Bailey03's WIP - Page 8
Page 8 of 171 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

I've made some more progress on the scourge. I still plan to tweak the armor but I wanted to see how it looked with the other colors first. I'm using this figure to experiment. This weekend it was learning how to paint liquid filled vials.

Name:  scourge04.jpg
Views: 3883
Size:  150.3 KB Name:  scourge05.jpg
Views: 2621
Size:  138.6 KB Name:  scourge06.jpg
Views: 2579
Size:  127.0 KB Name:  scourge07.jpg
Views: 2496
Size:  141.4 KB

Damn! That cream helmet & red armour are stunning. The vials could use a few bubbles in them, but are otherwise solid - or um, liquid.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks, Zab. Nice idea with the bubbles. Have you seen any good examples in the gallery or elsewhere on the internet? I could use a reference to help me get started.

Here is a real life one the I use...

And a painted example (not mine, from GW)...

and a step by step link...
    http://bloodofkittens.com/wargamingh...-4-easy-steps/

I used it on my own DE a while ago (I'll see if i can find a few good pics from y minis tonight). If my skill were better it would have looked awesome. I bet you'll do something good with it
    *EDIT*
    Found a few decent examples on some of my DE...
    Name:  KabaliteWarriorBangs6.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  104.4 KB
    Name:  WychK6.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  121.8 KB
    Blech Not great, but good enough to give an idea.
    Last edited by Zab; 04-15-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks for the examples, I'll have to give that a try.

I'm still plugging along with the scourge. The body is most of the way there. I added the wings, though I still have plenty of painting to do on the feathers. I also created a base for him. I pictured him flying high over Commorragh and thought this looked like a Dark Eldar spire. Just a little more work and I'll be ready to add the other arm and the big gun.

Name:  scourge08.jpg
Views: 3450
Size:  170.8 KB Name:  scourge09.jpg
Views: 9702
Size:  169.7 KB Name:  scourge10.jpg
Views: 4286
Size:  192.2 KB Name:  scourge11.jpg
Views: 3275
Size:  183.8 KB

I'm not fond of the Dark Eldar in general, but I really do like the Scourge models. The work you and Sproket are doing with them makes me like them even more.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Really nice. The red and white are nice combination. I hope you are keeping the wings dark as it looks good with the bright body.

Trystan, yeah, I feel the same way about a lot of the DE models. They've got some cool concept art... if only the figures actually looked like that.

Thanks, KruleBear. I do plan to keep the wings dark. I've got to do something to bring out the detail on the feathers... but overall I want the wings to look black.

Blog Entries

Looking good sir. The red armor is really eye catching and very well done so far.

Love these colour choices.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

This is shaping up really well! I liked the colours a lot before and the overall scheme is coming together very effectively. I really like the spire base too (makes mental note for later plagiarism).

Thanks, Milosh, 10 ball, and Sproket.

Sproket, considering I 'borrowed' the whole scourge idea from your work it's only fair for you to use the spire idea however you like. For anyone interested, as my sculpting skills aren't that good I took some instant mold and made a cast from the front section of a DE Reaver jetbike. I still plan to make the jetbike so I didn't want to cannibalize the actual part. I made a copy and then used green stuff to extend the shape to make it more of a spire. I also thought parts from the DE Raider or Ravager had some potential. I could see making a section of a Commoraggh tower with a doorway and balcony from them. But considering this project was 'just for fun' I didn't feel like buying a whole kit just for the base, so I made do with what I already had.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Thanks, Milosh, 10 ball, and Sproket.

Sproket, considering I 'borrowed' the whole scourge idea from your work it's only fair for you to use the spire idea however you like. For anyone interested, as my sculpting skills aren't that good I took some instant mold and made a cast from the front section of a DE Reaver jetbike. I still plan to make the jetbike so I didn't want to cannibalize the actual part. I made a copy and then used green stuff to extend the shape to make it more of a spire. I also thought parts from the DE Raider or Ravager had some potential. I could see making a section of a Commoraggh tower with a doorway and balcony from them. But considering this project was 'just for fun' I didn't feel like buying a whole kit just for the base, so I made do with what I already had.
    If this is just for fun, I can't imagine what you would do if you get serious

Damn another scourge WIP that has me thinking I should give them a go. Pretty much like Bailey 03, I didn't rate the miniatures until I saw Sprocket's WIP and now this...

... I've gotta stop reading the WIP forum pages. I'm already painting plague bearers because of it.

Ha, thanks Alexandra. By 'just for fun' I meant I didn't start this figure with any real purpose in mind (a contest, as a gift, for sale, etc). Painting without a goal gave me the freedom to experiment and try out some new things without caring if they worked or not. I'm still putting a lot of time into it... I'm just not stressing out about screwing it up.

Ozymandias, yup, that sounds very familiar. I've also got a bunch of plague bearers (some primed, others still being assembled) thanks to seeing them on the forum.

same reason I bought plauge bearers oh and again thanks to you and sproket I have some scourges winging it my way too lol. I'm going to be waiting till I get decent inks and trying a tutorial I seen online though.

I haven't made much more progress on the Scourge. Haven't had much time to paint recently. But I did put together a tutorial on painting skin tones and I thought I'd share the link:

http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/content...ing-Skin-Tones

I talk a bit about my general approach and share several of the mixes I've been using. I figure those of you following this thread might appreciate the info.

Hopefully I'll have some actual painting to share soon!

Newbie, please be gentle chompsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    I haven't made much more progress on the Scourge. Haven't had much time to paint recently. But I did put together a tutorial on painting skin tones and I thought I'd share the link:

http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/content...ing-Skin-Tones

I talk a bit about my general approach and share several of the mixes I've been using. I figure those of you following this thread might appreciate the info.

Hopefully I'll have some actual painting to share soon!
    Excellent tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing that. I, for one, look forward to trying out what you've posted.

I (unfortunately) wasn't able to attend the MFCA show this past weekend outside Philadelphia, but a few friends were kind enough to enter a couple figures for me. Bruiser Gus and the Thraex Gladiator both won silver medals in the Fantasy Painters and Historical Painters categories. The judging at the show is done using the "open system" meaning Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Certificates of Merit are awarded based on the quality of the painting rather than a strict 1st, 2nd, 3rd. So there are many Gold, Silver, etc medals awarded in each category. Still, this show draws a lot of amazing painters from Europe so I was very pleased to get two silver medals.

If you have the opportunity, I really recommend checking out the show. They have it every year in early May and the quality of the entries, especially in the fantasy/sci-fi categories, is really amazing.
    http://www.mfcashow.com/current.html

Here are the two of mine that came away with medals:

Blog Entries

I had to miss the show too. Congrats on the medals sir, very deserved.