Bailey03's WIP - Page 40
Page 40 of 172 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Blog Entries

Oh, nice touch with the beam. A lot of possibilities there. The iPhone camera is really nice. I like my cellphone camera but it is not as predictable as my big camera. I did figure out my camera conundrum from a couple of months ago. I just needed more light. So I basically have your set up minus the diffuser and plus a third light from directly over head. I also picked up a 1.8 50mm lense that really helps me focus. The kit lens that came with my Canon Rebel is neat but I just can't seem to find that sharp focus on the minis.

The other big addition was a dedicated paper background made out of a card board box and some paper.

Great idea for the base, but I would add some detail to the beam so that there's no mistake that is a house, like a torch or a shield.

So much to say and it's way past my bedtime. So I'll be brief-for me.

Totally with you on the idea that the iPhone camera is more versatile than you'd think. Also, the iPhone 5 has a much better camera, too, so imagine what you'd do with that. I avoid any of the HD settings too, as they tend to wash things out. Thanks for explaining the difference between the optical zoom. I needed to know that. I've avoided zooming in with my iphone because I knew it got worse, but I've been considering how to get closer up images with the iPhone. People have asked for closer more detailed shots on my WIP and this is just hard to do whilst keeping the quality intact. I read somewhere that you can put a drop of water on the lense and it'll make it macro. I've failed at this so far.

Another thing ive battled, and continue to battle, is that when I take a pic of my minis in front of my glass door, the reflecting sun and god knows what else makes it come out perfect. So vibrant it almost glows. But once I out a background up i lose it. So I've been questing on how to duplicate this. Wish I could just superimpose a background easily.

Love the base idea. Balsa wood is just so damn good to have for basing. Used it on my current project and will use it again and again. Also base size is and will always limit you. I've struggled with this a lot.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Thanks!

Krule, I thought about trying to sculpt some food next to a broken plate. Although I suppose a broken bowl and spilled stew wouldn't tax my sculpting skills too much.

Demi, yeah the phone camera does a pretty good job. But I agree, the real camera is definitely more consistent and easier to get what I want. I'm using a canon with the kit lens as well. Focus can be tricky, even more so on the 28mm figures than the 54's I usually do. I've got a couple thoughts on that... first off, are you holding it my hand or on a tripod? If you're holding it by hand the focus problems could be due to blur since we can't hold the camera perfectly still. I just do it by hand, but turn up the ISO to reduce shutter speed and the blur from shaking. I tend to use an ISO of 800. You should be fine up to 1600 on the canon but I think any further and you start to introduce noise into the image. If it really is just the focus, you can try aiming at different parts of the mini, push the button halfway to freeze the focus/exposure and the recenter the image before taking the photo. Sometimes if I want to focus on a certain part of the figure but can't, say the camera keeps picking the arm as the focus but I want to get the face, I will push the button halfway and then just slightly move closer or farther away before taking the shot. All you need is a tiny adjustment. You can also play with your aperture setting to change your depth of field to make the focus a bit more forgiving. But in the end I just take a lot of photos so I can just toss out the out of focus ones.

Alexandra, yeah I was thinking along the same lines. Once I finish more of the scene I'll decide what to add to the beam.

BFK, I remember hearing about that water drop trick. Although if it truly turns it into a macro lens (as opposed to a zoom) it may not be that helpful. In the MassiveVoodoo camera tutorial they actually talk about not using macromode
    "Most compact cameras and bridge cams have a macromode. Do NOT use it. Taking pictures of your miniature is not macro photography. We do not want to have something small very large. No, we want it just as it is."

While the small base (well, reasonable sized base for the figure) can make creating the scene or telling the story challenging I think that it can also be a good thing. Aside from the obvious (big base means a lot more painting), it forces us to edit and be creative. I've got to put a lot more thought into what I put on that base and why I'm putting it there. It's definitely a struggle, but hopefully the end result will be stronger because of it.

Blog Entries

I bet a chicken or turkey leg would be easy to sculpt! Also goblets aren't too hard. You can lathe them in a drill or dremel.

I am taking my snaps by hand now. I think another problem I had was relying too heavily on a very cheap-o tripod. I also was taking photos at a very high (small) aperture, like f16. This helped my focus problem, but made the minis look really flat. Now I think having a little bit of the mini out of focus gives it a nice life like feel.

