Bailey03's WIP - Page 133
Page 133 of 172 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 3428

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Love the comparison shots. Can't wait to see the 2022 volution shots in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Love the comparison shots. Can't wait to see the 2022 volution shots in 5 years.
    Idem, plus it is really nice to compare old works with newer ones, so you can really see improvement. Thanks for sharing Bailey and for being an inspiration too.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Great photos mate, you have really turned into a painting pro!
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Excellent progress report, it's great to see how in a handful of years you've become one of the best painters around. I'll probably do something similar next month as it will be my 5 year anniversary of getting into the hobby.

Great pictures. There's hope for me yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    I try to answer whatever questions they might have and give whatever advice I can think of. I got plenty of help along the way, so I'm just trying to pay it forward. But it's especially nice to see that actually have an impact on someone else's work and get to see them improve.
    I, for one, have really benefitted from this thread and your tutorials on your painting blog. I have used your skintone recipe and technique and also used your tutorial on painting white. The outcome is not perfect or anywhere near your level but it has helped me get a lot smoother transitions than before. And now I paint by blocking in the shadows and working back up to the highlights. I am extremely appreciative of you sharing your experience and techniques and I can't wait to see what the future brings both from you and from myself.

I agree 100% with Octavian, great work much appricated.

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Thank you, Krule, Maenas, ten ball, fluister, Captain, Octavian, and Kretcher!

In other news, I returned to do a bit more work on an old project, the Fallen Angel piece I was working on way back in June (wow, time flies!). I'd gotten stuck on how to do the wings, but I came up with an approach that I think will work. There's not much texture on the sculpt of the wings, so I wanted to try and fake it with paint. Just a sketch at the moment, but hopefully I'll have something new to show after the weekend. Once the wings are done, it'll just be a few last details, glazing, and then making the base. Hey, I might actually finish a figure, wouldn't that be neat!

Great then and now pics, you've really come a long way in the last five years.
    Did you ever finish Redghar. would love to see finished pics.
    keep pushing forwards Bailey.
    You are ranked 9180 out of 9180 artists. WOO HOO! Im a ranked artist!

Thanks! No, haven't finished Redghar yet. I've got a bunch of projects that are halfway along or further, but have stalled either due to lack of time or because some part has proved tricky and I'm not quite sure how I want to approach it. For Redghar, that's the color palette for his leather parts. I want something that will go with the rest of his color scheme, but my normal leather color choices just aren't right. I will get back to him and finish up that piece eventually, it's just on hold for the moment.

Speaking of getting back to old projects, here's a quick update on the Fallen Angel figure. I've been taking a stab at the wings. There are two tricky parts to that. The first is the color. I wanted black feathers, but hate painting black. The second is the texture. If you look closely, you can see from the unpainted parts of the wing that there really isn't much detail sculpted in there. Only the basic shapes of the feathers are there and even those are a bit sloppily done. But the other normal feather details (parallel lines representing the barbs) are not sculpted in. So I've tried my best to paint them on. Not quite done and not entirely happy with what I've got either. I've taken a first pass at everything but the underside of the right wing (just a little bit there while I was experimenting). I plan to go back over everything to clean it up and try to make it a bit better.
    Name:  FA10b.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  150.9 KB Name:  FA11b.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  160.5 KB

There are a few other old unfinished projects (Sumothay, Gokan/Slaine, etc) that I hope to return to in the next couple months. I plan to start offering some of my completed projects for sale if people are interested. This won't include the most recent works (Samurai, Northumbrian, Knight of Holy Sepulchre) or stuff that will be especially difficult to ship (Olfo and again the Samurai), but Sorondil, the Officer of the Navy Guard, the Thraex Gladiator, the Polish Lancer, White Speaker, etc will be up for sale along with Sumothay, Slaine, etc when I finish them up. I'm not in any rush to get rid of everything. But if I can sell off the occasional piece and make some extra room in my case for newer stuff, that'd be just fine by me.

That's awesome, also kudos on the cleaning of the cabinet. I am doing the same thing this year. Outta room, the moneys will go towards more hobby stuff to fill it back up Hooray for a self sustaining hobby!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Blog Entries

she's looking great sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
    she's looking great sir.
    He lives!

Thanks, I hope to have her finished up in the next couple weeks. I'll send you along some high resolution photos when I do!

​Very moody! Thought of a scene?

Hmm... not too sure about the wings. I think the detailing is lovely, but for me the black is a bit too flat.

There are a couple of ways this could change. If we think about magpie wings, or starlings, then the black is actually a deep mix of colours that are iridescent in strong light, like so:

A crow or raven's wings, on the other hand, are a deeper black with no iridescence. But when you look at them in detail you can see that they carry the undertone of another colour - in this picture a sort of muted purple. Printers call this 'rich' black - where the flat black colour is printed over colours printed beneath to give the final black shade a deeper, richer appearance.

I think the wings would improve hugely if there was this undertone to the black - more visible in the highlights, and adding a richness to the underside of the wings that are in shadow. It would be even more awesome if they were iridescent (and perhaps more in keeping with a sprite or fairy's wings as we think of them?) but appreciate that it would be enormously blimmin' hard to make it work - and perhaps more work than you intended for this little figure.

Either way, hope that provides some food for thought...

Yeah I think adding some blues and greens to the wings would look great. That said, you did a great job of adding detail where there was none.

Quote Originally Posted by bgcdazzler View Post
    ...for me the black is a bit too flat.

It would be even more awesome if they were iridescent
    My eyes tell me Bailey's got purple (Burgundy Purple? & Dark Elf Highlight?) as part of the color range already.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't want Bailey work some green or blue down through to black and actually paint an iridescent wing...

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! There's a bit of color in there thanks to the Dark Elf tones (instead of neutral greys), but nothing to the extreme that bgcdazzler is suggesting. Once I'm happy with the shading/highlighting on the wings, I'll apply some glazes for hints of color. Unfortunately I'm trying to get this finished quickly to meet a deadline, so I don't have time for anything more complicated than that!

I've made a few tweaks to the wings, so they're slowly getting better in my opinion. Not quite satisfied though.

I think they actually look best when view from above. So I'm trying to reconcile what needs to be done so they look as good from the sides too.

In addition I've now applied some glazes to the skin. I shifted these towards the cool end of the spectrum. So normally I'd use red and purple glazes, but for red I substituted a 50/50 mix of red and purple and for purple a 50/50 mix of purple and blue. You may have noticed the subtle color shifts in the previous pictures. It's probably clearest in this close up of the face where you can see the color shift in the cheeks.

Wings are looking great, particularly from above. Good idea with the cooler tones, definitely suits the miniature better.