Bailey03's WIP - Page 12
Page 12 of 172 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Thanks, Tee and Milosh.

The lancer is finally far enough along that I can add the rider to the horse. It's really satisfying to see this figure all together, especially after I've been working on him in pieces for so long. There are still a few parts to add (carbine, bayonet, sword, and the reins) but those are just minor details. Of course now the real trick is to finish painting him without accidentally bumping him into something and bending that lance in half.

Name:  pl38.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  248.3 KB Name:  pl39.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  216.3 KB Name:  pl40.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  232.4 KB Name:  pl41.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  299.2 KB Name:  pl43.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  207.6 KB

top notch work sir! I'm always impressed with your layers smoothness.

This past weekend was NOVA Open. It's a show in the DC area that is primarily gaming (Warhammer, Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, etc) but for the past two years has added a special painting competition (beyond the usual best painted army awards). They've also teamed up with CMON to make the show a crystal brush qualifier, so the winner of best in show gets a trip to Adepticon.

This was my first time going and it was certainly an interesting experience. I came by on Saturday to enter my figures and take a seminar on using pigments from MisterJustin of Secret Weapon Miniatures. I then left and returned Sunday for another seminar, this time on airbrushing, and for the final judging and awards. Unfortunately between Saturday and Sunday things did not go so well. The show is at a hotel and around 12:40 am a wedding guest got completely trashed and went on a rampage. In addition to other damage around the hotel he tore down a few of the NOVA banners and attempted to knock over one of the model display cases. He didn't actually manage to knock the case over, but he did slam it into a column hard enough to take a chunk out of the column, and damage 7 of the figures (5 of which were mine). Needless to say I was not happy. The Lancer took the worst of it, you can see some of the damage below. The photos don't show everything. The rider was very loose, the gladiator's right leg is broken at the knee, the aquilifer is halfway coming off the base, and there are numerous chips and bent parts (plus two other figures with damage). Long story short, hotel security got involved and a police report was filed. The judges explained what the figures were worth and there have been assurances from the bridal party and the guests father that they will pay for the damages. I don't blame the show, they did their best, had locked display cases, etc. You don't really expect a guest to try and tackle one. It's also helping them make the argument to the hotel that they need a more secure place for overnight storage next year.
    Name:  damage1.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  176.8 KB Name:  damage2.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  184.0 KB

So, that's the bad part of the weekend. The good parts were the classes, two interesting seminars by MisterJustin. I wish I'd taken a few more. And some friends and I did quite well when it came to the competition. I came away with two gold medals for historical collection (my set of Roman figures... luckily the judges saw them before the damage) and historical large figure (for the hockey goalie), plus a bronze medal in both fantasy and sci-fi small figure (bruiser gus and one of my space marines). By chance I noticed a small issue with the goalie and took him home that night to fix it, so he escaped the rampage unscathed. The goalie also won best in show, the judges really liked all of the freehand work, so it looks like I'll have to start working on some entries for Crystal Brush! As far as shows go, I thought this one had some really nice prize packages, especially for what's basically a regional show. First place in each of the 9 categories plus fan favorite and best in show walked away with a Grex airbrush plus vouchers for Secret Weapon and a local hobby store, Games 'n Stuff. They also had, in my opinion, one of the nicer trophies I've seen (with the exception of Crystal Brush... those are just awesome looking).
    Name:  NovaTrophy.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  109.8 KB

So, not a perfect weekend, but aside from one drunken jack@$$ it was a neat show. If you're anywhere near the DC area I'd really recommend checking it out next year.

Blog Entries

oh man that is brutal, but what a great story. Stories like that will last forever and will become funny over time. Congrats on the BOS, I certainly do not disagree with their choice, that goalie is awesome. Are you going to Chicago in October? I am thinking of it and it would be nice to finally meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Well, I've finally finished the goalie. The writing on the pads turned out not to be quite as hard as I thought. But writing 'EVOLUTION' in tiny letters 6 different places did take a lot of concentration. I tried my best to match the font styles for the KOHO pads and the Sher-Wood stick... maybe not quite as closely as I'd like, but short of getting a stencil it's the best I was able to do. Overall I'm very pleased (and relieved) with how he turned out. I might still make one or two small tweaks so I'll wait another few days before uploading him to the main gallery. I hope you all like the end result. Now I'm looking forward to getting back to some sci-fi and fantasy figures.

Attachment 21113
    Browsing through your thread and came across this and just had to post "wow"! I didn't even know they made hockey miniatures

Fantastic work!

dude, what a jackass... um... ... hope you get some real compensation although money dont really cover this. im glad you did well in the competiton though, happy for you!

Bad & good news then. Id be interested to know if the judges hadnt seen the minis before the damage if they could of still judged them fairly ?

Congrats on the wins, well deserved mate
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
    oh man that is brutal, but what a great story. Stories like that will last forever and will become funny over time. Congrats on the BOS, I certainly do not disagree with their choice, that goalie is awesome. Are you going to Chicago in October? I am thinking of it and it would be nice to finally meet up.
    Congrats on the well deservd win and this will definately be a story you will remember forever.

Now i hope the drunk jack@$$ at least spent time in jail or got the crap beat out of him by security. I have problems tolerating those who disrespect others property...sorry for the rant.

damm, i want to horse kick that guy in the nads. your minis didn't deserve that at all

Congrats on the prizes. As for the rest, if you can't prevent it you just don't mull over it.

