Bailey03's WIP - Page 25
Page 25 of 172 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

honeymoon? have a nice one!

you didnt bring the paints did you? lol

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    honeymoon? have a nice one!

you didnt bring the paints did you? lol
    Maybe they our into kinky things like that. Haha.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

It's been a month but I'm finally back! Got all my paints unpacked and setup my new workspace.

So with four figures already in progress I decided why not start a fifth one? After my trip I was inspired to do another Roman and I recently picked up this 90mm Roman Officer from cfwheeler. The face is still in the early stages. I've spent some time on the eyes, but the skin is just the first two shades (chestnut brown and rosy shadow... with some darker mahogany brown around the eyes). I started to work in a layer of rosy shadow and fair skin when I had to stop for the night, so no highlights yet. After those I'll go back in with some glazes to tweak things until I'm happy. Oh, and I'm going to be painting some stubble on the bottom of his face so that is why those sections are still really rough.

Name:  Trib_01.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  92.2 KBName:  Trib_02.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  87.1 KB

Blog Entries

Nice! How's the new place? Those eyes are fantastic!

Blog Entries

Nice start and the eyes are very nice. Is this the resin or metal version? I painted the metal version years ago and it weighs a ton.

Thanks! The new place is nice. I've got my dedicated painting area in my office so I'm happy. Still have a few boxes to unpack and pictures to hang but we're mostly moved in.

He's the old school metal version. I haven't assembled all of the body yet, but I can tell he's going to be heavy. I didn't realize you'd painted this one. Any advice on the process? With that left arm holding the helmet against the body I'm trying to figure out what order to paint and assemble him. I'm waiting on the cape until I do the back of his body, but I have yet to come up with a plan for the arms. Any tips?

Welcome back Bailey.. Nice job on the eyes..

Good to have you back. Both to stare in wonder at your art, but also for your words of wisdom. Was it hard being away for so long???

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I really remember what I did on the part of the model. It was one of my first 90mm figures I ever did and one of the first times I used acrylic paint.

Ah, too bad. I'll have to put some thought into it before I move on to the body. Thanks Kharnath. Yeah, I was definitely dying to paint something by the end!

So I've gone back in and added the highlights. I also took care of the lower half of the face and started on a base coat for the hair. It's a bit of an improvement from the other day.
    Name:  Trib_01.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  92.2 KBName:  Trib_04.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  83.8 KBName:  Trib_05.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  81.9 KBName:  Trib_06.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  92.7 KB

His hair looks like polygons from a video game :P but dam your doing a great job painting this one.
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Strong, Roman face...

again your skinpainting is just fantastic. i sound like a broken record

hope you had a great time!

Thanks, Digganob, BFK, and Skel. I know what you mean about the hair, hopefully when I shade it that will fix the polygon look. Skel, the honeymoon was fantastic. My only regret was I didn't get to meet up with any mini painters over there. My wife is very supportive of my painting... but I think dragging her to see figures on our honeymoon might be pushing things a little too far! Still, I took a lot of great reference photos for the historical figures.

I'm continuing to tweak the face. Here are some image series so you can see how he's progressed. Since the last time I fixed the corners of the mouth so they match. I was originally following the sculpt but the left side was a little off, so I faked it with the shadows. I also cleaned up the left lower eyelid then finished the ears and neck. After that I went back with some glazes of red and purple. I added a little red to the forehead creases, but focused mainly on the nose, ears, and cheeks. The purple went around the eyes and in the darkest part of the cheeks. I've got one or two little things I'd still like to fix but the face is essentially finished. I've got the hair next but then I have to quit stalling and start on the body.
    Name:  Trib_11.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  219.0 KB

Name:  Trib_12.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  211.6 KB
    Last edited by Bailey03; 06-20-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Now I am REALLY glad I sold you this.
    I could not do that face in a year....

Hope all is well.
    Did you get the fig sent to your folks ?

What kind of red and purple are you using for the skin Bailey? Do you mix it with the base flesh as well, or is it just straight? Really fantastic work..

Thanks, Chris. Yup, I got them sitting on my workbench right now. When I hit the inevitable roadblock at some point with this figure I'll probably get started on them.

Sorry, forgot to include that info, Khonner. I'm using the GW glazes (though no reason thinned down Reaper wouldn't work too). For the red it's Bloodletter and for the purple it's a mix of Bloodletter and Guilliman Blue. Although the glazes are already thinner than regular paint I further thin them down maybe 2 parts water to 1 part glaze. On the nose and cheeks you're looking at around 4 or 5 layers of red and maybe 2 of purple in the darker parts.

Wow there is a body too. That's just to cool. Thought it was just the head lol.
    ." -Me-

Bailey03, that's some next level shhhhh.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Bailey, I just wanted to thank you for an enjoyable couple of hours reading through this thread. Amazing work all round. Your general technique is very inspiring, I've been struggling to make time to sit at my painting desk recently and reading threads like yours really motivates me to start throwing paints around again.

Keep up the amazing work.