Bailey03's WIP - Page 149
Page 149 of 172 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 3436

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Thanks for the heads up, Kretcher. Yeah, there are some nice figures in the old Elite range. I'll be very curious to see which ones they end up releases. Looks like they've got three planned to start, though they're keeping which three a secret for now. Then I guess they will do more over time. I can think of a few I'd like to get, hopefully those will be some of the earlier ones they release!

That's an impressive-looking palette
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Your work is awesome dude! Can't wait to see your work on the Merida fig!

Some great explanations Bailey and much appreciated. BTW I really like the vibrant blue lizard in the savage orc diorama.

Thanks, Meph, Kirr, and Krule!

Krule, I did a bit more work on the lizard last night. It's an important part of the scene/story, so I want to make sure it stands out and doesn't get lost in the rest of the base. I think with this coloring it will be hard to miss! =)
    Name:  OB38.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  199.3 KB

Looks good so far. I'd add yellow spots.

I was thinking red feet, sort of tree frog inspired. After that I might add a few spots on his back, but I'll have to see how it looks along with the orc first.

Tree lizard is a beaut Bails. Leather guide is saved for future reference too.

You're a credit to the hobby buddy.

Thanks, Foxtail!

Krule, I'm pretty sure that's the orc's reaction too! =)

I had a bit more hobby time last night, so I finished off the lizard's feet and made a minor tweak to its face (had a shadow line that bothered me). I also attached the orc's axe, since there's only a little bit more to do on him. The ground for the base still needs work, but it's all coming together. I also broke out the fancy photo setup to take some nicer pictures. I'm going to have to play with the camera settings a bit when I do the final photos. Right now the depth of field is a bit shallow, so either the orc or the lizard is in focus, but rarely both. I can mess around with the aperture to fix that, but for WIP photos its much easier to just keep it on auto.
    Name:  OB39b.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  230.3 KBName:  OB41.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  232.9 KBName:  OB40.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  304.5 KBName:  OB42.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  254.9 KBName:  OB43.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  283.3 KB

Some of you may have noticed I got a bit of dark grey paint on his hand. I was a little bit careless swinging the brush around while working on the base. That will be fixed, but might as well wait until I finish the rest of the orc. As I paint the little bits hanging off the necklace and bracelets, there's a good chance I'll have some additional areas of green to fix before the end. Might as well wait so I only mix of the colors one more time.

I really love how is turning out - very inspiring!
    pax et bonum

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Hmmmm... I haven't really run into the chalky problem with them, so it's hard to say what I'm doing differently. When thinning, my wet palette adds a bit of water and then I might add a drop or two each time I mix the color for an additional layer, but I'm not thinning them down dramatically. If you are working with thinner mixes of the paint, you could try adding a bit of matte medium (and a little less water). That can help the paint behave better when thinned.

The other thing I could think of is the colors you use for highlighting and shading. For highlighting, I rarely grab the pure white. I got the green on the orc to go pretty light with a 50/50 mix of Meadow Green and Surf Aqua and then added some Ghost White (basically a very light blue) at the end. Other colors I use for highlighting are skin tones, vampiric skin (an off white), linen white, etc. On the shading side, I tend to avoid just dark versions of the main color. So if I'm painting green, I might choose a dark purple to shade instead of just using a dark green. For the orc I chose a dark blue (Ritterlich Blue) to shade the green. For reds, a dark purple or dark blue can work well too. For blue, maybe a dark red. You can see from the orc pictures, the shadows don't exactly look blue, but the variation in color creates a more interesting look. If the mix is just dark green, medium green, and light green it can end up looking a bit flat.

Here's a look at the colors I used for the orc skin on the palette. It goes from 50/50 Ritterlich Blue and Peacock Green (on the far left) to 50/50 Peacock Green and Marine Teal (near the middle) to 50/50 Meadow Green and Surf Aqua (3/4 of the way to the right) and then Ghost White (on the far right).
    Attachment 59127

Hopefully something in there is helpful!
    I think you're on to something there! I really gotta start learning about color theory, because I tend to just use dark or lighter versions of the same color I'm using for highlights and shadows... good thing I have tons of practice models to learn all these techniques on! Thanks sir!
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Blog Entries

It's hard to see this not becoming another stone cold classic.

Composition and colors are just wonderful, really like this one.

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Really a great piece there, mate! And a stunning paint job on it to boot!

Stellar work. I especially like the tree roots descending through the layers of earth on the base. Very clever stuff.

Oh yeah, that tree really adds dimension to the whole setup. And the orc's pose in combination with the salamander is just meant to be.

Epic work, even if the orc's toenails are surprisingly clean and well-kept.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Thanks, everyone! SaintToad, I'd be very happy if another piece ends up with that sort of reception! =) Meph, ha, well the nails are one of the parts I've yet to really work on. I'm tempted to keep them purple, but add in some yellow too. I'm really not excited to do some reference work on gross looking toenails... so I may just make something up. =P

Just a tiny update. I've essentially finished painting the ground for the scene. I still plan to add some dead/yellow grass in a few small clumps and maybe some old brown leaves on the ground too. But, that will all wait until the very end. In the meantime, I started on the axe last night (though these pictures are from before then). Sketched on some colors for the stone axe head, but didn't care for it too much and stepped away. I think I'll try again tonight and maybe take a different approach. Hopefully I'll be more happy with the results!
    Name:  OB44.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  185.8 KBName:  OB45.jpg
Size:  209.6 KBName:  OB46.jpg
Size:  233.1 KB

Base is looking grand Bails. I like the idea of purple nails, they'd tie in well with the lips, elbows and knees.

Beautiful stuff all round so far though buddy.

Thanks, Foxtail!

Last night I changed up my approach to the stone axe head and ended up with something I like.
    Name:  OB47.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  174.6 KB

And a closer shot of the axe
    Name:  OB48.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  103.8 KB

I'm now trying to decide what to do with the design element on the axe. The trouble is I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to be. I suppose it could be stone too, but it'd be odd to chisel a design into the axe like that. Plus, there are some sculpted in cracks in the stone part, but they appear to run under (not through) the design element. My next thought is it's something to help hold the axe together and add support. So maybe metal. But there aren't any rivets or anything showing how it'd be attached. It's just a weird little thing on the axe I can't quite figure out. Anyone have any ideas?

At this point I'm leaning towards just treating it as stone and painting some continuing cracks from the rest of the stone portions.