Ouch. Glad you got a fair shake from the judges though. It'll be awesome to see some of your stuff at Crystal Brush.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Thank you for the support everyone! You know, I have no problem with people drinking to enjoy themselves. But you can't lose control of yourself. I mean, you're at a wedding, not a frat party. My wife and I were saying we feel bad about my figures but we also feel bad for the couple that was getting married. We would have been horrified if one of our friends had acted like that at our wedding. But what is done is done, so no point in dwelling on it. Plenty of unfinished figures to paint and hopefully my order from Forge World will arrive this week.

Milosh, no, I won't be at the MMSI show in October (though I'd love to go sometime). I'm planning to attend the Long Island show in November and I'm tentatively planning to make the Atlanta show in February. Let me know if you'll be at either of those, it would be fun to finally meet up. The Crystal Brush competition is during AdeptiCon which isn't until April.

10Ball, yeah, I think it would be tough to give the broken minis a fair judging. You can still look at the painting quality, blending, shading, etc. But you lose the overall feel of the piece when it's in pieces. =P At least at NOVA the judges gave the figures a numerical score on Saturday to see which ones would be included in the final judging, so they had something to reference on Sunday.

Trystan, I'll look forward to seeing you at Adepticon. Are you going to enter anything in Crystal Brush? I've started working on plans for what I'd like to bring... I've got some kickstarter figures scheduled to arrive in December that should be just perfect. I'm sure I'll have a mix of stuff but I'll probably focus more on historical. Looking at this years competition I figure that's the only place I even have a chance of placing. Of course who knows what will show up next year. In the end I just want to go for fun and to see all the amazing entries.

Building Bases

I gave a presentation at my modeling group's meeting last month on groundwork for minis. I'm by no means an expert, but it's something I've been working on and trying to improve. My talk was to share what I've been learning and get a conversation going with the group on some of their tips and tricks as well, which it did. But, since I went to all that work, I thought I'd share some of it here too.

Back in July I posted a few pictures of a base I was building for a vampire lord from GW. Here are some more details on what I did. For the basic base structure I'm working with cork. The bottom is a thin piece of cork tile (you can find cork tile at most arts and crafts stores near their bulletin board section) torn to the size of the wood base. Tearing as opposed to cutting gives you a much more organic shape and interesting texture. I then took a couple thick pieces to build my structure. These are torn from a cork trivet sold at Ikea (you can get three for $3). I thought it needed more height so in the second image I've added another piece. I continued to add little bits of cork and tear other parts away until I had the shape I wanted (pictures 3 and 4). When I'm attaching the cork I use thick superglue. It runs less and works well for this application. You can see I've also started to add some extras. These are skulls from Secret Weapon Miniatures, parts of a fence from a Busch railway kit, some grave stones from another railway kit, some balsa wood, a chain from GaleForce 9, and some bricks from Secret Weapon. You can also see a few 'hairs' from a coconut on picture 4 used to mimic roots. The figure is sitting on top of the base to check the overall look and feel.
    Name:  v_series1.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  635.1 KB

In this second series I've now added more detail. I've taken sand to give the base more texture and fill in gaps. For this I brush on white glue and then sprinkle the sand over it. Don't cover all of the cork, you want some of that texture as well. I've bent and broken the fence, I've used an x-acto knife to cut cracks and chips in the tombstones, and added a few more pieces to the base (skulls and skeleton bits, another tombstone, etc). From these early pictures it is easy to see the different materials that go into making up the base. On the final two pictures I have primed the base. I'm pre-shading with the primer. So I begin by covering the base entirely with a coat of black primer. Once dry I return with white primer but spray it only from above (and at a slight angle around the base). This helps me pick out the dirt texture using only a series of washes plus some dry brushing. The whole base looks much more cohesive now and it is ready to paint.
    Name:  v_series2.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  838.7 KB

On a side note, I normally would not attach the figure to the base before painting. However in this case part of the base is integrated in to the figure's sculpt. So, to get a smooth transition between the sculpted base and mine I was forced to add it on early. Also the vampire does have a head. I've just left it off to make painting it easier.

I learned a lot from the tutorials on MassiveVoodoo and I thought the basing video on Miniature Mentor was excellent. They are both great resources for more information.

WOW fantastic looking base!
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Blog Entries

very very cool sir. I'll be in Atlanta for that show, never miss this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    I learned a lot from the tutorials on MassiveVoodoo and I thought the basing video on Miniature Mentor was excellent. They are both great resources for more information.

As I said before, that's a great base you got there.
    Thanks for the links. It helps a lot since I'm stuck with how to base a mini I'm finishing.

beautiful beautiful base.
    what busch kit did you pull the fences from may i ask?
    i'd make you a sandwitch, but cannibalism is illegal in my country.
    WIP thread

It was the Busch Wrought Iron Fence 65cm. Its Busch # 6016 and it's HO scale. I've seen other plastic fence kits but I think this one looks the best. You can also find some pretty ornate etched brass fences (I think ScaleLink has some nice ones... though I haven't ordered any yet).

As I recall you get quite a few in a bag. Looking at the kit picture I see 5 of the fence units (plus 6 of the brick columns). For some reason I think the bag contained twice that number... but I'll have to double check.