highlights, so I used that instead. I've also worked with the red set from Andrea miniatures and thought those were nice as well.

Here's a few shots I took of the process. First is the base along with the sketched in shadows. Then shadows blended into base. Then Fire Red. And finally the added pale yellow + Fire Red highlights.
    Name:  kn_red.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  226.9 KB

Sometimes a close up view can be helpful, so here's a high res look at the front of the knight.
    Name:  kn_red2.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  574.6 KB

when you say you blend back up to the base colour from the sketched shadows, are you adding incremental amounts of the base colour to the showdown colour, or are you using just the base colour and relying on transparency to smooth the blends?

Dang I get giddy when you do a historic mini.

From the mock up, I don't like the spear as I don't feel a logical reason for it. Maybe flip it with the point in the ground and the haft snapped from use in the battle.

Amazing work on this guy. I'd say no banner since it doesn't really make sense in the scene you're creating. Plus you already have some nice freehand spaces on the chest and shield. Also I find it interesting that you do the chainmail after everything else. I usually do it first to avoid getting any metallic paint on any surface that isn't metal.

Thanks, all! Most likely I'll ditch the spear and banner... well, at least I'll save it for another project where it's presence makes more sense.

Coyotebreaks, I'm adding incrementally more of the base color into the shadow tone until I'm at practically 100% base color. Same goes for the highlights.

Fluister, I avoided doing the chain mail earlier because I'm not entirely happy with my TMM. I want to try a slightly different approach and try to work more of the environment color into it. So mostly I was just delaying doing the chain mail so I had more time to figure it out. As for the application, I expect I'll be relying less on dry brushing and more on intentional picking out of the links so it's not as likely to get on the surrounding parts.

Wow great reds mate.
    Free hand needs work lol
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Thanks, all! Most likely I'll ditch the spear and banner... well, at least I'll save it for another project where it's presence makes more sense.

Coyotebreaks, I'm adding incrementally more of the base color into the shadow tone until I'm at practically 100% base color. Same goes for the highlights.

Fluister, I avoided doing the chain mail earlier because I'm not entirely happy with my TMM. I want to try a slightly different approach and try to work more of the environment color into it. So mostly I was just delaying doing the chain mail so I had more time to figure it out. As for the application, I expect I'll be relying less on dry brushing and more on intentional picking out of the links so it's not as likely to get on the surrounding parts.

thanks bailey