Bailey03's WIP - Page 42
Page 42 of 172 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Hmmmm... not sure why CMON is added the extra box of attached images. Usually that doesn't show up if I've already put them in the body of the post. Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Hmmmm... not sure why CMON is added the extra box of attached images. Usually that doesn't show up if I've already put them in the body of the post. Oh well
    It's been doing some funky stuff for a week or so. Nice work once again. Looks like you are getting faster too
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Blog Entries

That's a great pose. He kind of looks like he is facing off against your hockey goalie, just needs a hockey stick

Oooh, love those scars. Your flesh always looks so...fleshy. Yeah.

The Arena Rex minis look so damn cool, very excited to see you paint some!

that seems like a pretty awesome mini for the scale. would´ve guessed 75mm considering the detail level. great job painting it aswell=)

well everything in this thread is pretty much ace. as for randomized bloodsplatter, i think when participating in any kind of mideval battlefield blood anywhere anyhow anytime make sence. less is more though, i think you do it very tasteful.
    just remembered i also have an incoming arena rex mini, when was that kickstarter, 2 yrs ago? eh...!

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    It's been doing some funky stuff for a week or so. Nice work once again. Looks like you are getting faster too
    yup. I also have not been able to post to the gallery for over a week now.

nice mini Bailey. I like the realistic scars and veins they sculpted on it. What i have seen of this line looks impressive.

Very nice! I want the Vargr figure that Seb Archer sculpted for them. I hope they open up their webstore soon!
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Blog Entries

awesome work in that scale. I haven't seen mine yet and I'm just a state away from them. I think I'll send mine to you for painting:P

Wow bailey you just don't stop. I'm starting to wonder if your actually a painting robot. Another great job. You got skin down to a science.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Fantastic job on the barbarian and the little guy aint too shabby either..

Thanks, everyone!

Zab, I don't know about faster. Still feels like it takes ages to paint. Although 35mm has a lot less area to cover than my usual projects.

Demi, well at three times the size I've gotta put my money on the goalie.

Sionid, ischa, and krule, the detail in this little figure is amazing. Makes it a lot of fun to paint. The sculptor, MIKH, did a few other figures for Arena Rex. I'm still waiting on his Septimus and Nero (a gladiator riding a giant bull). The WIP shots look fantastic and I believe it's almost done. Hopefully they'll ship that one out by Xmas.

Skel, very true. I imagine medieval battles got very messy so blood could be anywhere. I've seen people really cover their figures in blood splatter. It's probably more realistic but I'm not quite that daring.

Ritual, the company said yesterday that they hope to open their webstore by the end of the year. I know they're still shipping KS stuff, but shouldn't be too much longer.

Thanks, digganob and khonner.

Getting very close to finishing Otho. Looks a lot better with more color and the metals done. Just a few details, the base, and probably some weathering. It's a great figure but all those little details can really be a pain. I'm happy to be done with the fish scales and, while I haven't tried the feathers yet, I know they will be trouble.

Blog Entries

Looks great Bailey! I wonder if a little more highlight on the skirt and belt might be nice. This guy looks like he is out in the hot sun and maybe some more highlights in those saturated colors might work with that. I know people don't like to highlight red to orange or pink, but that fabric looks pretty worn. I think it could get some highlights where it has faded or even been sweat stained. Looking forward to seeing the base on there too. You have done quite a few of these sandy arena bases now.

Absolutely stunning armor on him. Looks properly worn and shaded. You always make it look so damn real!!!

Do you mind providing a quick explanation of the armor. As someone who plans to try out some TMM with some Scalecolor some day soon, I am very interested in how you do your metals.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Thanks, Demi. Yeah, the blue could use some more with the highlights. I was being a little tentative with the red but I may go in with a bit more there too.

Thanks, BFK. I pretty much followed how I did the bronze on the Saxon. I started out with Necro Gold, Scale 75's darkest yellow metal, and then mixed it with Burgundy Wine, a dark purple. I use at least 50% purple to help darken it further and cut down on the shine. You could use a dark brown or black, but I figured purple would be a nice contrast to the yellow metal. From there I started to mix in a lighter gold (Elven Gold). At about 50/50 Elven Gold and Necro/Burgundy or perhaps a bit more Elven Gold I started to mix in Thrash Metal instead. This is my top highlight color and is somewhere between gold and silver. I liked it because it's a paler highlight and fits the look I want. After all that I went back in with glazes of dark brown, black, and purple to reinforce the shadows.

The other half of the equation is the placement of highlights and shadows. You've been doing NMM so you've already got a good idea on that. I take the traditional zenithal highlights and attempt to exaggerate them. And then I hit the edges and corners that should catch the light.

And, with the way TMM reacts to light I think it's important to look at it under different conditions. Turn it so the light hits from different angles (with the glare from direct light sometimes it's hard to see how the blends look). I'll even take it into a different room to see how things are going.

I love the vibrant reds and blues. And congrats on maintain your quality and style on the smaller scale.

Blog Entries

I agree with KB, outstanding for this scale or any scale.

Thanks! Although a lot of the credit goes to working with a high quality sculpt and casting. I've seen plenty of figures twice that size with less detail. And I feel pretty fortunate that his head was covered. If I had to paint a face at this scale I'm pretty sure I would have flung the figure across the room in frustration.

That's what all us mortal painters do I thought. You though I am sure have ascended beyond such.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-