Bailey03's WIP - Page 56
Page 56 of 172 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 3428

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Krule, I used a slightly different mix for the left side of the head and neck before settling on the paints I used for the rest of the horse. However I don't really notice a difference in person. It could be the camera/lights adding a slight variation in color.

BFK, that's too bad. Looks like a good group going to CB this year. But I can definitely understand. This just means you should have plenty of time to make some killer entries for the following year. The California shows I'm aware of are:
    SCAHMS - Los Angeles on April 10/11 - this uses the open system of judging and should have a good mix of historical, fantasy, and sci-fi
    Califaux - Sacramento on June 5-7 - looks to be all Malifaux for the painting comp
    Bay Area Open - San Jose around late July (I don't see a date yet, but last year was the end of July)
    And near CA there's the Las Vegas Open (Feb 20-22)

This year I'll definitely be at the SCAHMS show. I'm hoping to get to the Bay Area Open, but I won't be able to commit until a lot closer to the event. The BAO isn't a large show, but it's a Crystal Brush qualifier and has some nice prizes (plus some seminars). Plus I have family in San Jose. In terms of number and quality of entries, I'd expect SCAHMS to be the biggest. I don't know much about the Las Vegas open, but it's got a nice list of hobby seminars. Too short notice for this year, but I may look into it for 2016.

I've made some more progress on the knight. Did a few more sections of black (just the tail and hooves left), then took a break and did the horse's equipment. For this I used the same color as the sash around the knight's waist and the design on the banner. I also slid the banner into place just to see how it all looks together.

Clap clap clap clap!!!!! Outstanding. This has to be one of my favorite minis of yours, partially because of the outstanding metallics and use of white, and partially because of my partiality to the early (1st) Crusades.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

That looks incredible Bailey!
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Nice paint as usual! The color of the horse is supposed to be black, but looks more like blue roan to me. I googled black horses and lots of them have very sharp contrasts between dark black and very shiny reflections. Many highlights was like on the metal surfaces and usually the reflection was on the opposite side from the direction of light. No one of this is presented on this horse, but if it is blue roan, it is almost perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    Clap clap clap clap!!!!! Outstanding. This has to be one of my favorite minis of yours, partially because of the outstanding metallics and use of white, and partially because of my partiality to the early (1st) Crusades.
    we need a cmon book of just Bailey's masterpieces.

whats you recipe for the red on the horse and belt ? Looks really rich velvety fabric.
    CMON painter born and raised, soft seven and proud
    Gblaw studio online
    My latest, thanks for watching

Thanks, everyone. BFK, it's one of my favorite sculpts and I'm really happy with how it's turning out. Persifal, that high sheen on a black horses coat is tough to replicate. I may give it another go on a different project, so if this looks more blue roan than I'm fine with that. Krule, ha, well it'd be a pretty short book. More of a pamphlet or handout.

GreenOne, for the horse equipment and knight's sash I started with a deep purple (Reaper's Burgundy Wine). For the midtone I took Violet Red and mixed it with a medium grey like Stormy Grey (50/50 or 60/40). Then for the highlight I used Pale Violet Red and mixed that with Misty Grey (a light grey). Mixing the reds with cool greys created pale purples.

tks a lot, its a nice route for red
    CMON painter born and raised, soft seven and proud
    Gblaw studio online
    My latest, thanks for watching

Blog Entries

I agree with what Persifal is saying, I said something similar a while ago, but I wouldn't touch that horse, it looks very beautiful and the blue seems to be setting off your burgundy on the horses harness and banner. Well done!

F
    Quote Originally Posted by Demihuman View Post
    I agree with what Persifal is saying, I said something similar a while ago, but I wouldn't touch that horse, it looks very beautiful and the blue seems to be setting off your burgundy on the horses harness and banner. Well done!
    That is exactly right, they compliment one another just right. And thank you for the recipe. I always admire painters that find such subtly different ways to achieve their tones. Who'd have thought to use the pale grey in that mixture, for instance.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Demi, yeah, I remember that. That's why I was trying to push the highlights, but never really tried to replicate the sheen.

BFK, grey is a useful color for some mixes. I've used grey with dark colors (dark blue, dark green) to get desaturated highlights. But mixing them with medium shades can produce some interesting results too. Say I was going to do a night goblin, I might mix a regular green 50/50 with grey. Grey + blue or grey + brown can also produce interesting results. It's something to keep in mind and experiment with later.

Blog Entries

Damn man, that is awesome.

Thanks, Milosh!

I haven't had much painting time, but did manage to make some progress. The rider is finally glued down. At the same time I put on the front of the saddle and his stirrups. I did some small detail work like the leather straps on his head and shoulders, plus the stirrups. I also took care of the rest of the saddle area. I then spent some time on the rear of the shield putting in a wood texture (even though you can barely see it). Once that was attached I took care of the front. The white background has a slight gradient, though it needs more contrast. I'll go back in and work on it some more. Plus, I'll be doing plenty of weathering to the front when I finally get to that stage, so that will make it look a bit more interesting.

The blending is superb it's a lovely piece of work. I'm always impressed with your whites the smooth transition is great and I thinkis one of your signature effects. In non Vallejo colours think GW what mix would you use?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Very nice and clean work, congrat for this!

Thanks, Rothskin and Andy! Hmmm... tough question. I'm not as familiar with the GW colors so I'm basing this on the images from their website (so it's a bit tough to really tell what the color looks like). I like to work with off whites, but typically avoid greys. The white on the knight above are Reaper's Bone Shadow, Weathered Stone, and Leather White. Looking at GW I'd say Karak Stone or Zandri Dust for Bone Shadow, Terminatus Stone looks pretty close to Weathered Stone, and Ceramite White might stand in for Leather White (something just a little off from pure white). A number of the GW dry paints look good (Tyrant Skull, Terminatus Stone, Underhive Ash), but I'm not sure if they thin very well or really just work for dry brushing. Screaming Skull, Ushabti Bone, Pallid Wych Flesh, and Rakarth Flesh also look like colors that could work for the white mixes. Pick a light color for the midtone but leave yourself enough room to still highlight. Unless I'm going for a bright white, often I won't even use pure white or, if I do, it's very limited.

Here's an older version of the knight. On the banner I've block in the colors using Leather White (lightest), Bone Shadow (darkest), and Weathered Stone (intermediate shade). I've also used the bone colors, bone shadow, aged bone, polished bone, and then leather white which would produce similar results.

For the Dark Elf's skin I used Reaper's Dusky Skin, Dusky Skin Highlight, and Vampiric Skin

If you have a nice selection of off white paints you can come up with all sorts of variations.

Cheers mate much appreciated. I learn something from CMON every day.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

I have to agree that the way you portray white so softly and subtly is a fine point of your style. Just learned quite a bit from your explanation, most notably that you use Browns and not grays to shade them. I have the Scale75 Black and White set, which includes many colors similar to the ones you describe. I am kinda anxious to try out some white garments.