BFK, We can do some detail shots from what you send me. Since I am shrinking everything down to look OK on CMON it is easy to leave some parts unshrunk. Just let me know what you like, and I will work it out. No big deal.

In regards to photo the most important thing you can do is turn up the F value (think it is called that) to around 10 that gives you a longer area that is in focus. Lower value gives more light into the camera gives shorter focus length.
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

I made a little more progress on the scenery tonight. I was originally going to use the floor from another kit or use some instant mold to make a copy, but I decided to just make one from balsa wood instead. As before I took an x-acto knife to the edges to get rid of the uniformity and straight lines. I made a little chair/stool the same way and then tore off a chunk. The chain was just me messing around. I actually like having something hanging from the post, although I'm not sure why a chain would be there. Maybe I'll swap it out for some rope. I could do an animal fur hanging there... although that would mean I'd need to sculpt an animal pelt (not likely to turn out well). I did try my hand at sculpting a few plates and cups. They were okay, but not up to the level I'd like. I do have other options. For example a little instant mold and the top of a GW paint pot would get me a nice uniform plate shape at around the right size. I'll have to take a look around and see what else I might be able to use.

Name:  S28.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  165.0 KB Name:  S29.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  192.6 KB

I also made a bunch of coins following a simple tutorial from coloured dust. They'll be a few scattered on the ground with the other debris, but I won't add those until the end.
    http://www.coloureddust.com.pl/2014/...all-coins.html
    Last edited by Bailey03; 10-09-2014 at 03:55 AM.

Nice! Really like your scratch built approach. When I see a mini on a pre made base I am not as impressed as one in a base that was constructed from the imagination of the artist. I think it was a Scale75 figure I saw recently that had a wooden beam similar to yours with a rope with a lantern hanging from it. This would be your best bet, IMO, especially with your proven white OSL skills (Lost in the Woods). I think if you hang a rope from this beam it'll remind me too much of a hangman's post. Another idea is to make it a street sign or maybe even the sign for some establishment, like the Surly Goat.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Everytime I just want to put a caption in the photo that says you must be this tall to ride. :P
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Could tack a simple "menu" onto the beam (and some mistletoe. )

Blog Entries

Looking good! Your faces keep getting better and better.

Blog Entries

Some sort of hanging sign would be super fun, or maybe a coat of arms? Another option would be pots and pans hanging from the beam. Might set your place as a inn or pub. The title of your piece could be "all out of Pilsner"

^+1 on this idea

Well, take one of the quartered shields and put a skull in one corner with X's for eyes. That would be hilarious....
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Those are some cool brewery coat of arms. And I'm sure I could figure out a way to add a few skulls to them. I probably wouldn't have it hanging from the cross beam since that turns it from interior support to signpost. But I could certainly tack it to the vertical beam. I'm still playing around and trying out different options.

Well, while I was trying to make a few base accessories out of milliput I decided to finished off the front of the shield too. The final look for the figure will have more weathering and I thought the shield needed to show a little wear and tear too. The idea is there's a painted leather covering over a wood back. So I spread out some thin sections of putty and created a few holes, tears, and other texturing.
    Name:  S30.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  168.8 KB
    The shield is now primed so hopefully this weekend I can get back to painting. Just need to come up with a good design for the front...

Looking forward to seeing some paint on the shield. Is this one of the possible Adepticon entries?

Thanks, Khonner. Yup, that's the plan. I've changed my mind about my Crystal Brush entries quite a few times. This year they've cut it back to one entry per category so it's tough to decide. But the show will be here before I know it, so I've got to put some entries finished and move on. I'm happy with how this guy has turned out so far and I think there's enough going on for him to be a good competition piece. I also have the mounted knight with the banner that (if I finish it) will go into historical mounted/vehicle. I want to have an entry for large scale too. I'm thinking the gladiator from a few pages back will be my project for that... but that one is more up in the air. If I can get those three entries done early I'll come up with something for one of the fantasy categories.

Yeah, most of my possible entries are still in the "planning" stage. If I do submit anything, I would be happy just getting in the top 10 score wise. Are you sure that the historical single can be 54mm? When I checked their site, they are saying 28-40mm..