Bailey03's WIP - Page 54
Page 54 of 172 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 3428

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Another beautiful mini Bailey. I think i have the wife convinced to go to Chicago for CB at Adepticon, so i can see some of the lovely minis painted by you and the cmon crew....oh and so she can spend some quality time with her brother followed by some family time at the aquarium.

Blog Entries

So, intellectually I understand that the pants aren't just black, but visually they just read as 'black' to me. You might need to start adding some mistakes back in so I can see the paint job...

This guy might be a great candidate for a black on black pattern. Like Ritterlich Blue with Walnut brown over the 'black'. Or even a pattern in gloss varnish might be cool. Scratch that I am using that idea too. What can I say your work is inspiring.

That mini is looking great, I love the muted tones. It definitely has the sense of lurking in the shadows.
    For the pants, I think a thorn design going down one side would work nicely. Maybe something like this.

Yeah, I was thinking something like that, fluisterwoud. But in the end decided to just keep it simple. Demi, I was tempted to do a black on black pattern (sort of the reverse of the banner for the mounted knight from a while ago) but the way the folds and shading are on the rear of the legs... I felt like a subtle pattern wouldn't work. Either the pattern would get lost in the shading or the shading would get lost in the pattern. Krule, I'm glad to hear you'll be at Crystal Brush. We've got a good group of CMON people going. Should be fun!

Well, this figure is just about finished. Now I'm turning my attention to the base. I've build a couple structure bases for figures (Bruiser Gus, the Saxon) but nothing at this large a scale (75mm). I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I'm got a few ideas but need to work out the details more. Time to look up some references and find a little more inspiration.

wow! have to say i never been a fan of this mini but this make me reconsider. best version ive seen

Thanks, Skel! Yeah, there are definitely some things I'd change about the sculpt if I could (like the proportions and some of the details). But I really wanted to paint a fantasy piece in this scale and he had a certain amount of creepiness to him which fit my mood.

I've started to build up a scene for the dark elf. The general idea is he's up on the second floor of a building stalking an unseen target. The main structure is there but still lots of details to add. It's one of my largest bases and definitely the largest structure I've attempted to build. I'm enjoying the attempt and it's a good learning experience... though I'm beginning to second guess myself. The figure has a very simple paint job, so does a big complex base clash with that? Should I go for something simpler? Then again, a big base might tell more of a story. I'm curious to get people's reactions to what I have so far. I might start building an alternative to see which I like better. If I do keep this base it would be painted in the same color scheme as the figure, with a bit of color in front of him (like he's sneaking towards a lit area).

Blog Entries

Bailey, my first impression is that the base is a little big for your mini. It's hard tell with out paint but maybe the walk way could be narrower? The second thing I am thinking is that he is a pretty chaotic looking guy so some chaos in the scene might help, like maybe a busted handrail. It does sort of remind me of some of t the kingdom death vignettes out there though. Like the guy that took the 5th dimension contest. Maybe just needs a touch of the surreal. He is sort of a sand man type character.

The base itself looks great, but I do think the big complex base clashes with the simpleness of the mini. I love the story you have going on though. Maybe he could be standing at the top of a simple staircase with railing, sneaking in from the 2nd story to kill someone on the first floor.

Wow! Beautiful painting! you are levelling on my fav artist chart all the time.

I like the base a lot, but I have to agree with the previous speakers, it seems big ... HOWEVER, once you mute down the colors of the base, I think it will be a far better fit. I realize that this is a lot of work just to 'try it'... but could be worth it. Thing is, it looks great, even if he is a bit small in there. I think that once painted, it will tell a lot of story.

Wow Bailey, another eye candy mini! Love the way gave a orverall dark look to it without the mini looking boring.

Brilliant idea for the base, inspirational and blends perfectly with the dark elf. Are you planning a street light / torch to cast off some OSL across the scene ?

The Base reminds me of just before the fight sceen in the monkey king with jacky chan at the inn. I think the scale looks accurate and looking forward to seeing the base with some colour-less colour.

The skill of every one here is amazing, I remeber my 1st mini and posting him thinking I did a great job of painting an orc green!(little did I know then) You guys opened my eyes to what he should look like. Bailey the details of your work and tonal variation have improved beyond my current comprehension. under 2 years ago this was what I gazed apon and it blew my mind. Paint on matey.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Canny; 01-21-2015 at 02:57 PM.

I think you need to slap some paint on it first to see wether it works or not. I definatley think you need to do a spotlight on his area otherwise he will get lost in the scene. This has the potential to go as good as the hobbit one.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

The Dark Elf looks absolutely fantastic and I think the base will work well with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    I think you need to slap some paint on it first to see wether it works or not. I definatley think you need to do a spotlight on his area otherwise he will get lost in the scene. This has the potential to go as good as the hobbit one.

That's some smart thinking.

The base argument makes much sense to me also, maybe all the 'solid' part of the building could be left out of frame, that would also allow to look at the mini from all 360'
    CMON painter born and raised, soft seven and proud
    Gblaw studio online
    My latest, thanks for watching

I agree with some of the others, I think you need to get some paint on the base to truely see how works with the mini.. Looking forward to more.

Love the base, but may be too big to showcase the mini. I agree to slap some paint on it first. If it looks odd then, i would agree with narrowing the walkway. Probably also eliminate the handrail...maybe replace with a couple short posts for anchoring a get away boat and assume it is along a wharf.