Bailey03's WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 172 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Blog Entries

the white speaker is looking out of sight sir. I don't think you need to mess with the skin unless you just want to warm it up with some well placed filters. For the red hair, do you own the andrea flesh set? if so I have a great way to use it to create red hair. It is what I used on the Hotline girl. The historical figure is looking great too but the girl is one of your best starts that I have seen you do.

Thanks, Milosh, I'm glad you like it so far. I had a feeling I might be hearing from you when I posted the White Speaker pictures. She reminds me a lot of your Denise bust. I don't have the andrea flesh set, but I'd still be interested to hear your approach. I'm working with Reaper Master Series flesh colors and they have some similar shades.

I like the concept art for the various White Speaker versions, so I'm taking a lot of my color ideas from there (and tweaking as I see fit).
    Name:  prt_1306136441.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  30.3 KB

Blog Entries

Am I that easy to read that by posting a girl it gets my attention. She does have a similar getup as Denise, it might be cool to make her straps in patent leather too and show the dark side of her.

I use the last three colors of the flesh set for red hair. As you know the andrea set is ultra hot with the darkest shadow being towards red but a very muted orangey red. I base the hair with that color and then mix the next lighter shades with it for the highlites using almost pure warm flesh for the highest highlites (only small areas for this). It gives it a bit of an artificial shine to the hair.

Well, I've been following your work (which I guess says the same thing about me) and your CMON tag is "I like to paint the girlz." If pictures like those couldn't get some comments I was going to start to think people just didn't like me!

Thanks for the tip. The hair on the hotline figure looks very natural, glad to know the recipe for it.

Haven't been able to paint much recently, I had my fiancee's parents visiting so that's been keeping me away from my workbench. But I did manage to finish off my Chasseur.

Name:  Chasseur17.jpg
Views: 1842
Size:  65.9 KB Name:  Chasseur18.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  62.2 KB Name:  Chasseur19.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  57.1 KB Name:  Chasseur20.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  69.1 KB Name:  Chasseur21.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  50.8 KB

See the post in the gallery here and let me know what you think:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/316909

With that done now I can focus on the White Speaker. I've started to put together the base for her. I'll try to post some WIP pictures as soon as it starts to look like something.

Very well done. The only crit is that the bright blue background is distracting.

Thanks! Point taken. I'll have to start looking for some actual photo backgrounds. I seem to remember seeing some posts about that a little while ago...

Blog Entries

fine painting sir. I do agree with the background being distracting but the painting is top notch.

Okay, so point taken about the background. I did a little searching online and got some actual photo backgrounds (thank you, MassiveVoodoo). I also put together a light box of sorts. You all were right, I can definitely see the improvement.

Name:  Chasseur23.jpg
Views: 2783
Size:  209.7 KB Name:  Chasseur24.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  190.0 KB Name:  Chasseur25.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  208.6 KB Name:  Chasseur26.jpg
Views: 2462
Size:  208.1 KB

Aside from the lighting and background, the only other changes were adding a little weathering to his boots and attaching the spurs. I got so excited about finishing the model I forgot I had left those off. Whoops.

Still working on the White Speaker. Hopefully I'll post an update this week.

Much nicer...I am still trying to figure out the photography side of this too.

Can not wait to follow the progress on the white speaker.

Well, I'm riding out hurricane Sandy and thankful the lights have stayed on this long. Here's hoping I still have power tomorrow! In the meantime it's been a good excuse to stay inside and get some painting done. I made some more progress on the White Speaker as you can see below. I've been working on the clothing and decided to do the hair too so I could get a little more color in there. I'm staying pretty true to the concept art because I thought it was so cool.

Name:  WS09.jpg
Views: 3109
Size:  145.2 KB Name:  WS10.jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  133.6 KB Name:  WS12.jpg
Views: 3097
Size:  158.7 KB Name:  WS15.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  144.2 KB

In addition to painting the figure I've also started working on the base. I've got a lot more planned for this and plenty more to add... but I thought I'd show a sneak peak. From what I understand, in the world of Kingdom Death the White Speakers are this cult that pass down their powers through secretive rituals. I'm planning to show her walking through a dark deserted forest into a place where they perform one of their magic rites. I'm trying to come up with a design for some sort of altar that she will be stepping up onto. As I said, I still have a lot planned for this.

Name:  WSBase01.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  143.6 KB

That red hair is sweet!

And stay dry out east.

Very nice shade of skin.
    grat work. Wich colors did you used?

Blog Entries

looking really good sir. The red hair has really turned out nice. Hope your power stays on but with 7.5 million homes out it is doubtful.

Well, my electricity managed to survive the night. I just took the dog out for a walk around the block... lots of branches and leaves on the ground but no major damage that I could see. Although they say the worst of the storm is over in Baltimore, we still have a day of rain and wind ahead of us so I'm not taking anything for granted.

Slybarbeau, I used reaper master series. The darkest shadows are a mix of Chestnut Brown (09071) and Rosy Shadow (09067). From there I worked up to Rosy Skin (09068) to Fair Skin (09047) to Fair Highlights (09048) and finally a touch of Pure White (09039).

Thank you very much sir. I really aprreciate the time you took to give me the colors. Continue you good work

I got some advice to do more with the hair highlights, to give the hair a more glossy look. So I tried to increase the range between highlight and shadow. I also took care a few other odds and ends. She's getting pretty close to being finished. Let me know what you think of the changes to her hair. This way better or the previous version?

Name:  WS17.jpg
Views: 3053
Size:  143.3 KB Name:  WS18.jpg
Views: 3061
Size:  132.4 KB Name:  WS20.jpg
Views: 3061
Size:  160.3 KB Name:  WS21.jpg
Views: 3035
Size:  137.6 KB Name:  WS22.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  131.5 KB

I've made a little more progress on the White Speaker. I painted the metallics and added her cloak. The fur on the cloak is still a work in progress but she is getting closer and closer to her final look. Now the big task is to finish building the base for her.

Name:  WS25.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  64.3 KB Name:  WS26.jpg
Views: 6150
Size:  65.5 KB Name:  WS27.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  59.8 KB

I felt the need to take a break from the White Speaker and I've also had an urge to paint some space marines. So here's my project from this past weekend. My last foray into Space Marines was painting a small Ultramarines army maybe 6-7 years ago. Nothing against those blue guys but I felt like trying something new. So I poked around some of the chapters and picked the Sons of Medusa. This first one is just a test to see how I like the color choices and try out a few painting techniques. I plan on doing some lighting effects with the plasma pistol but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm also playing around with weathering. As you can see, he's pretty beat up. I've still got more dirt to add and for that I'm going to experiment with using pigments.

Name:  SP01.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  69.3 KB Name:  SP02.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  60.6 KB Name:  SP03.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  63.3 KB

In addition to the marines I've got a dreadnought in the works. I've always thought these were cool looking and I like all the extras that come with the venerable dreadnought kit. The only real drawback is how static the model's pose is. So I'm working on some conversions. I've repositioned the leg and added a pole for a banner. I've got quite a bit more planned for this guy... but I thought I'd share a sneak preview. At this point he'll be part of the Sons of Medusa too.

Name:  DN01.jpg
Views: 2316
Size:  49.5 KB